U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 04:13 PM

405 posts, read 1,251,900 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to DE. I have dogs, and I'm concerned about keeping them in the yard. I'm looking at homes from .33 to and acre. Most of these homes don't have a fence so I would have to put one in. I see homes have post and rail, do people put chicken wire on them to keep dogs from going thru them? But then there are the deed restrictions saying you can't have a fence over 4ft. My dogs can hurdle a 4ft with ease. I know people will tell me to get the invisble fence but I have whippets and Italian greyhounds, because they are sighthounds they will charge thru it if they see something to chase.

So does anybody else have to deal with this issue or have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 AM

7,361 posts, read 10,799,487 times
Laural,
That is a specific question for a specific location. Each subdivision has it's own set of deed restrictions, or PUD requirements. If you move out of the town or community location, you can have "elephants" if you want. You're right. Many Planned Unit Developments have restrictions as to how tall the fence can be, and I've seen some requiring a specific type of fence.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:23 AM

4,131 posts, read 13,313,151 times
Also make sure you're allowed to have the # of dogs you have, it varies from town to town. Where we live now, we're allowed a total of 6 pets, dogs and/or cats. In some towns, even if you have an acre or 2, you're only allowed 2 or 3 altogether. We have small dogs who arent outside for very long but we would want to be darn sure we're allowed to have the ones we have. Re the fencing, we have a cyclone fence that runs from the deck out part way and over (square) but the entire property itself isnt fenced in, it works well for us b/c the dogs are small and dont need a lot of exercise and there's no way they'd be able to jump or climb over. When we had 2 big dogs yrs ago, we had cables that ran from the back door to a big tree in the yard and it worked out very well, they got plenty of exercise but it just didnt work out w/ the ones we have now, fencing it in was the way to go (for us). Fortunately there's no restrictions as to fences, I guess b/c we're in an older neighborhood.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 PM

693 posts, read 2,616,629 times
Default Invisible fence

Hi Laurel,

If you have more than 2 dogs, I would think that you would need more than
.33 acres to give them the room they need and the distance from your neighbors. We have .33 acres and neighbors on both sides have dogs. On one side, we rarely see the dog as he goes out does his business and is back inside. On the other side, they have an invisible fence. Their dog has a barking problem. Every morning when the kids were walking to the school bus the dog barked continually from 7 am. It was very irritating. Not only that but he would charge at the children as they walked by or as they would ride their bikes. Of course he would stop at the boundary but he terrorized many children and adults. We were afraid that someone was going to get hurt. We approached our neighbors with our concerns regarding their dog. The solution was to move the invisible fence to include only the back yard. Problem solved. We are at peace again. Just food for thought.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Hi Laurel,

Their dog has a barking problem. Of course he would stop at the boundary but he terrorized many children and adults. We were afraid that someone was going to get hurt. Just food for thought.
Our breed are known to be non barking and non agressive it's to bad you had this issue but it doesn't relate to us.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Laural,
That is a specific question for a specific location. Each subdivision has it's own set of deed restrictions, or PUD requirements. If you move out of the town or community location, you can have "elephants" if you want. You're right. Many Planned Unit Developments have restrictions as to how tall the fence can be, and I've seen some requiring a specific type of fence.
Yep that's what I was wondering what do people do in these communities. Do they just not have pets in PUD communities? Do they put mesh on the post and rail. Perhaps most dogs respond well to the invisible fence. My dogs are in the top 20 lure coursing dogs in the country so although people may think it's strange that we have 6 dogs, it's our life, we travel around the west coast with them, now we will travel around the east coast and compete and a lot of training goes into them. I should say I'm coming from a yard that's 9,000 sqft and that's huge where I live, most yards are 5-6 sqft or just patios. 33 sqft on up is fricking country.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:45 PM

First I would see about the zoning, how many are allowed, and then might be tempted to get the 6 ft high plastic privacy fencing - if that's an option in the new subdivision - and maybe add sturdy wire to the top - have heard of adding sturdy wire in the ground for breeds who are prone to digging their way out so it can probably done on the top as well, if that type fencing is allowed. IMO that type fence w/b better than cyclone as it would prevent climbing. Another option, contact some of the greyhound breeders or greyhound rescue groups in DE or neighboring states and see type fencing they might suggest or use, would think some have kennel runs but some may be pets and have different yard set-ups, they may also be able to steer you to certain areas that are more pet-friendly than others.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
First I would see about the zoning, how many are allowed, and then might be tempted to get the 6 ft high plastic privacy fencing - if that's an option in the new subdivision - and maybe add sturdy wire to the top - have heard of adding sturdy wire in the ground for breeds who are prone to digging their way out so it can probably done on the top as well, if that type fencing is allowed. IMO that type fence w/b better than cyclone as it would prevent climbing. Another option, contact some of the greyhound breeders or greyhound rescue groups in DE or neighboring states and see type fencing they might suggest or use, would think some have kennel runs but some may be pets and have different yard set-ups, they may also be able to steer you to certain areas that are more pet-friendly than others.
We will absolutely check deed restrictions and HOA's regulations before considering put an offer on a house. Do you mean a vinyl privacy fence, the white ones? That's a great idea, I will check with whippet and greyhound owners and see what they do. Oh I should say my greyhounds are the mini's the 15 pd ones, but my whippets can jump and run as much as greyhounds. They are considered a medium size greyhound.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Yes, that's what I meant, I guess they're vinyl, have just seen them from a distance but a friend who moved south got them when she moved, her yard was fenced in and it was fairly new (her house is almost new so the fencing had to be new too!) but she opted for the white vinyl and it looks really nice from the pictures, I think it may have been a tad higher (although her dogs arent jumpers, she just didnt want neighbors peering over). Have heard they bark less w/ the privacy fences but IM not too sure about it, mine arent big barkers unless they see something going on which isnt often b/c there's little woods between the houses here. A friend had a retired racing greyhound (Cairo, standard size) and she had a cyclone fence, if I remember right, he never scaled it (to my knowledge) but the yard wasnt that big, maybe that had something to do w/ it. Have always heard that you have to be very careful w/ sighthounds though - another friend had an afghan and was concerned when they bought a house (previously they had always walked him), not sure what the solution was b/c they moved and we lost touch. From what little I know, a lot of towns (not sure about DE) seem to limit it to 3 which can be a big problem if one has more ;-/. Good luck w/ your search, would love to hear how it goes

Old 02-14-2008, 06:40 PM

We would definitely put in the vinyl fence if we are allowed. I know a lot of these communities like the post and fence for some reason. Me, I love privacy fences. Plus if my guys doesn't see anything they won't be tempted to hurdle the fence. I'm worried about rabbits, squirrels, cats, they would be off and running. I love afghans. They are so beautiful when they run. They lure course too. They tend to be aloof, but gorgeous dogs. Full size greyhounds are absolutely wonderful too. I've been tempted to get one, but they are BIG.

Oh the city I live in allows only 3 dogs. My neighbors don't know I have 6. I've lived here 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware