U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 AM

7,321 posts, read 10,750,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Well they are not all over the place. I have been here one year and have not seen one yet. My neighbors have seen a few but I attribute this to construction. Our community is not filled yet and they are still digging and building.
I usually see them in the spring, not much during the colder months. I was at a house yesterday, and saw some snake skins, which they shed in the spring, so I walked gingerly around the yard. At our house near Marydel, there are black snakes, galore. Whenever I go in the barn, I automatically look up. My parents used to like to see black snakes around because they kept mice away, and kept birds from building nests in the porch areas. When we lived on our farm, there was one old tree snakes lived in...and the kids and I stayed away from there. Black snakes are considered harmless. Nonetheless, I'm not a big fan of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 06:18 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,545,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
I usually see them in the spring, not much during the colder months. I was at a house yesterday, and saw some snake skins, which they shed in the spring, so I walked gingerly around the yard. At our house near Marydel, there are black snakes, galore. Whenever I go in the barn, I automatically look up. My parents used to like to see black snakes around because they kept mice away, and kept birds from building nests in the porch areas. When we lived on our farm, there was one old tree snakes lived in...and the kids and I stayed away from there. Black snakes are considered harmless. Nonetheless, I'm not a big fan of them.
OMG delly..........you are grossing me out
I know I would have had died right on the spot. There is no way I would be able to do your job. One is bad enough but a "bunch" Delly!!

We have cats to keep our mice away. Much better. I know they are harmless but being the sissy I am..........just can't stand to watch them slither. I won't even visit the reptile house at the zoo.
Your a better person than me delly.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
We have cats to keep our mice away. Much better.
CATS???
I'm sending you an e-mail, Eliza. This place had CATS and SNAKE SKINS!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
CATS???
I'm sending you an e-mail, Eliza. This place had CATS and SNAKE SKINS!

You trying to kill me delly. LOL Send the email, I would like to see snake skins as long as the snakes are not in them.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:59 AM

Sorry, Eliza.....I don't have any snake skin photos for you! They were nothing special!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Eliza.....I don't have any snake skin photos for you! They were nothing special!
oh boo hoo and wha wha.............(tantarum).
LOL............
Now to get ready for the gym. Really don't feel like it but when you tell someone you will be there, that is a good motivator.

Later gator,
Oh one of the girls I worked with used to call me gator. That was my nick name. She had some nerve
Oh my........I see i'm off topic. Better start behaving meself.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 AM

271 posts, read 901,759 times
Not afraid of snakes, which is good because we have lots of black snakes on our property! I think some of them, the more mature ones which have a blue-black gleam, are beautiful in their own way. I've also seen the occasional, and even more beautiful (black and white) pine snake. They are completely harmless and beneficial, as has been noted.

We also see foxes and I haven't suspected any of them as being rabid, but some appear to have mange. The healthy ones are quite gorgeous.

All the critters Delly mentioned appear from time to time on our property, along with multitudes of birds, even the occasional bald eagle.

There's only one venomous snake in Delaware. That's the copperhead, and they are rarely seen.

Probably the most dangerous critter in Delaware is the deer tick, which carries Lyme disease. They're endemic here, but they're in most states now.
Just be sure you take a good shower after you've been out!

Enjoy the Delaware critters, I say!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
Not afraid of snakes, which is good because we have lots of black snakes on our property!
ElizaMary just isn't looking hard enough, Annie!!! I see plenty, too!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
ElizaMary just isn't looking hard enough, Annie!!! I see plenty, too!

You are sooo right Delly. And I don't look hard enough on purpose. Even when I go out walking, I do a quick scan over the area to make sure nothing is slithering. then I continue.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 PM

693 posts, read 2,611,948 times
Gotta fess up... my daughter has a pet snake. I've never seen him out of the tank but she is not the least bit afraid of him. He is in a glass aquarium and is buried most of the time in a vermiculite type substance. When he comes to the surface, their the cat sits on top of the cage and watches him.
My girl didn't get her love of snakes from me..if ya know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or