U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:29 AM

9 posts, read 11,943 times

Advertisements

I live in PA and currently pay 3997.00$ a year for property and school tax. My house is a 3BR 1.5Bath all brick 1500sq foot + 200sq foot garage on .09 acre appraised at 129,000.$ York County Spring Garden Township York Suburban School District. Every year the taxes go up. I hate the taxes here. Im not planning to have any children so a great school district is of no concern to me. When I see how LOW the taxes are in Delaware for comparable homes I am dubious. For real? Are there separate school taxes from the property taxes? I'm confused, because it seems to good to be true. My property tax I can live with but the school tax is crushing. Can someone give me some information on how school taxes work in Delaware please? I am very interested in the Milford and Lincoln area. I don't want to live in a planned development(HOAs make me nervous) but find a neighborhood with sidewalks attractive. My concern is that just because property taxes are low, am I going to be smacked with an outrageous school tax? Are the school taxes included in property tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,030,667 times
Here in Sussex County yes the taxes are all on one bill.( In unincorporated area). I can not even imagine almost $4K property tax.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,026,424 times
Ouch. 4K/year in property taxes, how this could be...
I am super unhappy with property taxes here in TX (this state has 3rd highest property tax rates in the US), but your rate seems to be not much different from TX. I thought it is much better in PA (this state is somewhere in the middle).
I was thinking, either DE or PA for a future life, but now PA seems not a good option because of property taxes. Only DE for sure.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:47 AM

Ok. Phew. I'm so relieved that there isn't some hidden school tax! Also I forgot the sewer/refuse tax we have here, it keeps fluctuating... the township USED to collect it, THEN the private contractor collected it...but NOW you can pay it at the water company... I have to check where to pay it before I send payment. I think it is around 700.00 a year? Or maybe 250.00 a quarter? That's horrible that I don't know, I just pay it because I know I can't avoid it. I have no idea how they come to decide on a price, if its based on value of house or a flat rate per household, or number of people in household... And why sewer is on same bill as refuse is odd. I mean the sewer is DIFFERENT from garbage cans on street... All I know is they come twice a week (NOBODY in my neighborhood puts out trash 2xs a week, even the families w/ a bunch of kids) for garbage and once a week for recycling. How does garbage pickup work in Milford area?

Old 01-18-2016, 11:09 AM

Delaware has changed a lot over the years, many pros and cons involved. The unleashed zoning is something I don't understand. Do they ever vote "NO" to anything? I had been looking at Delmar but there was something that was missing... can't articulate what exactly, but something makes me hesitate. It didn't seem very cohesive in any plan for the future. It seemed like the integrity of the town and its development was chaotic. Will it be clean and peaceful in the future? Or just junky and bitter? Milford and surrounding area seems more stable. Yes or no? I just am curious to hear what other people think.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauxPurdy View Post
All I know is they come twice a week (NOBODY in my . How does garbage pickup work in Milford area?
It may vary with different private collectors. .We have regular trash weekly and recyclable and yard waste (separate) biweekly.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:19 PM

7,351 posts, read 10,790,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauxPurdy View Post
I live in PA and currently pay 3997.00$ a year for property and school tax. My house is a 3BR 1.5Bath all brick 1500sq foot + 200sq foot garage on .09 acre appraised at 129,000.$ York County Spring Garden Township York Suburban School District. Every year the taxes go up. I hate the taxes here. Im not planning to have any children so a great school district is of no concern to me. When I see how LOW the taxes are in Delaware for comparable homes I am dubious. For real? Are there separate school taxes from the property taxes? I'm confused, because it seems to good to be true. My property tax I can live with but the school tax is crushing. Can someone give me some information on how school taxes work in Delaware please? I am very interested in the Milford and Lincoln area. I don't want to live in a planned development(HOAs make me nervous) but find a neighborhood with sidewalks attractive. My concern is that just because property taxes are low, am I going to be smacked with an outrageous school tax? Are the school taxes included in property tax?

Here's our County Tax Bill. We have a home we love in the Caesar Rodney School District, built in the late 1800's, having 1850 sfla, 4 BR 1.5 Baths, a basement, a larger lot than we need, and a 2 car detached garage. We live in a town, so we also pay town taxes, which are slightly more than the county tax shown below, because trash pick up is included. Also consider, we are seniors so only pay 1/2 of the school tax bill. Yes, it is for real. Our county tax bill per year is $289.36, and our home is not a dump.
Entity CodeTax descriptionTax Amount
CNTYCOUNTY TAX 72.90
LBCOUNTY LIBRARY TAX 8.02
CAESAR RODNEY SCHOOL 150.06
CAESAR RODNEY CAPITATION 24,00
VOCAVOCATIONAL SCHOOL 34.38
TOTAL TAX FOR YEAR 2015 - $ 289.36

Last edited by rdlr; 01-18-2016 at 06:36 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 08:32 AM

7,863 posts, read 10,545,026 times
I am in Rehoboth but outside the city limits so I only pay the county taxes.

My current tax bill was $1345.46 including school taxes of $1072.66 I also pay 91.75 per quarter for sewer and our trash is additional, but as part of a HOA we have negotiated a great rate. When I hit 65, the school taxes will be decreased by up to $500 as of now, but that may be changing.

As a point of reference, we came from Long Island, my school taxes when we left almost 3 years ago were just shy of $6500 and the property were $3150.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am in Rehoboth but outside the city limits so I only pay the county taxes.

My current tax bill was $1345.46 including school taxes of $1072.66 I also pay 91.75 per quarter for sewer and our trash is additional, but as part of a HOA we have negotiated a great rate. When I hit 65, the school taxes will be decreased by up to $500 as of now, but that may be changing.

As a point of reference, we came from Long Island, my school taxes when we left almost 3 years ago were just shy of $6500 and the property were $3150.

Considering how much you are saving you could choose to not apply for your senior discount and support the school system. I know that is a novel but having had my son and now grandchildren in the system that is what I do.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:42 PM

7,863 posts, read 10,545,026 times
^^
We still have some time before we need to decide that, but it is up for consideration and we have already discussed it. We do go back and forth as we are big believers in the value of education and I never missed a school Board meeting unless there was a conflict that was unavoidable when we lived in NY. I was often mistaken for a parent because I often would speak in favor of programs that I thought were important despite the costs and would often be opposed by many my own age who had long since put their kids through the schools and didn't want to pay another dime.

I will honestly share our debate. We unfortunately were not blessed with kids but paid dearly for many years for education and facilities that we often felt were lacking despite paying the big numbers. NY vs. DE. is truly apples and oranges and one has nothing to do with the other. We extract(ed) nothing from either school system and never will, we in fact are the perfect host, giving support and taking nothing out. We will revisit this in another 2+ years and see how we feel. One of our own discussion points is that we watch the district budgets and see how the money is spent in terms of cost allocation. I will share that we are in general pleased with that trend. We will take into account our expenses at that time too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or