U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 AM

2 posts, read 12,445 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll be moving to DE with my family shortly and looking for some nice apartments. Office is in Wilmington downtown and so looking for apartments within 10 miles from the city.
I did some research on Wilmington and its surrounding cities and found that the crime rate is very high in most of the areas. Found that New Castle, Claymont, Bear and some areas of Newark/Wilmington are relatively safer.
New Castle would be close to my work. Deemer's Landing apartments seem to be decent from pics n stuff...but I read somewhere that the apartment is built on a radioactive waste land. Is that true?
Are New Castle and Claymont good residential areas? I also heard from somebody that many apartments in New Castle are built on Industrial dump sites. Is that true?
Pike Creek is in the list of CNN's 2007 "100 best places to live". But, I couldn't find any apartments in that city. Are there any apartments in that area?

Please suggest some good places to look for an apartment.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 12,455 times
I also am moving to DE at the end of May. I've been looking primarily in Newark as I am a 37 year old widow with a 7 year old son and I need a good school system and a safe place for us to live....anyone with advice on apartments, elementary schools and daycares in the area, feel free to send it along! Thanks for the help!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 20,387 times
Hi Ladies,

I don't know the age of srikalyan, nor price range for rent, but the Bear area has a nice apartment and townhouse rentals at St. Andrews. I am 40 and own my own home, but I used to be a leasing and rental agent in the Claymont area some time ago. Claymont is a very convienent area in terms of close proximity to 95, but that does give some draw backs. If you have children, I think the Bear area is an excellent place to look. One of you said you work in Wilmington, which is not a bad commute from this area. There are also some more townhouses for rent right down from St. Andrews at Rt. 40 and Rt. 72. In both of these areas you are close to a lot of shopping, close to Main St. in Newark (which is close to the Univ. of DE), close to the highway. There are plenty of Daycares in this area also. Where you are giving to live really depends on how much you can afford. I suggest the Bear area for both laurachic and srikaylan.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 12,455 times
Thank you so much for the feeback! It is VERY much appreciated!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 12,445 times
Thanks so much for your response.

St Andrews is good. I think School Bell apartments in Bear is also a good one.

Any idea on Deemer's Landing in New Castle city? That's a brand new (2yr old) apartment and is very close to work. Pics and stuff look great too, but I'm not sure about the crime rate in that area. Is New Castle city safe?

Thanks again!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,126 times
Default Apt in Newark, Delaware

Hi

I just moved from Newark, DE to Fern Park, FL. You may want to look at Chelsea On The Square apts. They are on Rt 896 S. It is less than 5 mins from the University. There phone # is 302-326- 5100

Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 AM

728 posts, read 1,596,246 times
Check out the "Village of Barrett's" run in Bear/Newark. Reasonable rent, country quiet atmospere. Surrounded by woods. Close to 95/273/40. We've been happy thus far. Accepts large pets...

Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 PM

35 posts, read 124,807 times
English Village, Christiana Meadows, the Bluffs, Barrets Run, Forrest Park and Walden are really good places to start. You can also ask if apartment management has other locations closer to Wilmington.

The city of Claymont is not known for a good area. Very industrial.

I would stay away from New Castle unless you're familiar with the area. New Castle is a definite crap shoot.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,837 times
Default Moving to Delaware from San Juan, PR

What has your experience been? I too was recommended to investigate Pike's Creek, also Union Park Gardens, and Bayard Square. Do you have any information or valuable experience to share? I'm having an anxiety attack about this after having spent the last 27 years in San Juan -- its not so much the change in weather as it is the sense of isolation. Here I walk to the beach, the movies, the many restaurants, the museum, the Alliance Francaise. I like the feeling of a village within a city. It looks superficially like urban sprawl and depressing -- a big giant state-sized Kmart. I know there must be charming places but I have not had time to find them yet. Help me to feel better about this, please.
pb

Old 04-20-2008, 08:53 PM

10 posts, read 30,478 times
Default opinions on Buckingham Place and Harbor Club Apartments?

Can anybody share an honest opinion on Buckingham Place and Harbor Club Apartments?

I read some of the reviews on apartmentratings.com and cannot tell which post are actually true as opposed to being written by office staff or competitors.

Moving to Newark, DE seems like a real bummer. Sounds like a lot of drugs, shootings, crime in most of the apartment complexes !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware