U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 06:49 PM

28 posts, read 17,762 times

Advertisements

My neighbor passed away and her cats came to my house. I have seven cats of my own. I felt bad for my neighbor's cats so I have been feeding them. It is costing me a lot of money to keep all of the cats feed. I really don't want to call animal control to pick up the cats but I may have to. I have seven cats because I am always picking up strays but I just can't handle anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 07:40 PM

22,631 posts, read 13,075,134 times
How many cats did your deceased neighbor have?

Old 11-01-2015, 07:42 PM

12,054 posts, read 21,070,209 times
Contact Faithful Friends, Faithful Friends - Site
Faithful Friends Animal Society
12 Germay Drive
Wilmington DE 19804

Phone: (302) 427-8514
Fax: (302) 427-2855

There is also Forgotten Cats, http://www.forgottencats.org and Castaway Cats at
Castaway Cats - Home

We adopted our two cats from Castaway and I do understand how expensive it is because we are also feeding four strays in the neighborhood.

As expensive as it can be, you are doing a good thing by helping these cats to survive.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:17 AM

8,056 posts, read 11,593,585 times
Two schools of thought here in all 3 counties, feed the cats? or is that compounding the issue?

From the article below
Some people feed feral cats, but what often happens is that the food attracts more cats, the cats have more kittens and the number of cats to feed continues to increase until it can become overwhelming.
Dr. Waters agreed.
“Some people think they’re doing a good deed by feeding these cats, but that may be the problem as well. The more food, the more the cats will come to a specific area and the more they will continue to multiply.”

No purr-fect solution to feral cats - Delaware State News | Delaware State News

Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 AM

789 posts, read 817,573 times
SPCA Sussex Chapter in Georgetown. Gets them fixed and into homes.

Alternatively, Worcester County Humane Society in West OC.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:46 AM

6,147 posts, read 5,766,167 times
TNR the cats: "Trap, Neuter, Release". Alley Cat Allies puts out a very useful booklet on how to do it, entitled How to Help Feral Cats: A Step By Step Buide to Trap-Neuter-Return. Their website is: www.alleycat.org

It's the smart and humane thing to do, and not as difficult as you might think.

Best wishes!

Old 11-02-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
TNR the cats: "Trap, Neuter, Release". Alley Cat Allies puts out a very useful booklet on how to do it, entitled How to Help Feral Cats: A Step By Step Buide to Trap-Neuter-Return. Their website is: www.alleycat.org

It's the smart and humane thing to do, and not as difficult as you might think.

Best wishes!
All of the local rescues will trap and neuter. Not sure if they bring them back to the same area or take them to the humane society. The time that we had it done, we adopted the cat.

While it can be a problem to feed strays, I have been taking care of the same cats for several years. One was barely living when he showed up at my home, but I worked with my vet to make sure he had meds and plenty of food to eat, along with a heated shelter. Quite a few of my neighbors also feed these cats. When I can (and if they will let me), I do take them for their shots.

I just know that if something happened where my pets got out and seemed to disappear, I would hope that someone would take a good interest in them. However, it can be a real problem as the food can attract other animals.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:14 PM

28 posts, read 17,762 times
Thanks for all the advice.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:34 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,358,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post

I just know that if something happened where my pets got out and seemed to disappear, I would hope that someone would take a good interest in them. However, it can be a real problem as the food can attract other animals.

I have heard of it attracting foxes.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
[/color]
I have heard of it attracting foxes.
That is absolutely correct. We have several red foxes in our wooded area and there is a small one that sometimes dines on my stoop. Surprised me the first time, but there does not seem to be any problems so far. I am always checking to see who/what is out front and I rarely see a fox, skunk (which I can smell), or possum. Usually just the few cats that roam the neighborhood looking to see who has food out for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware