Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:42 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,530,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Seems people are confusing the Geographic South with the Cultural South. Delaware (along with the other border states) left the Union, but were unable to join the South because of their proximity to the North (all border states showed majority support for the South, but it was not possible to fully join them, Missouri became bitterly divided during the war).

Urban areas in the South have always had different political views than the surrounding areas due to a generally broader mix of people (even then they had transplants, lol!). However, during those times there were only a couple of Southern metropolises.

Now, Maryland is a geographically Southern state, however much of it shows more Northern characteristics due to proximity to larger cities, and some of the first suburban waves to sweep the country in the Post-WWII era (I suppose the rest of the South will probably share the same fate soon enough). Most every Southern state is beginning to lose a lot of culture due to the suburban gentrification that plagues this country. It's only a matter of time before something like watered-down Southern culture that already affects North Carolina, Maryland, and Coastal South Carolina will spread throughout the South (hmm...I can see why people would dislike transplants now).

The term "the shrinking South and dieing Dixie" is used to describe this phenomenon, I think a book was even written about it.

Oh and slave-holders in the North and South alike were only the wealthy elite, which were very few in number. It was the appeal of being an independent nation that drove Southerners (both black and white who willingly fought for the South) to fight and give everything for the cause. Winners of wars write the history books, which is probably why slavery is the scapegoat on this one.
You make some very good and interesting points, and I agree very much with most of them! However I do want to respectfully disagree on the subject of secession by saying that in fact none of the "Border States" left the Union by any act of their official elected bodies. Now as to WHY this is so is often debated.

For instance there is evidence to suggest that Maryland might have seceded if not for certain high-handed tactics by the Lincoln administration, but there is evidence to the contrary as well. And Southern sympathizers in Missouri and Kentucky formed "rump" governments that "seceded" and were "admitted" in the Confederacy. However, the majority in all these states fought for the Union. In Delaware this was particularly true.

In fact, while a slave-state and certainly home to some Southern sympathies, Delaware was the only one of the border states which not only passed a resolution expressing "unqualified disaproval" for secession, it was the only one which failed to provide a Confederate unit to the conflict (the small minority of citizens from Delaware who served the Confederacy joined the several Maryland units which formed).

Anyway, again, a great post, but I wanted to add a few things on Border State secession (or lack of it! LOL) in the historical for what is worth department!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 PM

578 posts, read 2,092,388 times
I'm from the north...so let me say

1) DE is a northern state if you speak of New Castle County and Kent County. They are both allies of Philly...which is a northern city.

2) MD is a southern state...it is NOT like NC but it is NOT like NJ...it really is more mid atlantic with a southern tilt...but do not insult the north and call MD, VA, or DC northern...they aren't.

3) The problem with MD transplants is sprawl..but otherwise the NY transplants bring a welcome change from those nasty Baltimore accents.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,397 times
When we moved to Kent County in 1960 there were white and negro public bathrooms and drinking fountains . In southern Kent and Sussex counties a black man could not get served in many small sandwich shops. Officialy they might have been considered a northern state but the locals acted like they were in the south. LFE

Old 03-08-2008, 08:43 PM

445 posts, read 1,430,986 times
Per the map of 1861 (Mason Dixon Line) the whole of DE was a slave state. Naturally NoNCC was very sympathetic to the plight of the slaves, but by law DE was a slave state.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:43 AM

9,690 posts, read 14,169,518 times
Nice site, Jdoll!
My son's house (in Camden, Delaware) built in 1812, was part of the underground railroad and an entry to the escape route is in his basement. Over my grandson's bedroom, is where they hid the slaves. The trap door is very difficult to find, of course, and there are tiny windows in that room overlooking the back yard. Sitting in that back yard, and looking up at those windows gives me a chill. I'll stop, but I could really chat-on about all my experiences in that house. One of my favorite things is babysitting there, and reading up on all of that history, while curled up on a sofa down in the summer kitchen. As mentioned before, I'm a born and raised Delawarean.

Last edited by rdlr; 03-09-2008 at 05:15 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 04:52 AM

784 posts, read 1,974,396 times
I find these threads interesting in a way, but rediculously sad in another. We need to see ourselves as Americans first and it shouldn't matter where somebody comes from, they may settle wherever they want to. Transplants have transformed my area from a more rural area to the most urban county in the state over the past 30 years or so. Now, this is repeating itself over the country. It seems like eventually, every area is going to experience that if it hasn't already. I have found most northerners to be quite nice and very few are snotty and rude as some posts have hinted at. There are decent and not so decent people in every demographic. As far as Delaware, I would consider it a northern state because of its location in the country as a whole. I've passed throough it, and it does seem to have a lot in common with surrounding states of NJ, MD, and PA.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:57 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,635,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
during the warm months when you find people from all over.

Terrapin, you say that you "learned 2 years ago that Rehoboth is a gay beach" and that it has "felt different ever since." I don't think you're bashing, but Rehoboth is truly a place for everyone. I wouldn't characterize it as "a gay beach." Not that there's anything wrong........etc....

Annie
Annie, Rehobeth is a beach for everyone. I did hear that a lot of gays go there and thought so what.
Looks like a regular family oriented beach to me. A lot of families go there with their kids and have a ball.
No gay parades or anything like that.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:22 PM

9,690 posts, read 14,169,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I find these threads interesting in a way, but rediculously sad in another. We need to see ourselves as Americans first and it shouldn't matter where somebody comes from, they may settle wherever they want to. Transplants have transformed my area from a more rural area to the most urban county in the state over the past 30 years or so. Now, this is repeating itself over the country.
Great Post, Kemba!
Our area has been transformed, also....seems like overnight! Our State was always know as Del-a-Where? Seems, like when people caught on, they came in droves. I enjoy hearing about other states, and others' perception of Delaware and the Mason-Dixon Line. It makes for good conversation.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 PM

784 posts, read 1,974,396 times
Thanks Delly! It's good conversation. I've passed through Delaware on many occaisions, but never spent much time while on the way to see family in NYC and NJ. I will have to check it out one day.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:27 AM

243 posts, read 912,402 times
I have to say that as far as I'm concerned, Delaware is most certainly a Southern State of attitude. Friendly, southern cooking and such. DE truly has that southern hospitality feel. I'm proud to say we are soon to be living there. BTW, there was a lot of interesting reads from the beginning and throughout this thread. Thanks to all who participated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware