U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:31 PM

902 posts, read 3,217,527 times

Advertisements

As I'm burning the midnight oil, here in cold DE, I thought I'd start a fun thread! Let's post a story of our last leap day... here is mine:

Four years ago, we lived in rural, central NC. We had a huge snow come in on Wednesday of that week; dumped about 2 feet (no exaggeration) across our 3 acres of mud and muck. Our family had travel plans (yep, road trip) to Atlanta, as my daughter was bowling on the NC All Star youth team and the competition was that coming weekend. SO, with 2 feet of snow burying my van, I cancelled the reservations and said, "sorry honey", the team will have to bowl without you. NOT something you tell your 13 yr old daughter!

I called into work, as there was no getting to the highway for the commute to Greensboro where my office was. By Friday, the temps had risen to a balmy 50 or so. Tested the roads to the highway, checked good ole Weather Channel, called the hotel to get the room back. You guessed it... we packed up the kids and drove to "Hot-lanta"!

Glad we did... never been there before and the roads were fine. If you don't count the huge piles of plowed yuck lining I-85 almost the entire drive! Got to the hotel about 1 a.m., and darling daughter bowled and bowled all weekend. And the icing on the cake... the NC team placed first that weekend!

Gotta love February 29th! Actually, I intend to sleep most of the day away... or at least until the kids come home from school. Maybe then, spring will come a bit faster to cold, cold DE!

Let's hear some more stories!

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 06:56 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,562,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
As I'm burning the midnight oil, here in cold DE, I thought I'd start a fun thread! Let's post a story of our last leap day... here is mine:

Gotta love February 29th! Actually, I intend to sleep most of the day away... or at least until the kids come home from school. Maybe then, spring will come a bit faster to cold, cold DE!

Let's hear some more stories!

Mary
Great Idea Mary. I would love to hear Leap day stories. Sorry I dont' have a one. Can't remember the last leap day at all. Must of been uneventfull.
either that or my memory is fading

Old 03-01-2008, 05:49 AM

Frightening about the fading memory, eliza! Sadly, my darling daughter (who, as you will recall from my topic starter) was the CAUSE of the road trip to Atlanta... doesn't remember all the crazy weather details of that trip. And she is only 17.... She does remember the bowling, but not the things leading up to hitting the road. Ah, what a spoiled child!

Hope to see some more fun replies.... DE is dreary right now, but the sun is beginning to peak out of the clouds. Oh Mr Sun... don't be shy! Laural is in DE this weekend, I do believe!

Back later gang.... have a great March 1st!

Mary

Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Frightening about the fading memory, eliza! Sadly, my darling daughter (who, as you will recall from my topic starter) was the CAUSE of the road trip to Atlanta... doesn't remember all the crazy weather details of that trip. And she is only 17.... She does remember the bowling, but not the things leading up to hitting the road. Ah, what a spoiled child!

Hope to see some more fun replies.... DE is dreary right now, but the sun is beginning to peak out of the clouds. Oh Mr Sun... don't be shy! Laural is in DE this weekend, I do believe!

Back later gang.... have a great March 1st!

Mary
I'm amazed at what you remember Mary, and how much you seem to know about so many different things. You are an extremely bright young woman and I mean that as a compliment. I think you have a memory like an elphant.

Mr sun is out now and hope he decides to show himself most of the day.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:06 AM

271 posts, read 903,263 times
I have to join Eliza on this one. I don't remember anything about last Leap Day, but what that likely means is that it was an ordinary day for me. What? I might be having memory problems? Nah.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Thanks ladies... my kids think I just tell stories over and over and over again so I don't forget them. Thank goodness I have enough kids to do that!

Our family has been offbeat as far back as I can remember. And being the elephant that I am, that's almost 1/2 century! Now, I have to push away from the Valentine candy (especially the chocolate covered cherries, my favorite) or I WILL be the elephant at lunch in a few weeks. Can't have that now!

Ah, memories!

Mary

Old 03-02-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks ladies... my kids think I just tell stories over and over and over again so I don't forget them. Thank goodness I have enough kids to do that!

Our family has been offbeat as far back as I can remember. And being the elephant that I am, that's almost 1/2 century! Now, I have to push away from the Valentine candy (especially the chocolate covered cherries, my favorite) or I WILL be the elephant at lunch in a few weeks. Can't have that now!

Ah, memories!

Mary
Elephant...Mary??? You sure do exaggerate girl Everytime I see you, you look like you are shrinking.

You got valentine candy? Bill used to get me candy but I told him if he ever bought me a box of chocolates again, I'd hit him.
Flowers..........Well he has bought me flowers and then I get the bill. Since I pay the bills in this family, the bill comes to me. Again, I told him if he continues, he is a dead man.
He does however get me a card but this year I guess he forgot with the trip.
We acually were in Orlando on the 14th.
Our room was fabulous. We stayed at the westgate resort and spa. The room was a studio but it had a washer, dryer, kitchen, living room, dining room, 2 bed rooms, 2 baths, a jacquzzi and a screened in balcony. The place was really nice.
After walking in Disney for 2 days, I fully enjoyed the jacquzzi.
Anyway, that is it for me.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:39 PM

Actually, I bought the cherries myself... on sale after V-day. I'm too cheap to do otherwise. I told hubby the same thing as you, years ago. Besides, he wasn't here ON Valentines, so the boys were my sweeties. And with school kids still in the house, we end up with too much candy for every "event".

Funny about the flowers... I told Paul years ago NOT to get me cut flowers, if anything I want plants. Then I kill them, as I do NOT have a green thumb for flowers. Only greenery, or garden stuff. So he gave up and just tells me he loves me. God bless him... someone needs to love me!

Disney for V-day doesn't sound like such a bad trade off... in my book, Mr Bill is forgiven. And the room sounds sumptuous! Sounds like the honeymoon suite! Jacquzzi and all! Its a wonder you came back to dreary DE!

BTW - thanks for bringing the sunshine back with you! We've been a little short on bright, sunny days here this last month. Here's hoping they stick around for a while. I love spring!

Mary

Old 03-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Funny about the flowers... I told Paul years ago NOT to get me cut flowers, if anything I want plants. Then I kill them, as I do NOT have a green thumb for flowers. Only greenery, or garden stuff. So he gave up and just tells me he loves me. God bless him... someone needs to love me!

Disney for V-day doesn't sound like such a bad trade off... in my book, Mr Bill is forgiven. And the room sounds sumptuous! Sounds like the honeymoon suite! Jacquzzi and all! Its a wonder you came back to dreary DE!

BTW - thanks for bringing the sunshine back with you! We've been a little short on bright, sunny days here this last month. Here's hoping they stick around for a while. I love spring!

Mary
Thanks Mary and it does look like we brought the sunshine back with us doesn't it.
We certainly did NOT bring it to florida with us though. had a couple of nice days but most of the 3 weeks was damp and dreary.

Disney was nice, really. Love epcot. So interesting and much fun. Both days in Disney were sunshining and pleasant.

I second the sunshine hanging around and for an early spring arrival.

Gail and MaryLou stopped in today for different reasons. so I put the coffee on and we had a nice chat for a couple hours. They both left and I ran around SM for excersise. I'm surprised how far I could run. After that, my roast was ready and I was sooo hungry. We just got done dinner and I feel full and satisfied.

Oh.....and I do not have a green thumb either. Kill everything and it's such a shame. I watched Inga's african violets while she was away in DEc and Jan, I killed one of them and the other 3 were hanging on for dear life. Guess they were praying she get home soon. I'm so bad.
I think I need a gardening lesson.
I get the feeling when a plant sees me coming, the deliberatly die so they don't have to go through the torture.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 10,796,194 times
Hope you all had a wonderful Leap Day!!!!
(my attempt to stay on topic)
I planted my seeds in peat pots, also girls. Love that stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware