Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 07:30 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times

Advertisements

Your 2018 Guide to Public Schools in Delaware

This is REALLY long, but it has so much good information on the current school situation, including how school choice works in practice, I thought it might be helpful to post here.

I was amazed to learn that more than 25% of public school students attend a school other than their "neighborhood" school.

I know that many of those who come to the Delaware forum are researching retirement possibilities. But occasionally it's a family with school-age kids. So someday maybe it will pop up for someone who searches for "schools" on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 01:52 PM

70 posts, read 100,240 times
My local public school is perhaps the best thing about Delaware since I've moved here. Honestly it's the main reason we'd end up staying in state here.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:21 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times
What school and school district?

Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 AM

Linden Hill Elementary in Red Clay. We are in the new Chinese immersion program. I'd actually prefer to live somewhere like Trolley Square, Kennett Square or something more concentrated/connected like that (even Philly itself) rather than chopped-up rural-ish development-land. We probably should've gone with the Chonese immersion in Downes Elementary near downtown Newark since that town is at least closer to our style (and we are always going there for restaurants), but I thought there might be more Chinese families in the Linden Hill immersion program. Anyway, we are very happy with the school.

Last edited by Icarus7; 01-17-2018 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-18-2018, 10:51 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus7 View Post
Linden Hill Elementary in Red Clay. We are in the new Chinese immersion program. I'd actually prefer to live somewhere like Trolley Square, Kennett Square or something more concentrated/connected like that (even Philly itself) rather than chopped-up rural-ish development-land. We probably should've gone with the Chonese immersion in Downes Elementary near downtown Newark since that town is at least closer to our style (and we are always going there for restaurants), but I thought there might be more Chinese families in the Linden Hill immersion program. Anyway, we are very happy with the school.
Very nice to hear.

As long as the Wilmington area schools suffer from bussing, families will move their children to Middletown, Smyrna, and South Eastern PA. Hopefully one day they’ll get it right.

Of course if they do, the News Journal won’t have an every other day article on Sallies, or one of their graduates

Old 01-18-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Very nice to hear.

As long as the Wilmington area schools suffer from bussing, families will move their children to Middletown, Smyrna, and South Eastern PA. Hopefully one day they’ll get it right.

Of course if they do, the News Journal won’t have an every other day article on Sallies, or one of their graduates
City bussing out generally doesn't happen until middle school. If I'm still around by then I still very much intend on continuing the immersion path laid out into whatever school that takes place at, unless some experience instructs me otherwise.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus7 View Post
City bussing out generally doesn't happen until middle school. If I'm still around by then I still very much intend on continuing the immersion path laid out into whatever school that takes place at, unless some experience instructs me otherwise.
Yes it does start then, and it’s why Brandywine school district lost students and closed schools during 2009-2012. Because Wilmington has high paying jobs and obviously Philly does, North Wilmington will always have a large population, and because of bussing the Private schools in that area will continue to thrive. It works out well for some, for myself and thousands of other families, we left.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:44 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Very nice to hear.

But much better for the area than some of the bad news stories, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware