Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:44 AM

11 posts, read 71,283 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am living in HK and my son is considering college n in the States. Anybody familair with University of Delaware or areas surrounding Newark?

My son is considering UD. Do u think UD is a good and safe place for undergraduate studies? Please post whatever comments you have about the school and surrounding areas, thank you! I am particularly concerned baut safety and activities available activities during weekends.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 PM

Hi, can somebody living in Newark or studying in UD help please!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,298 times
I knew some people who went there. It is a safe campus, and there are lots of activities on the weekend. There is a bustling main street near campus, and most of the businesses there are student-oriented. All in all, it's a decent college town.

As for the quality of the school itself, it would have to depend on your son's chosen major. I know that it's very well-regarded in chemical engineering, but I don't know much beyond that.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:25 PM

20 posts, read 95,856 times
It's a fun school, all my friends and myself go there. It's safe Newark no one every really travels alone. And strenghts are in numbers, and Newark it not a huge City so if needed City cops and campus police can be out quick.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 PM

thank you very much pcity and wilman. could anyone give more comments please b/c i have to make a very tough decision to leave my home city of Hong Kong and to go far away to UD and study for at least 4 years.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:38 AM

271 posts, read 995,397 times
During our decades living in Delaware, we've known many students who've attended U of Delaware, and the majority have been very happy with the school and the immediate area. Newark sprawls, but the area surrounding the University is almost a village in itself. They have good transportation to and from various parts of the campus, but students can walk most places without difficulty.

I've taught special interest courses there, and have found students, both of typical age and those returning to school in later years, to be excellent and attentive. Yes, as pcity says, the University's reputation for its chemical engineering program is outstanding. We've always understood that it has an excellent business department as well, and a number of other departments are well rated.

I don't know that one can be completely reassured about the safety on any campus these days, but as far as I know, the U of Delaware has had, overall, a good record in this respect.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:02 PM

9,719 posts, read 14,257,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
During our decades living in Delaware, we've known many students who've attended U of Delaware, and the majority have been very happy with the school and the immediate area. Newark sprawls, but the area surrounding the University is almost a village in itself. They have good transportation to and from various parts of the campus, but students can walk most places without difficulty.

I've taught special interest courses there, and have found students, both of typical age and those returning to school in later years, to be excellent and attentive. Yes, as pcity says, the University's reputation for its chemical engineering program is outstanding. We've always understood that it has an excellent business department as well, and a number of other departments are well rated.

I don't know that one can be completely reassured about the safety on any campus these days, but as far as I know, the U of Delaware has had, overall, a good record in this respect.
Great Post, Annie!
Our children didn't want to attend the University, because they insisted on going to other colleges. I was so disappointed! As an employee there, my children could have gone free at that time, and just pay for housing and books. These kids!

Old 03-16-2008, 08:03 PM

88 posts, read 320,121 times
I attended UofD and I never felt unsafe. Sure, there are a few thefts here and there, but I am not aware of any issues with violent crimes. Occasionally you hear about one, but it's not very often. The campus is nice and it's a good school. I would certainly feel comfortable sending my own children there.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:22 PM

361 posts, read 1,946,945 times
The art history department is fantastic.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 15,780 times
Default HK and DE - different and both nice

I have visited HK and DE. I love both of them. DE is very different. I cannot speak to UD, and many already have.

HK is a big city. DE is more rural. Many areas of DE remind me of the New Territories (less dense/less populated). The beaches in HK are sandy and wide. DE has lovely wide beaches too, but they extend fairly straight and are longer than the ones I've seen in HK. Both areas get ocasional spectacular thunder and lightening storms.

Public transportation in HK is easy and extensive. I can get anywhere on bus or subway in HK. I have always needed a car in DE. My first year of college I was on a campus similar to a 'small city' and I was without a car, so I joined up with others when I wanted to go to a 'big city'. You may wish to do that for your first year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware