Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 03:28 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times

Advertisements

Verizon has now dropped wboc, no more CBS or Fox?? Not in my lifetime did I think I would lose local channels, whether you like the NFL or not, it's ridiculous to lose two major networks, with basically no notice.

So cheap basic cable is now useless, good riddance, internet streaming here I come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 04:21 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
I don't think the stations had any warning either. I saw a trailer appear at the bottom of the screen last night when I was watching WBOC news requesting viewers to call Verizon and express their displeasure about losing their local stations.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:57 PM

20 posts, read 29,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Verizon has now dropped wboc, no more CBS or Fox?? Not in my lifetime did I think I would lose local channels, whether you like the NFL or not, it's ridiculous to lose two major networks, with basically no notice.

So cheap basic cable is now useless, good riddance, internet streaming here I come.
I have sling TV, it's pretty good.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I don't think the stations had any warning either. I saw a trailer appear at the bottom of the screen last night when I was watching WBOC news requesting viewers to call Verizon and express their displeasure about losing their local stations.
The lack of warning is ridiculous, I'm not sure how you can pull two major networks with a few hours notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez91 View Post
I have sling TV, it's pretty good.
I've had the indoor antenna for awhile, I never though that it would be permanent, it's like going back to the 1970's.

Can you get internet through Sling?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:26 PM

11 posts, read 16,202 times
Here is a copy of the e-mail I got from Verizon.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to secure a fair and reasonable new agreement, WBOC-TV (WBOC CBS & WBOC FOX) has removed their channels from the Fios® TV channel lineup as of October 1, 2017.

Be assured, we’re working hard to reach a reasonable agreement to keep their channels in the Fios TV channel lineup; however, they have asked for an excessive rate increase of over 175% for the content they deliver. An increase this large would force us to pass these costs on to our customers, which we are unwilling to do.

We’re hopeful that they will reconsider their rate increase and allow our customers access to their channels again.

Customers are encouraged to contact WBOC-TV to voice their concerns and request their channels be restored.

Facebook: Facebook.com/WBOCTV16

Twitter: Twitter.com/WBOC

Email: viewercomments@wboc.com

Phone: 410.749.1111

We appreciate your loyalty and patience.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShevyII View Post
Here is a copy of the e-mail I got from Verizon.

Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to secure a fair and reasonable new agreement, WBOC-TV (WBOC CBS & WBOC FOX) has removed their channels from the Fios® TV channel lineup as of October 1, 2017.

Be assured, we’re working hard to reach a reasonable agreement to keep their channels in the Fios TV channel lineup; however, they have asked for an excessive rate increase of over 175% for the content they deliver. An increase this large would force us to pass these costs on to our customers, which we are unwilling to do.

We’re hopeful that they will reconsider their rate increase and allow our customers access to their channels again.

Customers are encouraged to contact WBOC-TV to voice their concerns and request their channels be restored.

Facebook: Facebook.com/WBOCTV16

Twitter: Twitter.com/WBOC

Email: viewercomments@wboc.com

Phone: 410.749.1111

We appreciate your loyalty and patience.

That's the message on the Fox and CBS channels, the whole thing is ridiculous. I don't get why WBOC would raise any rates considering you can get them for free with an antenna. I also don't like Verizon taking channels away w/o significant notice, especially when you pay that company for service. It's like Verizon saying I can only call certain numbers on my cell phone.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:01 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
That's the message on the Fox and CBS channels, the whole thing is ridiculous. I don't get why WBOC would raise any rates considering you can get them for free with an antenna. I also don't like Verizon taking channels away w/o significant notice, especially when you pay that company for service. It's like Verizon saying I can only call certain numbers on my cell phone.
So Verizon is the only provider effected? We are just a few miles away and no problem with these channnels on Mediacom.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:08 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
So Verizon is the only provider effected? We are just a few miles away and no problem with these channnels on Mediacom.

It is just Verizon. Comcast still has these channels.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:09 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I can think of at least 3 times this happened on Long Island (NY) with the carrier Cablevision. They will settle in a few days and all will be back to normal. As you would expect, customers will also receive a rate increase in the next few months.

CBS did this to us several years back on the eve of one of the NFL playoff games, same deal no notice, but to be fair there really was notice because there were articles about the lack of progress in the negotiations. That said, you had to hunt for the articles and the channel posted a rolling screen message essentially putting the blame on the channels and saying they were working to get the resolved. Comcast will not be far behind.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
It is just Verizon. Comcast still has these channels.
I know it's crazy to say, but I miss Comcast, big time. Had them for 15 years up north, their on demand is much better than Fios, and theur internet is better than Mediacoms.

Doesn't matter now, I just ordered a much nicer indoor antenna, still cheap and will be cancelling Verizon except for internet. My neighbor gets great reception with his antenna and wboc channels are free. It's like going back to the late 70's early 80's, lol.

10 years ago when people really started using Antennas that picked up these digital signals, cable companies probably had a fit, just wish I did it sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware