U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM

7,316 posts, read 10,746,862 times

Advertisements

As a born and raised Delawarean, I am always amazed at how high real estate taxes are in other states. For instance, my daughter lives in Chester County, PA, and her real estate taxes are $8,000+ per year. She has an older home needing some work, in the country, on 3 acres or so. My real estate taxes, both town and county together are $535. It's truly amazing. Would anyone like to share what they know about real estate taxes in other states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,971,753 times
I can tell you that in my community in New York, I'm paying $9,000 per year and there are some areas in my county that are paying almost $16,000.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:28 AM

693 posts, read 2,611,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
As a born and raised Delawarean, I am always amazed at how high real estate taxes are in other states. For instance, my daughter lives in Chester County, PA, and her real estate taxes are $8,000+ per year. She has an older home needing some work, in the country, on 3 acres or so. My real estate taxes, both town and county together are $535. It's truly amazing. Would anyone like to share what they know about real estate taxes in other states?
When we lived in Montgomery County in PA, our R.E. taxes were $3700.and climbing. We lived in a codo with .03 acres. Our TH was 2000 Sq. ft.
Now we live in Kent County in a single home which is +3000 sq ' and our lot is .33 acres. Our Real Estate taxes are $1650. per year !
We made a good decision to move here and have no regrets. When we retire, we will be able to afford the tax bill in DE. Mortgages can go away but taxes never will.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 AM

71 posts, read 165,421 times
Default Factor in State Income Tax

I agree on Delaware being a great place to live if you are retired, if you don't have children, or if you are on a fixed income. The reasons why Pennsylvania makes more "cents", the state income tax is 3.07% compared to Delaware's rate of 5.95% on income over $60,001, Pennsylvania has a better education system, consider the additional cost of private schools in Delaware. Then there is the additional cost of having someone pick up garbage and plow the streets, fees for using the parks, homeowner's fees, etc. in Delaware, factor in all the costs when comparing. The best would be to live in southern Delaware or Chester counties in Pennsylvania and take advantage of all that Delaware and Pennsylvania have to offer.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM

902 posts, read 3,212,834 times
ScottyG, that is good advise for some, but does not work for others. One thing that comes to mind right away is the crazy cost of fuel... THAT has to be factored the equation as well. At least for those that still need to commute somewhere to work.

And I beg to differ with you on the schools in PA... granted, some may be better, but others are worse. That too is very individual. We have 4 kids, one of which has autism. So I do know a bit about schools, as THAT was the main reason we moved TO DE from central NC. With 4 kids, one in college and one on the way there, private was not an option for our younger 2. C-D is one of many forums I researched prior to our move here to central DE.

As far as property taxes go... the in-laws are paying about 12K per year for north shore Long Island... and the house is not grand. Convenience to "the city" is the driving factor there. I believe that is with the discount for not having school-aged kids in the household! Brother & sister-in-law are also north shore LI, but further out. Their RE tax is close to 20K, and their 4 kids go to private school because public stinks where they are.

Back in central NC, we paid about $600 for 3.3 acres with a 2100 sq ft modular home. But there, we got what we paid for in that schools stunk, and there were no private school options. And forget other amenities... county cops, volunteer FD that could not possibly keep up with the growth, and there we paid for garbage collection, etc. Add to that, the highest tax base on gasoline, and 7-8% sales tax... yeah, I'll stop here.

Now, back in OH where my relatives are... property tax is very low, but everyone commutes 50+ miles to Cincinnati, etc. for jobs. Even the farmers, who work full time then come home to work again.

I'm sure I threw too much out there... sorry, Delly!

Mary

Old 03-03-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG View Post
Then there is the additional cost of having someone pick up garbage and plow the streets, fees for using the parks, homeowner's fees, etc. in Delaware, factor in all the costs when comparing.
Hi Scotty. Where did you live when you were in Delaware, and how long were you here? I was born and raised here and the above is not completely true. Our garbage pick up is figured in with our town taxes and the towns and state plow the streets and roads when it snows. We don't have to request that, and we don't pay extra. Many have the choice of paying for private garbage pick up, or taking it to the County dump, which a lot of people do once a week. Parks don't always have an admission fee. We go to Brecknock Park all summer long, and pay nothing. As far as homeowners association fees, it depends on which subdivision you buy in, and I'm not in a subdivision, but in town. Some homeowners associations are mandatory, and some are not. The mandatory ones are recorded in public record, and everybody has a choice if they want to live in a community with a homeowners association, or not. I believe we could debate all day about which schools are better, but that would be fruitless. because everybody has an opinion. Looking at others' posts, it looks like other states' real estate taxes alone are reason enough to move here. Nearby states pay 8-10 times what we pay in Delaware. I guess that's why we're so crowded now.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:23 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,971,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Looking at others' posts, it looks like other states' real estate taxes alone are reason enough to move here. Nearby states pay 8-10 times what we pay in Delaware.
The lower taxes and the land lease / HOA fees that I would pay in Delaware are still lower than the taxes alone I pay in New York. Those lower taxes are definitely one of several factors that make me think Delaware is the right fit for me.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:21 PM

5,426 posts, read 10,480,350 times
I ONLY pay 15,000 in Ocean County NJ and my neighbor pays 19,000. I love to go to Florida and visit mom and listen to her complain that her taxes are 1,200. It is what it is. Thats why you have flight from NJ and NY. Here I come.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 PM

214 posts, read 734,995 times
Default look before you leap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
The lower taxes and the land lease / HOA fees that I would pay in Delaware are still lower than the taxes alone I pay in New York. Those lower taxes are definitely one of several factors that make me think Delaware is the right fit for me.

Delaware: Worried about Maryland's low taxes

The taxes are always lower across the border. At least that's what anybody arguing against a tax increase always claims. Here's a real estate agent being quoted in a budget story Tuesday's News Journal of Wilmington:
"Delaware already has among the highest transfer taxes in the country," said Camilla Conlon, a real estate agent with Jack Lingo Inc. in Rehoboth Beach and president of the Delaware Association of Realtors. "To add another quarter percent for us will drive buyers to Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania."
Maryland transfer tax rates run as high as 2 percent, if you combine state and local charges. In Delaware they're as high as 3 percent. When you have no sales tax, you have to make up the revenue somehow.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
Delaware: Worried about Maryland's low taxes

Delaware already has among the highest transfer taxes in the country," said Camilla Conlon, a real estate agent with Jack Lingo Inc. in Rehoboth Beach and president of the Delaware Association of Realtors. "To add another quarter percent for us will drive buyers to Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania."Maryland transfer tax rates run as high as 2 percent, if you combine state and local charges. In Delaware they're as high as 3 percent. When you have no sales tax, you have to make up the revenue somehow.
Real Estate Tax, which is based on the assessed value of real property (real estate) is a different animal than Delaware Transfer Tax. The DTT - 1 1/2 % paid by seller, and 1 1/2% paid by buyer is in regard to the transfer of real property from one party to another, at the settlement table, not real estate taxes one pays on their property for every assessed $100. I work with assessments on a daily basis. Here's a site which may help clarify this issue. Community Info. -- TAXES (http://www.cdedc.org/community_info/taxes.html - broken link)

Last edited by rdlr; 03-03-2008 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware