Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 9,067 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in MD but are very interested in moving to Delaware. Would love to have input about Newark, Bear and surrounding cities. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2006, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 12,716 times
Newark, A college town but very family oriented. Lots of traffic in the day peacefull at night( as long as you are away form downtown parties and bars) Bear, Traffic galore heavily populated as is most of New Castle County. Ill try and think of more or if you have any more ?s give me a shout

Old 03-17-2006, 12:14 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,257,781 times
Moved to DE (Kirkwood area) from the Philly area. What we like about DE is the affordable living, country atmosphere, good restaurants in Newark (Main Street near UD), relatively safe, fairly close to the beaches. Miss great city restaurants and being able to walk to the WaWa, post office, and other necessary places. You need to drive almost everywhere. There appear to be few neighborhoods--mostly developments.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:47 PM

14 posts, read 91,512 times
bokenpop - what part of MD do you live in? We are in NJ and thinking of moving to DE or MD. We were looking at Easton, Md. Can you give me any info about that area?

Old 04-15-2006, 10:42 AM
APa

2 posts, read 19,159 times
I guess traffic and congestion issues are relative. I have been living in New Castle County, DE for almost a year and find the traffic situation to be a relief from what I used to see in the Northern Suburbs of Philadelphia, PA.

In DE, I do notice a lot of out-of-state vehicles on the roads on the weekends (probably trying to save on PA, NJ, and MD sales tax as they shop). Also, there are a few bottleneck areas in New Castle County. However, my driving and parking experiences have been more positive here than they were in Philly, Montgomery, Bucks counties in PA.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:55 PM

132 posts, read 402,751 times
LOL, that is funny, we are moving away because so many people are moving here. It's not a bad state, I grew up here my entire life, but it is getting more and more over-crowded every day. Then again that is relative. It seems as if it is more crowded than I would like anyway. If you like living right on top of your neighbor, then this is the place. Not as bad as a big city I suppose, but it is getting close enough.

Newark, well, our neighborhood right near the University has car break ins all of the time. Quiet dead end street too. Hoodlums. And there isn't going to be much of a football team this year because the players keep getting arrested for burglary and assault. There is more crime in Newark than is reported because the University keeps it under wraps (I know some police officers). There are some very poor areas here too.

Find it strange to be called country like... guess some people have never been to the country. Not meant as a slight, just that Delaware is NOTHING like living in the country; used to be. That is why we are moving away... to the country.

And you can get most drugs here that you want. I do believe Middletown had at some point one of the highest heroin usage problems. We suspect it is because DE is right between NYC and Baltimore. Lots of drugs in Wilmington right by schools. Police know where the dealers are and what they are doing, yet they don't bother stopping them. Haven't quite figured that one out. But if you are looking for drugs you won't have any problems here. Just read the police reports on www.delawareonline.com

Let's see, what other truth can I tell you. Restaurants are pretty good. I don't think the school system is too bad here considering some of the things I've read about other places in the country, but I went to private school so I don't have first-hand experience with the public school system. I would send my child to Charter School here though.

The other good thing is that when you get bored discovering all 140 miles of the state, you can go discover Philly and Baltimore and DC. We aren't far from any of those fun places. What we lack in culture/arts here, you certainly can find in the surrounding cities.

Like I said it isn't a bad place to live, we are just running out of room for people. You won't find a house with more than .25 acre of land, and most are about .15 or so. And the houses are pretty expensive compared to the wages people make here. I don't know how people can affort the real estate here, except those moving from even more expensive areas like NY and North Jersey and DC. A lot of retired people moving to Dover too. Guess for the slots. I can't imagine anything else to do in Dover, unless you like Nascar or something. There was just a big article in the local paper here about how the state can't handle all of these people moving in. Supposedly the governor is trying to do something about that. State is in a huge deficit though and it keeps getting worse.

Oh but the beaches are nice, for now. But we are running out of sand. And they are full of snotty tourists in the summer who can't drive.

Sorry to sound so negative, but this is the truth about Delaware. It's really not all its cracked up to be. Some people love it, I personally am trying to get away. You never really get to know a place though when you first move there. Talk to some people who have lived here for a while, they know what is really going on, not just what you see on the surface.

Good Luck!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:56 PM

44 posts, read 242,246 times
And they are full of snotty tourists in the summer who can't drive.

You wouldn't be referring to Pennsylvania drivers would you? LOL

Old 08-31-2008, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,964 times
how do i say thank you with words in the bible

Old 09-02-2008, 06:58 AM

271 posts, read 992,034 times
A few rushed general comments:

We last had family living in Newark in the early 90's, and we considered the area pleasant in a number of ways, but very congested and un-countrylike. The Newark to Wilmington sprawl is highly urban and trafficky according to us, and even more so in 2008. But the advantages are obvious: more restaurants, museums, cultural events, better shopping, etc., than farther south.

Sugar Magnolia and others would find lots more open country in Kent and Sussex counties, of course, along with far better proximity to the best beaches in the state, but, yes, of course you do sacrifice some of the above.

As for Dover, where we've lived for a long time, she makes a valid point. You do have to work to find things to do here in town. I think, based on much experience, that it works well for families with young children. By high school, if you have the choice, a private school to the north is the best path for some.

Most retirees are moving to the area because of the better tax situation in Delaware. The Dover area gives them reasonable access to beaches (half an hour to an hour depending on where in the Dover area you live). We plan to move from Dover (after 30+ years here), though that move is on hold, probably for several years, until the housing market is more favorable. We have no family in the state; we have reached the point where we're no longer happy to drive a couple hours or more (one way) to the major cities; we, like so many others, haven't found the local health care adequate (though it does seem to be improving). I think older people who are planning to move to this area should be aware that they may change their minds about driving longer distances, and that there's no train service, no reliable bus service, and that the airport limo services (you'll be flying out of Philly or BWI) are...well, let's just say we've never found one we could really count on.

Some areas of Delaware are a good fit for some people! Sometimes that changes over time. This might well happen wherever one chooses to live.
In our explorations of other places to settle, we've certainly discovered that perfection doesn't exist.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 7,474 times
Are kent and sussex county in the North of delaware? What suburban cities are in the north with good high schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware