Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:59 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times

Advertisements

I was raised in Texas, but born in Wilmington, DE. It is HARD to convince my husband (a Texan also) that Delaware is technically below the Mason-Dixon line. We joke about it quite a bit, because he loves to call me a Yankee since they did fight for the Union.

In my February edition of Southern Living Magazine, they had an article about Delaware! I was very excited and of course showed my DH right away. He said I must have paid someone to do it LOL!!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:20 AM

271 posts, read 995,575 times
Howest2008,

Ah, the who fought on which side one. Yes, but you remind me that this Southern / Northern thing can be elusive, and not necessarily entirely about which side in the Civil War, or where relative to the Mason-Dixon line, and we can't even use my husband's position that since New Jersey is to the east until about the last, most southern part of Delaware, and NJ's not southern, you can't call DE southern.

If you review history, you'll note that Delaware is sort of left out when it comes to the Mason-Dixon line. That line came about because of the dispute between two of the founding families of Pennsylvania and Maryland, their border war, so to speak. Delaware was sorta that bit of land to the east. The Mason-Dixon line existed (or at least was in progress, can't remember if finished) well before the Civil War.

As Delly says, and we pass the Marydel marker about once each month, the line runs along the western border of Delaware, and "we can be what we want to be." And, perhaps, more than that, how we feel.

Terrapin, I can't challenge how you feel in Rehoboth, obviously. Try the beaches south of Bethany though, for wonderful dunes stretching to great sandy beaches--the miles of Delaware Seashore State Park.

Annie

Old 02-14-2008, 11:33 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
For me, this North/South thing is simple. I've developed a great taste for my sweet tea, prefer grits with my eggs and love the notions of civility and hospitality. Therefore, when I get there, y'all can just call me a good ol' boy Southern gentlemen ...

... who started out as a Jewish kid from the Bronx

It's the best of both worlds!!

Charley

Old 02-14-2008, 11:48 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
Howest2008,

That line came about because of the dispute between two of the founding families of Pennsylvania and Maryland, their border war, so to speak.
You've got it right, Anniebleu!
But that Mason bunch was a troublesome sort! If they hadn't let their cattle and chickens on our property, none of this would have happened!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:50 PM

271 posts, read 995,575 times
Delly ! But, in truth, Mason and Dixon were Brits, weren't they? I mean, sent to the colonies to do these surveys while the states were still forming, so to speak.

The battling families were, I think, the Calverts of Maryland, and the Penns of ('course) PA. Both families' histories intertwine with ours, though we're not related.

I'm not letting any of my chickens near your property!

Charlie,

You're gonna be far more Southern than anyone I've met here in 30 years! I have never once been served or offered grits. Goes for sweet tea too, though I do know of one rural restaurant where, when they offer iced tea, they mean sweetened only.

Used to meet nice people in the Bronx. OK, so I was at Yankee Stadium. Counts, doesn't it?

Annie

Old 02-14-2008, 05:03 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
Used to meet nice people in the Bronx. OK, so I was at Yankee Stadium. Counts, doesn't it?
Well, it's hard for me to comment about those people who frequent Yankee Stadium being a die-hard Met fan!!

Charley

P.S. ... and I really do like grits!!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Delly ! But, in truth, Mason and Dixon were Brits, weren't they?
Annie
Darn if I know, Annie! I just ran with the story that was handed down to me!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:49 PM

699 posts, read 2,895,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I was raised in Texas, but born in Wilmington, DE. It is HARD to convince my husband (a Texan also) that Delaware is technically below the Mason-Dixon line. We joke about it quite a bit, because he loves to call me a Yankee since they did fight for the Union.

In my February edition of Southern Living Magazine, they had an article about Delaware! I was very excited and of course showed my DH right away. He said I must have paid someone to do it LOL!!
So if the article was in Southern Living Magazine that is a true indication that DE is a southern state. Right?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:51 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
That's what I'm thinkin'!! Just furthers my cause! Hubby will come around, eventually...

Old 02-15-2008, 11:38 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post

Wilmington is too close to Philadelphia and is part of its sphere of influence. Don't you fly out of Philadelphia's airport? I also know a lto of people living in Wilmington commute to Philly. So maybe it used to be southern but its seen a lot of newcomers that have transformed, kind of like South and Central Florida and Northern Virginia, and the Baltimore-Washington, D.C. area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware