Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 01:41 PM

15 posts, read 15,351 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My name is Peter, and my wife Cindy and I live near Rochester, NY. I was born and raised in Queens and have lived up here for over 35 years. My wife was born and raised in the area. I have been feverishly reading posts on this forum for nearly 2 months (some might say obsessively reading). I want to start by congratulating you all for managing to be so civil in a medium that usually isn't so civil. Sure, there are disagreements, but they never devolve into viciousness. I've enjoyed rdlr's fierce loyalty to her cherished part of the state, even her seemingly crazy devotion to "mus'rat." Her genuine goodness and willingness to help other posters shines through in her posts. I enjoy beachliz' postings on the outdoors in DE and her love for the Ocean View area, and doctorjef's posts from WAY up NORTH in NCC. I have learned a ton from all of you.

So you're thinking, now that he's buttered us up pretty good, what does he want?

My wife and I both work from home, so can pretty much live anywhere we want. My parents retired 35 plus years ago to a 55+ place in Toms River, NJ, and since we would visit them all the time, we both got to really like the location, especially the ocean beaches, and thought someday we would move/retire there. Well, we are at that point where we want to move. But as has been pointed out here a zillion times, NJ property taxes are insane; some of the drivers are insane; the fast-paced lifestyle...

So in the back of our minds, we often thought about Delaware for many reasons. Honestly, I have read thousands of posts so know all about the "issues" of chicken farms, health care, land leasing, and the potential for friends and relatives to roll their eyes when you mention the state's name. And while doing my research between DE and NJ, I almost always get to the point where I figure "Just move to NJ and pay the %#&%^ taxes." But something always brings me back to DE.

Whew, I'm bored with typing; you all must be asleep by now if you're still reading! But having read so much, I have a few kinda specific questions that might help us in our decision. And I'm finally going to get to them...In my next separate posting, so this novella doesn't scare folks away!

Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 15,351 times
Long-time lurker, first-time poster back again. So if you would be so kind, a few questions:

We are considering Sussex County because the beaches are there. We want to be within about 20 minutes so that we can go down any time we want througout the year just to see and hear the waves, smell the air, etc. So I'm assuming that pretty much leaves out anything in Kent County? When I use Google Maps, it seems like the closest spot in Kent is still about 40 minutes or so to the beaches. Is that about right?

While looking at Google maps, I always use the Satellite view as well to get the lay of the land, and hope the images aren't from 7 years ago. So when I look at say, Millsboro, there are a few residential streets, but as you zoom out, it is quickly surrounded by farms and fields. Please forgive my potential ignorance, but just how far are basic amenities like grocery stores from a place like Millsboro? Do you have to travel minor roads for 10 minutes to get to a more "major" road that has commercial establishments? Where we live now, we drive about half a mile through residential areas and we come to a street with both houses and businesses. Then drive about another mile and get to busier commercial streets and the expressway. Are there many "main" roads like that in Sussex County? I know Rte 1 can be busy in summer, and I've heard Rte 13 (I think) mentioned as fairly commercial roads. Are there others?

We have both lived long enough that we could consider a 55+ community. Leaving aside the pros and cons of those communities, does anyone have experience in living in one while still working, or knowing neighbors who are still working? On the one hand, I figure it might be a great situation because it's probably pretty quiet during the day, since we both work from home. On the other hand, perhaps if people are mostly retired, they are out enjoying themselves during the day, and it wouldn't be that quiet.

Finally, (at least for now ), where we live now, unless you were looking to buy way out in the country, you don't have to worry about septic, wells, propane heat, etc., but those things do seem more prevalent in certain parts of Sussex County. Would we have to consider only new construction to ensure that we don't have to worry about septic, wells, etc., or are there plenty of established neighborhoods where that's not an issue?

Well, that's got to be more than enough for now! I'll thank anyone who may respond ahead of time, and look forward to learning more about what it's like to live in your state.

Peter

Old 02-23-2017, 02:59 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Hi Peter, former NY'er here now a permanent Delawarean and really happy here. I live in Rehoboth and will not be much help regarding Millsboro except to say that if you are looking to get to the Beach in 20 minutes I would say in general that could only happen in the winter time, if at all from Millsboro. The caveat to this is I am calling the Rehoboth-Dewey-Lewes beaches, "the beach."

We don't reside in 55+ but most here are retirees and the neighborhood is quiet and I think to answer that questions will be very difficult as each community will be the sum of its parts and even if a 55+, if the grandkids visit often, there is potential for a lot of noise. Again, here in Rehoboth and the Lewes area the big variable now is, if you use a heat pump or natural gas as the lines have been brought deeper into the area. Propane gas for heating or a split system electric/propane are what most of this area uses. Most in this area are not on wells but some are.

Not much help but there are plenty that will be much better versed in the area than I am. (All of which you already named.)

Old 02-23-2017, 03:16 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
AS I have said many times zip codes do bare the name of a town but coverr a much larger area.I live in the Millsboro zip code and it would take me 1/2 hour to get to the town of Millsboro. That said I have 3 supermarkets with in a 10 minute ride. My area is closest in the zip code to the beach. Driving with in the speed limit from my driveway I could not get to an Ocean Beach within 20 minutes at any time of the year.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:40 PM

26 posts, read 30,618 times
Check out Lewes. Convenient to Rte 1 for shopping and restaurants, and a quick drive (when traffic is light) to Lewes and Rehoboth Beaches. Also a quick ride to Cape Henlopen State Park. So beautiful there! Look at Milton too if you want to be in an area less developed but still close to the beaches. Lewes and Milton are about a 2 1/2 hour drive to Toms River.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
AS I have said many times zip codes do bare the name of a town but coverr a much larger area.I live in the Millsboro zip code and it would take me 1/2 hour to get to the town of Millsboro. That said I have 3 supermarkets with in a 10 minute ride. My area is closest in the zip code to the beach. Driving with in the speed limit from my driveway I could not get to an Ocean Beach within 20 minutes at any time of the year.
Thanks Longneck, that whole zip code thing still confuses me, so I didn't want to mislead the OP by saying one could not get to the beach in 20 min. but I did not think so.

If one of you natives can help an almost 4 year'er out, I would be most appreciative. Was there a contest way back when to name as many places with an "M" that you could? Millsboro, Milford & Milton, I can't get them straight other than I know that the Old Bank in Millsboro is now a bar, Peppers Greenhouse is in Milton, Odd Job is in Milford. I mean no slight on them but those are my compass marks. I am paralyzed when someone say one of the "M's to me and then I always have to ask about the above to get them straight.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:01 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Hi Peter, I'm another NY'er looking to move close to De beaches.

I found Mapquest to be very helpful. I can see where a house is located on the map and i can get directions from whatever house I'm looking at to either Rehoboth or Lewes beach. Allso at the top of mapquest you can click on 'stores, doctors, etc and it will show you on the map where they're located.

Just a warning though... Mapquest gives you real time directions so that 20 mins to the beach today may end up being a hour or so during the height of the tourist season with all the traffic.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Hi Peter, I'm another NY'er looking to move close to De beaches.

I found Mapquest to be very helpful. I can see where a house is located on the map and i can get directions from whatever house I'm looking at to either Rehoboth or Lewes beach. Allso at the top of mapquest you can click on 'stores, doctors, etc and it will show you on the map where they're located.

Just a warning though... Mapquest gives you real time directions so that 20 mins to the beach today may end up being a hour or so during the height of the tourist season with all the traffic.

I see we taught you well!!!!

Old 02-24-2017, 02:41 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Hi flickfive!

Millsboro has many stores on route 113--BJ's, Weis, drug stores, Dunkin', and a few fast food and casual restaurants. You won't have to drive very far for basic necessities if you live near route 113.

Same goes for Ocean View--the area is so built up now that anyone's need for groceries, rx, doctors, booze, mattresses, and many other things are within a short drive. I live within a mile's drive of two grocery stores, a bank, a liquor store, take-out food, and other amenities. Drive another mile and there's another boatload of stores. My biggest complaint is there is no Wal Mart or Target and I have to drive in heavy traffic to get to either, but I guess one cannot have it all.

Lewes/Rehoboth area--has every store imaginable.....well, maybe that's an exaggeration but there is much to offer. Oh, and most of Lewes, Rehoboth, and OV have central water and sewer. Millsboro has more wells and septic.

As far as wanting quiet....I wish you luck. It was very quiet when I moved to OV back in 2002, but endless housing construction, a huge increase in rentals, and loud, partying weekenders put a damper on that awhile ago. My advice is to be leery of renters and weekenders regardless of age unless they are elderly. We have a weekender from upstate next door--in their 40's with a school age child--who get drunk/high when they come down, party like they're in a frat house (with kid present), and I'd like to send off into outer space.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:31 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Was there a contest way back when to name as many places with an "M" that you could? Millsboro, Milford & Milton, I can't get them straight other than I know that the Old Bank in Millsboro is now a bar, Peppers Greenhouse is in Milton, Odd Job is in Milford. I mean no slight on them but those are my compass marks. I am paralyzed when someone say one of the "M's to me and then I always have to ask about the above to get them straight.
Don't forget about Millville, also in Sussex County.

I have the same problem keeping them straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware