U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2008, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 15,233 times
Question Over 65 Senior Housing around Dover

Trying to find some information regarding Independent living senior housing facilities in the Dover area.
We have finally talked MIL into this.
Any information regarding this would really be helpful

Thanks
MAB10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 01:57 PM

19,922 posts, read 7,246,645 times
Welcome to the Delaware forum. There is information in many of the threads in this forum that address the 55+ communities, starting with:

55+ Communities

and there are many more. Be sure to ask lots of questions as you proceed.

Charley

Old 03-02-2008, 02:08 PM

15,509 posts, read 7,531,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab10 View Post
Trying to find some information regarding Independent living senior housing facilities in the Dover area.
We have finally talked MIL into this.
Any information regarding this would really be helpful

Thanks
MAB10
Hi,
I take it you are looking for an assisted/independent facility. I do know of one that a friend of mine had been researching and now her mother is a resident.
it is called Westminister Village by Modern Maturity center.
they have independent apartment living with access to meals and so forth if you want.
Then if a person can no long live by themselves or needs more assistance, they go to the assisted living section.

here is the website:
Welcome to Westminster VillageWestminster Village is a continuing care facility that is part of the PHI network.
Welcome to Westminster Village
Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 PM

19,922 posts, read 7,246,645 times
Oh my mistake. I am very sorry. I saw the title and didn't see the "Independent Living". I'm very sorry.

I don't know the particular circumstances as to why you are looking for Independent Living, but if you can find one with multiple stages, that's a good thing. My mother was in one in New York that addressed Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Support (for residents with Alzheimer's and other dementias) and we found that we needed the different levels over time. Having multiple levels in one facility makes it easier to address the needs of the resident without having to move her from one place to another.

Charley

Old 03-02-2008, 02:41 PM

15,509 posts, read 7,531,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Oh my mistake. I am very sorry. I saw the title and didn't see the "Independent Living". I'm very sorry.

I don't know the particular circumstances as to why you are looking for Independent Living, but if you can find one with multiple stages, that's a good thing. My mother was in one in New York that addressed Independent Living, Assisted Living and Memory Support (for residents with Alzheimer's and other dementias) and we found that we needed the different levels over time. Having multiple levels in one facility makes it easier to address the needs of the resident without having to move her from one place to another.

Charley

Charley, it could be either really. Sometimes it is hard to tell what a person means. Some say they want a 65 community and others a 55+.

At any rate there are a wide variety of place to choose just as you pointed out.
I visited Westminister and was quite impressed. As Bill and I age, we may consider this down the road. A place like this takes the burden off of the kids.

I was particularly impressed with the homes in Westminister. A nice home somewhat like SM homes with a two car garage.
There is a wide variety of living quarters to choose from. Homes, Apartments, and of course assisted living.
The homes were really quite nice. Like living in a 55+ community with activities but no pool. At least I dont' think there was one.
Also, being so close to Modern Maturity, there are many things to do all the time.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM

137 posts, read 198,386 times
Default Westminster Village

Hi MAB10,

I'm the friend ElizaMary was talking about. Westminster Village in west Dover is a lovely place. As she said, it's a continuous care community from independent living to nursing home. Younger folk or those who don't need extra help buy into the community, choosing a cottage or an apartment. As needs change, they move into the assisted living. They do have a secure unit called Chapelwood in the assisted living building for residents with "wandering" problems. If you are looking at assisted living right off the bat, then residents can choose from 4 sizes of apartments and pay a daily rate. This includes all their meals, snacks, activities, cable tv, electric/water, housekeeping once a week, and transportation to and from a doctor's office within 15 mile radius.

The grounds and buildings are beautiful, well-maintained, and the staff are very friendly, supportive, caring, and patient. My mom (81) has been living in the assisted living apartment for almost two weeks now. She moved to Delaware from Florida. I can't say she is very happy right now as she is homesick and misses her friends. However, it was impossible for her to remain alone in Florida with no family around. We hope she is going to do better soon. We've been told hers is a very common reaction.

My brother and I chose Westminster Village after doing much research in the area. It's run by Presbyterian Homes, Inc., and is non-profit. They have many homes all over Pennsylvania, but W. V. is their first home in Delaware.

Check their website out. Then call either Flo Cox in assisted living or Michelle Corrice, the marketing director for Independent Living at 302-744-3600 for questions and to schedule a tour.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,748,086 times
I haven't explored any, nor have I had the need to do so. But, I've heard that State Street Assisted Living, in Dover, is very good, although expensive. But, I guess they all are. I don't believe that State Street has individual units, like bungalows or twin homes. Sanddollar....what's the one over by Walker Road? Is that Westminster? They have little units for husband/wife together, just like little cottages. Lots of people rave about those.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 PM

902 posts, read 2,457,589 times
Westminster Village is located at the corner of Saulsbury/McKee and College Roads in Dover. Lovely complex; my folks and I had a tour a few weeks ago when they were in town. First community of its kind that I personally have toured; my grandmother in OH was in an A/L facility until 1-1/2 yrs ago (when she passed away), but I was not part of the touring and decision-making team on that one.

I have seen another just south of W.V. on Saulsbury... I believe the name is Green Meadow or something like that. I have a feeling I will be looking at more in the next few months... will pass on what I find out to other newcomers!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware