Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:48 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

According to the Cape Gazette there are two new hotels under state review on Route 1.

Destiny LLC has plans for a 60 room 4 story Days INN on Rt 1 and Parsonage Road just north of Fins and Midway Ventures LLC plans for a 47,000 square foot TRU by Hilton, which seems to be a budget version of a Hilton, at the current location of Jakes on Route 1.

Just what we need more hotels.

I will follow this up with the link to the article once it becomes available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 07:07 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
According to the Cape Gazette there are two new hotels under state review on Route 1.

Destiny LLC has plans for a 60 room 4 story Days INN on Rt 1 and Parsonage Road just north of Fins and Midway Ventures LLC plans for a 47,000 square foot TRU by Hilton, which seems to be a budget version of a Hilton, at the current location of Jakes on Route 1.

Just what we need more hotels.

I will follow this up with the link to the article once it becomes available.
Good! Maybe the Dover area hotel boom will slow down.
Another thought.....all the hotels that went up in Dover are suffering! The thought was: DOVER DOWNS NASCAR and the shortage of rooms for all the visitors. Guess what? Dover Downs is eliminating seats since they can't fill them. I've heard that hotels in my area are now relying on Dover Air Force Base to place personnel in temporary housing. And....while I'm at it....all those "rinky-dink" motels dotted throughout the state. They are being filled by the homeless (temporary housing) and are paid for by our State and Counties.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:41 AM

As promised here is the article.

Three area projects under state review | Cape Gazette

RDLR, what strikes me as odd is that better than 1/2 of the hotels in downtown Rehoboth close during the winter and at least a couple that I am aware of on Rt 1 also put down and reopen around April 1. I guess that a 1/2 season at almost full occupancy makes sense in terms of construction costs over the long term. The newest hotel here, the Fairfield Inn has their share of cars during the winter but, that may be a loyalty program for Marriott that is drawing them in. I have no idea comparatively how there pricing is compared to say the Comfort Inn or AmericINN to name a couple.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:13 AM

Maybe.....(just thinking).....the many cars parked around some of the hotels are there for other reasons. For instance, I attend continuing education classes for my profession, and most of those classes are being taught in hotels near the beach (Hampton Inn, Comfort Inn, etc.) Maybe other professions do the same. I'll add that, most of the classes I attend at the beach are always taught off-season, probably so they can fill their classrooms. The exception is, Atlantic Sands on the Boardwalk, who offer their classes during peak beach season. They have special reserved parking on-site for those registering for seminars/educational classes, which is a great help.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:54 AM

374 posts, read 517,420 times
Interesting. I was trying to figure out how they could build a Days Inn hotel on a 1.3 acre parcel at that intersection (and still have parking). The article says it is only 60 rooms and 4 floors, so a pretty small footprint. Assuming that this would be a year-round enterprise, I'm curious as to why they wouldn't buy out a current "seasonal" hotel and just update it?

As for building a Hilton where Jake's currently sits, I'm hoping the original Jake's location in downtown Rehoboth will stay open year round if this happens. Hate to give up the 1/2 price crab cake dinners on Wednesdays during off-season!

Old 01-03-2017, 11:22 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
As promised here is the article.

Three area projects under state review | Cape Gazette

RDLR, what strikes me as odd is that better than 1/2 of the hotels in downtown Rehoboth close during the winter and at least a couple that I am aware of on Rt 1 also put down and reopen around April 1. I guess that a 1/2 season at almost full occupancy makes sense in terms of construction costs over the long term. The newest hotel here, the Fairfield Inn has their share of cars during the winter but, that may be a loyalty program for Marriott that is drawing them in. I have no idea comparatively how there pricing is compared to say the Comfort Inn or AmericINN to name a couple.
Most if not all of the hotels in downtown Rehoboth are non franchise (independent) hotel and are not forced to stay open 365 by contract. Most of the hotels on Rt1 are Franchised hotels and must stay open. In this resort area the hotels open are lucky to make overhead during the winter.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
Interesting. I was trying to figure out how they could build a Days Inn hotel on a 1.3 acre parcel at that intersection (and still have parking). The article says it is only 60 rooms and 4 floors, so a pretty small footprint. Assuming that this would be a year-round enterprise, I'm curious as to why they wouldn't buy out a current "seasonal" hotel and just update it?
!
They don't do that anymore! Not in Dover, either. They just let an old building sit around and deteriorate, and build a new one.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
They don't do that anymore! Not in Dover, either. They just let an old building sit around and deteriorate, and build a new one.
Ready for a second career, rdlr? We could go halfsies on an existing hotel. I'll handle the front desk and count the money if you clean all the rooms!

Old 01-04-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post

As for building a Hilton where Jake's currently sits, I'm hoping the original Jake's location in downtown Rehoboth will stay open year round if this happens. Hate to give up the 1/2 price crab cake dinners on Wednesdays during off-season!
The closest to the current JAKES that is seasonal is the Rodeway Inn and they are closed until I think April. They shut down every year since we are here. The Econolodge is right next door and they are open year round. Funny had literally right next door and they shut down. Guess there are too many that are open.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The closest to the current JAKES that is seasonal is the Rodeway Inn and they are closed until I think April. They shut down every year since we are here. The Econolodge is right next door and they are open year round. Funny had literally right next door and they shut down. Guess there are too many that are open.
Another large hotel relatively nearby that closes for the season is The Heritage Inn, near the Rehoboth Beach Acme on Route 1. It strikes me as a rather large property to close for several months.

As previously noted, the national chain hotels most likely will not permit seasonal use, so I wonder if these non-national hotels will be harder to fill up during season...or maybe there are enough vacationers to fill them all during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware