Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 07:59 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

I've been to Delaware a few times before to photograph wildlife and buildings. I've been to Bombay Hook NWR multiple times and will spend a lot of time there again, Cape Henlopen/Lewes, Delaware City for the boat trip to Ft Delaware and Dover and Harrington to gamble. I've been through Rehobeth several times.

In early May 2017, I will be there for approximately 3 weeks. I have mobility issues and can't stand for any length of time or walk much. Boardwalks are pretty much out.

Where can I go in the state (I'm open to all suggestions) for a day or two where I can sit in my parked car very close to water, facing the water for a few hours, and photograph freighters or commercial fishing boats either moving in open water or entering some inlet (even better)? If I get out of my car to sit on a bench that faces the water, I need to be able to park near the bench. I'd prefer to see the boats in motion rather than parked at some marina but I'll take those suggestions, too. The end of some dead end is fine with me, too.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Also, I know there are farms in the Bombay Hook NWR area. Is there any other place in the state with a concentration of farms? I'll be staying in Dover but I'm willing to drive anywhere in the state.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 02:33 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
I was at Bay View Beach, Middletown, DE a couple of weeks ago, pulled along the roadside (which is directly on the Delaware River) and watched 2 freighters/cargo ships head north at a pretty swift speed. Go north from Dover about 20 miles, through Odessa, and make a right turn on Bayview Road. When you get to the end (about 3 miles) take a left (or northerly turn) to Augustine Beach. You'll be traveling along side the river. Plenty of places to park along the roadway, and even a very large parking lot along the Delaware River when you get to Augustine Beach. Perfect for what you're looking for. This is a very quiet area - no traffic or crowds, and I didn't even see any people except one fisherman along Route 9 (heading north to Augustine Beach). He was fishing from the rocks. You'll also see Salem, NJ across the river and the nuclear reactor.

Here's a map to help you get to Bay View. Roll the top of your mouse to enlarge the map.
https://itouchmap.com/?d=213606&s=DE&f=locale

Farms - From Dover, take Route 8 west (marked as Forest Avenue also) and there are tons of farms, including Amish communities.

Last edited by rdlr; 12-01-2016 at 02:47 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 06:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Thanks for the tip and the link.

I just took a look. That's perfect for what I want. Thanks again.

Last edited by LauraC; 12-01-2016 at 06:39 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 05:15 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
Old New Castle also has an area near the water where you can park.

Have fun !

http://www.historicnewcastle.com/his...Map_Horz_1.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware