Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 04:53 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

This beautiful weekend, let's not forget why we have a MEMORIAL Day. It is to commemorate the brave men and women who sacrificed their lives so we could have our freedom. So while you enjoy your picnic, or beach day are this weekend, please remember those who made this possible.

For the younger reader amongst us, did you know that traditionally Memorial Day was the 30th of May but in 1971 it was officially moved to the LAST Monday in May to have more three day weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 05:27 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
For the younger reader amongst us, did you know that traditionally Memorial Day was the 30th of May but in 1971 it was officially moved to the LAST Monday in May to have more three day weekends.
They sure do, and for other federal holidays/birthdays of presidents, also.
BTW.....I may be peculiar (I know, I know) but I don't like hearing HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY. I am thankful to all who've served, and are still serving, both living and deceased. "Happy" seems to indicate fun at the beach, BBQ, and days off. I work for the V.A. as an independent contractor, and meet veterans every day. I always start our conversation with....Thank You For Your Service. They are really special individuals!

Old 05-28-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
They sure do, and for other federal holidays/birthdays of presidents, also.
BTW.....I may be peculiar (I know, I know) but I don't like hearing HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY. I am thankful to all who've served, and are still serving, both living and deceased. "Happy" seems to indicate fun at the beach, BBQ, and days off. I work for the V.A. as an independent contractor, and meet veterans every day. I always start our conversation with....Thank You For Your Service. They are really special individuals!
Agreed, I think that came in with the stores being "happy" about the green that was spent during the sales. As the child of a very proud WWII vet, who was shot and shrapnel remained in his leg for his life, my sister and I always said thank you for what you have done (are doing) for our country and thank you family too.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:15 PM

374 posts, read 517,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I may be peculiar (I know, I know) but I don't like hearing HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY. I am thankful to all who've served, and are still serving, both living and deceased. "Happy" seems to indicate fun at the beach, BBQ, and days off. I work for the V.A. as an independent contractor, and meet veterans every day. I always start our conversation with....Thank You For Your Service. They are really special individuals!
Great point, rdlr. Let's hope that this Memorial Day weekend, when people and families will indeed be having fun at the beach, cooking out, and watching ball games, that we all take time to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can have the freedom to do those things.

My dad was a navigator on a B-17 Bomber shot down during WWII, and was a POW in Germany for over a year. I am thankful each year that I get to honor him on Veterans' Day vs. Memorial Day. May the families of all those who lost someone serving in defense of our country find some comfort this holiday knowing how grateful we are to those heroes.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:47 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
First, rdlr, you are indeed peculiar(said with much affection😉!).

Second, when you see college students these days who cannot identify a picture of G Washington or Lincoln, and don't know who fought the civil war or how many branches of gov't we have, it is no surprise that some would have no clue what Memorial Day means, other than the start of beach season and shopping.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:55 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

Maybe they should make New Years Day the first Monday in January.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Maybe they should make New Years Day the first Monday in January.
Why stop there? How about July 4th and Christmas too. We all need more 3 day weekends, no? Most especially here at the beach!!!!

Old 05-29-2016, 09:59 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,223 times
My paternal grandfather--who is 93 and still with us, although suffering from advanced Alzheimers--fought in WWII and was part of the Army Air Corps. His plane was shot down in the South Pacific where he was afloat for three days, earning him a Purple Heart. He is one of the most honorable men I have ever known, and I am sooo proud to call him my grandfather. He'll tell you he's "just an old farm boy" though!!!

Old 05-29-2016, 10:14 AM

Beachliz, that seems pretty typical for the Greatest Generation, please now how thankful I am for his service to our country.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:04 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,223 times
Thanks, nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware