Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,163 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are planning to move to Newark as he begins his doctoral studies in the fall. I have been looking at housing options, apartments or rental houses, but we are moving from across the country and it is difficult to know communities we have never visited!

Ideally, we would have a 2 bedroom place for under $1,400 in rent, and it needs to allow cats. We would most prefer for it to be less than 30 minutes walking from campus. It would also be nice to know how often people walk to campus at the University of Delaware or if we should just plan on commuting (because then distance is much less a factor).

A lot of the apartment complexes I have seen seem to be geared toward undergraduates and we are looking for a more graduate student/family centric area.

Any information or advice would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:40 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,239,728 times
If you go to move.com and look in the 19701 and 19702 zip, you will see many apartments and even homes for rent that are in your price range and accept pets. You can easily check the distance from campus to see if the location is an easy walk.

Also check delawareonline.com for rentals.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,163 times
Thank you! Those are helpful suggestions and I will try them out!

Old 03-25-2016, 12:38 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,239,728 times
I am not sure about home rentals, but I think almost every apartment complex accepts pets. Delaware is very pet friendly.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:23 PM

319 posts, read 500,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clfain4815 View Post
Hello! My husband and I are planning to move to Newark as he begins his doctoral studies in the fall. I have been looking at housing options, apartments or rental houses, but we are moving from across the country and it is difficult to know communities we have never visited!

Ideally, we would have a 2 bedroom place for under $1,400 in rent, and it needs to allow cats. We would most prefer for it to be less than 30 minutes walking from campus. It would also be nice to know how often people walk to campus at the University of Delaware or if we should just plan on commuting (because then distance is much less a factor).

A lot of the apartment complexes I have seen seem to be geared toward undergraduates and we are looking for a more graduate student/family centric area.

Any information or advice would be very much appreciated!

As a graduate student family I would imagine you are looking for a place to live that is not in
"party central." After all, from experience, a PhD is certainly a family degree as it impacts everyone
in the family. If living within 10-20 minutes of campus is fine, there are many options in areas
with more families. The apartment Complex Barrett's Run has many families. They have
apartments and townhouses. Some of the townhouses are owned by individual landlords and
can be cheaper. Some of the small stater homes around UD (forgot the street name, but its
near Kells ave) can be a zoo at night as there are a number of Greek letter organizations (fraternities and
sororities) nearby. Additionally a number of undergrads pool together to rent such houses and Thursday night,
Friday night, and Saturday night it can get noisy and party-ish.

Certainly if you live within the college area, you will have to accept and put up with what comes
with it. The benefit is that you are walking distance in area near Kells ave. There is a web-site
called "UD Cribs" (Google search it) that lists apartments around UD but this tends to draw
more undergraduates.

The Apartments nearby will most likely ask to see your husband's support letter as proof of income
along with your proof of income, but there shouldn't be a problem.

So, I would decide how close to campus you want to be.
If you go out to the area and apartments off of Old Baltimore Pike, stay away from Iron Hill apartments.

I wish you and your husband all the best. Make sure when you first move in, take pictures
of everything making sure you write the current date on a card displayed in the picture.
Also make sure you fill out the apartment condition report thoroughly and attach a dated
signed letter to it. We were burned by a landlord who charged for water damage
that was present when we moved into the unit and accused us for not venting the bathroom
after taking showers. We rented for a number of years and took
fantastic care of the place. We tried to involved the Attorney Generals office but they
were useless. We were out $300 and chalked it up to an expensive lesson.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:41 PM

314 posts, read 550,575 times
How soon do you plan to move here?

I lived in Newark for two years. For what you are seeking, I would highly suggest the Apartments at Pine Brook. Those are really nice apartments within your price range. It's mainly families, graduate students, and other working professionals who live there. The location is ideal for older students/adults, because it's close enough to walk to Main Street or campus, but isolated from the typical student housing. I also think that the UD shuttle bus stops around Pinebrook, but you may want to double check that. The complex management would know for sure.

Apartments at Pine Brook | Apartments in Newark, DE

Here is the link.

Newark is great town. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by youngprodigy21; 03-27-2016 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: