Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:44 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

I'm way inland away from the coast and there are lots here that stay wet for DAYS. My own will be soggy and it's best to wear your rubber boots for a few days after a heavy rain, but it drains well compared to the empty lot down the road. I keep wishing that one would freeze over so I could ice skate on it. Most places I see nearby, residential and commercial, are built with drainage ponds on the property. There are no basements that I know of nearby. So it's a problem everywhere, just a case of what protections are built in, what soil you have, good or bad luck, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 02:57 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'm way inland away from the coast and there are lots here that stay wet for DAYS. My own will be soggy and it's best to wear your rubber boots for a few days after a heavy rain, but it drains well compared to the empty lot down the road. I keep wishing that one would freeze over so I could ice skate on it. Most places I see nearby, residential and commercial, are built with drainage ponds on the property. There are no basements that I know of nearby. So it's a problem everywhere, just a case of what protections are built in, what soil you have, good or bad luck, etc.
I'm in Kent County, and most all new constructions have basements. Yes, storm drainage, or retention ponds are typical, too. I'm surprised that there's no law stating those ponds should be fenced in. In my opinion, they just draw wild geese, which could be diseased. Along with that, their droppings really nasty up the place. Not unusual, also, to see houses listed in the multi list saying "waterfront lot". Ahhhh...it's a storm drainage pond!

Our lot drains well, as I said....a town lot on a hill, and it's never muddy.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:19 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
We laugh about those waterfront lot/storm drainage ponds too! Oh yes, the geese really like them. Sooo many developments in my area have those storm drainage ponds along with the geese.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
We laugh about those waterfront lot/storm drainage ponds too! Oh yes, the geese really like them. Sooo many developments in my area have those storm drainage ponds along with the geese.
We have two in our community. Apparently they are a requirement for a new development to handle the rainwater overflow and prevent taxing of the existent system. We are very lucky, we have mallards and blue herons but I only saw a handful of geese in the 5 years I am here. We did have a few turtles that meandered by too.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:43 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
hmmmm....sounds like a bit of a''crap shoot'' then - unless there's an obvious elevation As I said, i'll be taking quarts of water with me when I begin to view homes - because if you could see my yard (AND my dogs) you would cry!!

THANKS FOR THE INFO XO

Old 03-10-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
hmmmm....sounds like a bit of a''crap shoot'' then - unless there's an obvious elevation As I said, i'll be taking quarts of water with me when I begin to view homes - because if you could see my yard (AND my dogs) you would cry!!

THANKS FOR THE INFO XO
I think this link says it all. We are "At" sea level (Atlantic Ocean) to 60' above sea level (Eastern Sussex County near beaches).....Less than 500' above sea level for the rest of the state.
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

When you get into the above link, click "Delaware" last in the column.

Last edited by Yac; 03-15-2018 at 07:09 AM..

Old 03-10-2018, 05:54 AM

Nuts--I guess that explains why there are so many storm drainage ponds here in these new developments. Now that I think of it, almost every development has one except for older ones such as mine and a couple others. Two developments nearby actually have fish stocked in their drainage ponds and I see people fishing. Of course, it's catch and release....not that I would want to keep anything I caught in there given the way they douse lawns with lawn poison around here.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:23 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Nuts--I guess that explains why there are so many storm drainage ponds here in these new developments. Now that I think of it, almost every development has one except for older ones such as mine and a couple others. Two developments nearby actually have fish stocked in their drainage ponds and I see people fishing. Of course, it's catch and release....not that I would want to keep anything I caught in there given the way they douse lawns with lawn poison around here.
Yes, and they are a large part of our budget as they have to be ecologically maintained in terms of invasive plants and algae. Once a month the company we have goes out in a row boat and takes water samples and if the plantings are out of control they cut them down or back. We have fountains that keep the algae mostly at bay and I think they also prevent a lot of the geese population from landing in our ponds. While I don't have a pond "rear" home, I can say it is a delight to watch the baby mallards and gorgeous herons. Every so often I have seen an egret but they are not so frequent.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Yes, and they are a large part of our budget as they have to be ecologically maintained in terms of invasive plants and algae. Once a month the company we have goes out in a row boat and takes water samples and if the plantings are out of control they cut them down or back. We have fountains that keep the algae mostly at bay and I think they also prevent a lot of the geese population from landing in our ponds. While I don't have a pond "rear" home, I can say it is a delight to watch the baby mallards and gorgeous herons. Every so often I have seen an egret but they are not so frequent.
That's a good idea. I am pretty sure the newer developments here with fountains are doing the same because their ponds don't look bad during the summer. I don't think one of the fishing ponds in an older development I ride though is though--always looks green and slimy. The geese do flock to that one too.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Yep, Liz...it's a requirement. I don't know much about Sussex County and storm drainage ponds, but here's how Kent County helps subdivisions (through the HOA) probably similar to what Nuts was talking about in Sussex:
Stormwater Management District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware