Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:07 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times

Advertisements

Dewey businesses to be fined for extra safety costs | Cape Gazette

Dewey Beach town council has passed abill which will charge business for expenses they cause the town when extra police are needed. What took them so long to enact this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 06:27 AM

789 posts, read 1,094,928 times
I'm not so sure. This puts a LOT of trust and power into the police department which, while it may be a good idea today, may be the perfect avenue for corruption and extortion in a subsequent administration. Just look at NJ beaches for prominent examples.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:25 PM

373 posts, read 517,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I'm not so sure. This puts a LOT of trust and power into the police department which, while it may be a good idea today, may be the perfect avenue for corruption and extortion in a subsequent administration. Just look at NJ beaches for prominent examples.
I think that is a good point. Dropped my daughter off at Northbeach last Saturday night (my first venture to Dewey at 11 p.m. at night) and was amazed at how many cars and pedestrians (in various states of sobriety) were traveling in seemingly all directions. Not just Northbeach, but several other businesses as well. Can only imagine what potential accidents could occur.

In previous towns that I lived in, it was the responsibility of the business to hire their own private security or traffic management folks (usually off duty policemen) when foot or car traffic warranted. Why couldn't Dewey pass an ordinance such as that? Of course they would have to define at what point such traffic would require such management, but then a specific measure (pedestrian count, car count, etc.) could be enacted. Put in a stiff fine for the business if the count hits that number and they didn't hire private management folks and I believe they would be sufficiently motivated to "be on the safe side" in hiring. And honestly, I think the Dewey business could pretty accurately predict traffic based on day of the year.

In any case, I am all for increasing safety.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:22 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,461 times
More business taxes. This is why no one in their right mind wants to start a business in New Jersey.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:08 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
In many parts of Long Island part of staging an event is hiring your own security staff to augment the local or county police. It seems more reasonable to me than hanging yet another tax on the LI residents in general as opposed to those who either profit from or attend an event.

So the idea of the pass along charge does not seem at all unreasonable to me. Yes, the businesses benefit in the additional $$ put into the pot and they also rebate a portion of the receipts to Sussex County as a tax, but, why should the local residents have to bear the added expenses of the police for an event they may not be participating it.

FWIW, I am not a Dewey Beach resident.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:06 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,326 times
Dewey officer injured in fight involving 30 people | Cape Gazette

30 people fighting police and security at the Rudder. This is why they need to charge the business.

http://www.wboc.com/story/32704821/p...in-dewey-beach

Last edited by longneckone; 08-07-2016 at 11:56 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 06:11 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Were they having some sort of event? I mean, could something have been done about this particular situation--before it happened?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM

9,717 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Were they having some sort of event? I mean, could something have been done about this particular situation--before it happened?
Dewey Beach has always been the "party town" of the beach area. I know of some state troopers who work part time, hired by private businesses down there, when the business owners think it might be wise.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,494 times
WEEKEND #11
This link has two very relevant stories.

Scroll down to the article about the most recent brawl, and then the next one is about how Starboard has quite a significant off-duty state police presence, at Starboard's expense.

Even though state troopers are authorized to take the off-duty assignments if they want to, many are not willing to work at northbeach and Ivy.

To me, these two stories -- the brawl at the Rudder, and the ongoing problems at northbeach and Ivy -- speak volumes about the decline of Highway One as a good town citizen. They are apparently unwilling to weed out the problem elements at their venues before trouble escalates. And the state cops know it, and whatever Highway One is offering in the way of pay for off-duty work isn't worth it.

Dewey has always had a "reputation." But it seems to have become increasingly out of hand in the past few years. Full disclosure: We are property owners there -- albeit on the north end where there don't seem to be many problems -- so we hate reading news like this.

We have refused to patronize any business associated with Dewey Beach Enterprises* ever since they started suing the town over the height issues. For the past couple years, we have similarly stopped going to any of the Highway One businesses**, even though some of them have been among our favorites for 20+ years. Biting off our nose to spite our face? Maybe, but we feel we need to take a stand against the businesses that are ruining Dewey Beach for any but the drunken brawlers.

*That would be the Lighthouse, Que Pasa, and the hotel and the condos.
** Rusty Rudder, Bottle & Cork and the liquor store right by it, Jimmy's Grille anywhere, northbeach, Ivy, and the Outlet Liquors on Route 1 where the thrift store used to be.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:04 AM

9,717 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Sure hope they have the Elvis Impersonators at the Rudder this September, as they have for many years. But I haven't seen it advertised. "Our" age group enjoys that 2+ day event and we connect with those from the surrounding area who have made this an annual event. We make the "long" trip down to Dewey for this event, from Dover, DE, and stay across the street from the Rudder for 2 nights. So much fun riding the trolley to Rehoboth, walking the boardwalk, and having dinners and lunches in Rehoboth Beach and Dewey with new found friends from everywhere. No wildness goes on.

Liz....going to the Dewey Beach music festival this year? We're planning on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware