Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:40 AM

419 posts, read 387,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Perhaps next year, once I'm collecting my early SS check I would be able to afford a bit more and could check out these places. Does MD have ANY type of tax breaks for seniors?
Maryland has a Homeowners' Property Tax Credit Program for low income home owners, and it appears that it's not limited to seniors. Check out this link: Homeowners' Property Tax Credit Program which gives the requirements for the credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 11:04 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,347,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Maryland has a Homeowners' Property Tax Credit Program for low income home owners, and it appears that it's not limited to seniors. Check out this link: Homeowners' Property Tax Credit Program which gives the requirements for the credit.
Thank you, Still Roaming! I will indeed investigate this! XO

Old 07-07-2018, 01:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,424,911 times
Smile thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Since you live in Dover, you're very close to many charming places in nearby Maryland. Just like Woodland Beach in Delaware, Maryland has small fishing villages that were once hopping places with dance halls and amusement parks. Steamboats used to bring city folks over to enjoy beach towns like Tolchester and Betterton. Although those days are long gone and the amusement parks have vanished, places like these have small beaches, boat docks, and a restaurant or two. The old stone steps at Betterton that I remember so well as a kid remain in place, and I still remember going there on warm summer nights. Others may only see old, sleepy towns lost in another time, but my imagination always takes over when I visit. Fanciful, I know, but I can see the steamboats and happy passengers in my mind's eye and "hear" the music and laughter.

If you head north of Chestertown on Rt. 213, a few miles up you'll come to Georgetown. This is where the young and charming Kitty Knight saved part of the town from the British in the War of 1812 by pleading with the British Admiral not to burn the rest of the town. There is a local restaurant called the Kitty Knight House which has changed hands a few times. Many don't know there was a real Kitty Knight, but her grave can be found further north in Warwick, MD.

If you head north past Georgetown, you'll eventually come to quaint Chesapeake City, MD. It's a well-known old town that is nice to walk around with a few restaurants. Walter Cronkite used to dock his boat at Schaefer's Canal House and grab a bite. The tall bridge has had a few lost souls who made the leap off, but I suppose that happens with most bridges. I remember going to the C&D Canal Museum there as a child and finding it interesting.

As Sunglo said, you'll also find lovely towns like Easton and St. Michael's and I'll add Oxford. These are southwest of Dover and are worth a trip. The Eastern Shore is more quiet than Delaware, and you can drive the back roads without meeting a single car. It's a nice escape when you're looking for a little peace and quiet or just something a little different.

Just this week my local library had a used book sale and I was able to pick up copies of travel books to this area, including "Maryland and Delaware off the Beaten Path" and "Delaware Curiosities". The Beaten Path book is one of a series and I have the Connecticut, Massachusetts and Nevada editions. I love exploring small towns so I really appreciate your suggestions.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:15 AM

32,916 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Just this week my local library had a used book sale and I was able to pick up copies of travel books to this area, including "Maryland and Delaware off the Beaten Path" and "Delaware Curiosities". The Beaten Path book is one of a series and I have the Connecticut, Massachusetts and Nevada editions. I love exploring small towns so I really appreciate your suggestions.
When I moved to North Carolina, my father sent, mailed, Off the Beaten Path to me. He knew me better than I thought he did.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:05 PM

77 posts, read 101,290 times
Maryland usually shows up pretty low on the many lists I see for best places to retire. I think that's due to cost of living and taxes, but they usually factor in other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware