Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 12:15 PM

187 posts, read 226,612 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be ready to move in a year, and have been looking at a few different cities on the East coast! I currently live in NJ. I live in a developing area right now- building going on all the time, what trees are left being knocked down, it's a high drug/crime area which I definitely want to get away from.

I will finish with school next year and have a BSN. I'll be moving with my mom who is a math teacher/administrator. Our housing budget is around 400k.

We have been to the Raleigh area in NC, and I fell in love with it. I liked how it was an active area but it was like being in a park- all trees and nature around you. (which is why I loved it!!) My mom and I didn't really like downtown Raleigh because it looked like all men hanging at bars and some parts didn't seem safe.

I will also be visiting Tampa in August.

About NC and especially Tampa, I'm not sure if I will like the heat. I am really into hiking in the woods with my dogs and friends... That's out for Tampa (but Tampa has other appeals to me like USF for grad school, beach, active city)

Anyway then I was looking north. I couldn't find an area in VA that my mom and I both agreed on. I liked Charlottesville but she didn't (too "away from civilization" she said). She likes Williamsburg but I didn't really see the type of hospital I'd like to work in around there.

I was looking at Lewes, and was curious, do you like living here? Can you compare it to similar a city in NJ please? Is it active- are younger people around?

Thanks for reading.

I wanted to add an edit. I've done some research, looking at real estate sites and google maps, and reading about the hospitals, and how far it is to travel to other places I'm interested in going to for day trips, etc. I don't have a lot of free time to visit yet, my trip to Tampa is my only free time this summer, because I am employed in an internship and taking a summer class. I guess I mainly want to know if there are all ages around- families, seniors, etc. And events or things that go on, and if anyone could please compare it to a city in NJ since I'm familiar with everywhere in NJ I think! Thank you again.

Last edited by Abirdinahand; 05-06-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 04:28 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,690 times
A very valuable feature of City-Data is that you can get all kinds of demographic info -- like population age, income, housing prices -- for communities across the country. Here's the page for Lewes: http://www.city-data.com/city/Lewes-Delaware.html. Lots of links to more info.

If you Google for something like "compare cities," you'll get lots of options. This is one example: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Lewes is a historic town full of retirees. I don't know NJ all that well, but maybe it would compare to Cape May?

My impression of the job market in and around Lewes is that you'll be fine with good credentials in health care. Don't know how good the salaries are. I have no idea how hard it is to get a job in the local school district, Cape Henlopen.

Last edited by Yac; 05-10-2017 at 06:30 AM..

Old 05-06-2017, 06:05 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
The City of Lewes is a tourist town. If you like living in that environment, you'll love Lewes. The 19958 zip code encompasses the City of Lewes, and surrounding (not in the city) area. Here's a map of the 19958 Zip Code.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Le...6UABEQ8gEIezAK

The following map shows the City of Lewes boundaries:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Le...!4d-75.1393498

Lewes attracts retirees, and the City invites them all. Yes, there are young people there, mostly during the summer months. Here's how the City of Lewes invites retirees:
http://www.lewes.com/real-estate/why...-in-lewes.html

I'm a Delaware native, and prefer to live in mid Kent County, but the Lewes/Rehoboth areas are more popular, due to their locations near/on the water. Obviously, those places are tourist magnets, and real estate prices reflect that. However, compared to real estate prices where newcomers are coming from, I guess they're not bad. Delaware is only about 96 miles long, so you can imagine, it's a quick trip down there from anywhere in Delaware. I stay away from Lewes/Rehoboth, unless my work takes me there. And then, I plan my work calendar to best avoid the summer traffic snarls.

Last edited by rdlr; 05-06-2017 at 06:20 PM..

Old 05-06-2017, 07:54 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
If your mother thinks Charlottesville is too far from civilization she might feel the same way about Lewes. Lewes is nice but kind of compact. If you ever visit it you will see what I mean.

My relocation search is leading me to greater Charlottesville, Virginia. Also greater Greenville, South Carolina.

I like Delaware very much but there is a lot of what appears to be uncontrolled growth. And water can be an issue.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:15 PM

153 posts, read 319,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abirdinahand View Post
Hi,

I will be ready to move in a year, and have been looking at a few different cities on the East coast! I currently live in NJ. I live in a developing area right now- building going on all the time, what trees are left being knocked down, it's a high drug/crime area which I definitely want to get away from.

I will finish with school next year and have a BSN. I'll be moving with my mom who is a math teacher/administrator. Our housing budget is around 400k.

We have been to the Raleigh area in NC, and I fell in love with it. I liked how it was an active area but it was like being in a park- all trees and nature around you. (which is why I loved it!!) My mom and I didn't really like downtown Raleigh because it looked like all men hanging at bars and some parts didn't seem safe.

I will also be visiting Tampa in August.

About NC and especially Tampa, I'm not sure if I will like the heat. I am really into hiking in the woods with my dogs and friends... That's out for Tampa (but Tampa has other appeals to me like USF for grad school, beach, active city)

Anyway then I was looking north. I couldn't find an area in VA that my mom and I both agreed on. I liked Charlottesville but she didn't (too "away from civilization" she said). She likes Williamsburg but I didn't really see the type of hospital I'd like to work in around there.

I was looking at Lewes, and was curious, do you like living here? Can you compare it to similar a city in NJ please? Is it active- are younger people around?

Thanks for reading.

I wanted to add an edit. I've done some research, looking at real estate sites and google maps, and reading about the hospitals, and how far it is to travel to other places I'm interested in going to for day trips, etc. I don't have a lot of free time to visit yet, my trip to Tampa is my only free time this summer, because I am employed in an internship and taking a summer class. I guess I mainly want to know if there are all ages around- families, seniors, etc. And events or things that go on, and if anyone could please compare it to a city in NJ since I'm familiar with everywhere in NJ I think! Thank you again.
What kind of town/city do you live in jersey now? I'm familar with Hoboken, Jersey city, Princeton, woodbridge. Those towns don't come close to Sussex County Delaware at all. I would say that maybe the Princeton area might in concept. Downtown lewes Imo comes closest to towns in Westchester NY like Larchmont or pelham, if you'very ever been there. Nice and quaint with no big stores.

Does your mom expect to drive anywhere or does she expect to walk to grocery? For lewes you will most likely drive everywhere. There are nice communities with HOA's that will definitely fit in your budget. You may be able to work at Beebe hospital which is expanding. Drugs are prevalent in Delaware but I haven't seen it although i know its around.

You may want to provide more information about what kind of housing you want, ranch, mobile home, hoa or no hoa , new, used, 2000 sq ft, 3000sq ft, walk to beach, 10, 20, 30 minutes to beach, etc ?

Depending on where you are in jersey, you may want to take a saturday or sunday daytrip to the lewes area, once you hone in more. Its probably best to do this before the busy season starts end of may. You can take a daytrip each weekend. We took a daytrip every weekend to look.

There are so many more factors to consider.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:52 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
OP,

With a degree in nursing you would have a perfect opportunity to try out living in the Lewes area for 3 - 6 months by looking for an opportunity to be a visiting nurse for 3 - 6 months at Beebe Hospital during the "off season" between Oct - April.

During the off season you can rent a furnished condo at a reasonable price for 3 to 6 months near the downtown area and within walking/biking distance of the hospital. This would give you an opportunity to try out the area to see if it is to your liking. (During the beach season that some condo could cost you 5X's as much to rent if you can find one that is not booked solid for the beach season.)

If you like Beebe and they like you there is a real possibility of going to fulltime status.

I think having an opportunity to try out an area is better than committing to an area and buying a house only to find out a few months down the road that the job or the location is not want you want.

If Lewes is where you would like to live, invite you Mom to come down on weekends to visit and see if it works for her as well. If she likes the area as well she can explore job opportunities for herself. Only then do you want to think about buying a home in the area.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:57 AM

11 posts, read 11,138 times
I grew up in Lewes, it's great to raise children here. The tourism is nice and light considering most people keep heading south to Rehoboth and Ocean City. The locals are nice and crime rate is low, no dodgy areas. The police definitely protect the area and the beaches and State Parks are quiet and relaxing most of the time. It's only setback is the Winters are very cold down here. Good luck

Old 05-07-2017, 09:07 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I think renting for a while is an excellent idea. Even if something looks good on paper, it doesn't mean you're going to like it. Even if you love DE, Lewes and the beach crowd might not be the best choice. Since you're from NJ, I assume you know all about beach traffic.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:16 PM

175 posts, read 203,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete8 View Post
I grew up in Lewes, it's great to raise children here. The tourism is nice and light considering most people keep heading south to Rehoboth and Ocean City. The locals are nice and crime rate is low, no dodgy areas. The police definitely protect the area and the beaches and State Parks are quiet and relaxing most of the time. It's only setback is the Winters are very cold down here. Good luck
Just wondering what you mean by "very cold"?

Old 05-08-2017, 01:24 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaTea View Post
Just wondering what you mean by "very cold"?
Not sure what he means, but winter by the water has always seemed bone chilling to me. Maybe it's the wind of the just above freezing dampness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: