U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:35 PM

405 posts, read 925,205 times
Default Flooding

I notice that Appoquinimink river snakes thru Middletown, does it ever flood? There are also lots of ponds sprinkled in neighborhoods right near homes, any flooding problems there with heavy rains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,127,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
I notice that Appoquinimink river snakes thru Middletown, does it ever flood? There are also lots of ponds sprinkled in neighborhoods right near homes, any flooding problems there with heavy rains?
Laural - It's a great question and very timely, and I'd like to expand the question a bit if you don't mind.

In addition to Middletown for Laural, can some of those who live in Delaware tell us of the flood prone locations that they know about. My particular interest is in Kent County, but all info will be helpful.

Thanks.
Charley

Old 02-14-2008, 04:48 AM

4,532 posts, read 5,572,086 times
I work with flood maps (FEMA) on a daily basis. If anyone wants a map of a specific location, I can attach a map to your PM address. Feel free to PM me with the address you want me to search. For a more general look at flood maps, here's a free site: FEMA Map Service Center -

Delly

Last edited by rdlr; 02-14-2008 at 04:57 AM..

Old 02-14-2008, 08:04 AM

271 posts, read 649,109 times
Charley,

Thirty years in Dover and I can think of no serious flooding, or even any semi-serious minor flooding in town or near town. Our neighborhood gets puddles during downpours, and I know of some areas that get large puddles pretty quickly but, again, nothing serious.

I've occasionally encountered water across the roads when driving east of Dover, near farmlands, after heavy rains. (We ruled out living to east of Route 13 because of the sometimes very loud presence of the Air Force overhead.)

Years ago, apparently, there was flooding on and near an area of Route 13 in Smyrna. I don't know of any problems since.

There have been some times of unusual, as far as I know, but significant flooding in Sussex County.

It is fairly common to hear of flood warnings for northern New Castle County, particularly just south of Newark.

I think Kent County has done extremely well, flood-wise, in the past several decades.

Annie

Old 02-14-2008, 07:23 PM

682 posts, read 1,855,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
Charley,

Thirty years in Dover and I can think of no serious flooding, or even any semi-serious minor flooding in town or near town. Our neighborhood gets puddles during downpours, and I know of some areas that get large puddles pretty quickly but, again, nothing serious.

I've occasionally encountered water across the roads when driving east of Dover, near farmlands, after heavy rains. (We ruled out living to east of Route 13 because of the sometimes very loud presence of the Air Force overhead.)

Years ago, apparently, there was flooding on and near an area of Route 13 in Smyrna. I don't know of any problems since.

There have been some times of unusual, as far as I know, but significant flooding in Sussex County.

It is fairly common to hear of flood warnings for northern New Castle County, particularly just south of Newark.

I think Kent County has done extremely well, flood-wise, in the past several decades.

Annie
We've lived in Kent County for two years and have a full basement that is completely dry. The sub pump doesn't even go on. We had it tested to make sure it's working.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:26 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,127,259 times
Thank you all for the great information. Now if we can only do something about global warming - or raise Delaware from it's 21 feet above sea level - and we'll be fine.

Charley

Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 AM

18 posts, read 29,993 times
Quote:
I work with flood maps (FEMA) on a daily basis. If anyone wants a map of a specific location, I can attach a map to your PM address. Feel free to PM me with the address you want me to search. For a more general look at flood maps, here's a free site: FEMA Map Service Center -
Delly,
Is there a way to use these maps without having a specific street address? I would like to be able to look at areas/towns where I do not have an address but want to get a feel for flooding problems.
Marc

Old 02-15-2008, 05:55 AM

271 posts, read 649,109 times
PA, similiar story here. Our sump pump does go on occasionally, but only following days of rain. Our basement may be a bit damp, but not wet, and that's my place to store wrapping paper. No problems.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:57 AM

4,532 posts, read 5,572,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marber View Post
Delly,
Is there a way to use these maps without having a specific street address? I would like to be able to look at areas/towns where I do not have an address but want to get a feel for flooding problems.
Marc
Yes, plug in an address, in the area....I've used any address in a given area. Then go to the top line and click the "hand". Drag it where you want it, go to the top again and hit plus or minus to shrink or expand the area. I have have stated these 2 steps backwards, but hope you get the idea.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 AM

18 posts, read 29,993 times
Quote:
Yes, plug in an address, in the area....I've used any address in a given area. Then go to the top line and click the "hand". Drag it where you want it, go to the top again and hit plus or minus to shrink or expand the area. I have have stated these 2 steps backwards, but hope you get the idea
Got it. Thanks for the info.
Marc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware