U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 24,466 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have decided that we want to be close to the nightlife, other young couples, etc, while we are young before we settle into a more quiet, rural area. To that end we have heard that the Trolley Square area in Wilmington would be a good bet for us. In addition, it would shorten up my commute to grad school by about an hour and we have been able to find more practical housing for our current needs. I have a couple questions about it thought.

How far can you travel from Trolley Square before you wind up in a "bad area"?

How is the public transportation in Wilmington? Is it clean? Safe? Punctual?

How far/ how long would it take to get to a hospital from that area? I know there is a concern about the quality of care in general in the state, is it any better or worse in Wilmington?

How long would it actually take to get from Wilmington to Philly at rush hour driving? Is there a train that goes between the two? Same question for Towson, MD.

And last is a long shot, but, does anyone know whats going on with the 1401 building in Trolley Square? There are several 1 bed, 1 bath condos my boyfriend and I are looking at in Trolley Square within our price-range, and we figured out that several (like 5) are in this same building. Should this be a red flag for us? Are they under new management? Just hike up thier HOA fees? Or is there something else we should know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 05:46 PM

125 posts, read 428,885 times
The 1401 building is on Pennsylvania Avenue, which is probably the busiest road in the city (4-6 lanes & becomes rt. 52). That could be the reason... but I don't know anything about the management, etc.

A good website for checking out the local real estate is pattersonschwartz.com (I'm not a realtor and not affiliated with them). They have a map you can use to check out the properties for sale. There is always stuff available in Trolley Square, I think just because couples get older and have kids, and decide to move to the suburbs.

The entire Trolley Square area is pretty good, and much of it to the north & west is beautiful & expensive. The roughest nearby area is Hilltop, which begins at approximately 7th Street (south/southwest of Trolley Square). Otherwise, Wilmington's high crime areas that you may have heard about are mostly on the other side of I-95, the east side, etc.

St. Francis Hospital is located at 8th & N. Clayton Street, and the Wilmington Hospital is at Washington & 14th Street (just the other side of I-95). Both are close and very good.

Hopefully someone else can give you tips on traveling around.... I don't use public transportation anymore, but I've heard the buses are reliable, and this year they are finally beginning Sunday service.

Last edited by mikandmari; 02-06-2008 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware