Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 11:21 AM

9,688 posts, read 14,163,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am layla View Post
part timers are not as much of a problem as weekly renters. check the developments you are interested in to determine if you will be living next to a new party every week.
From my on-the-job experience, I have found that part timers rent to weekly renters mostly during the summer months. Great income!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 11:27 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,890,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYers2DE View Post
Have fun with your search! Working with a realtor is a smart move. Our local realtor was a big help steering us away from the planned communities with a high percentage of part-timers/renters who come here to party hard.
Sounds like you have a real gem of a realtor! Definitely keep that one...you hit the jackpot there.

I wish you could live near me because you sound like somebody who would be a good neighbor. I moved into my development in 2002 and it was just a quiet, older development full of mostly elderly retirees and a few peaceful weekenders. JUST what we wanted--we were only in our late 20's then, but we wanted a quiet and orderly place to raise my young son. We still had vacant lots in here--junk lots nobody wanted to buy because they always had standing water in or near them. Well, older homes were sold dirt cheap (for this area) as the elderly retirees passed away or went into nursing homes. All the junk lots were purchased these past two years and now some residents (not us) have flooding issues they never had before due to all the overbuilding on junk lots.

We're in our mid forties now and also empty nesters. Many people our age(ish) bought the older homes for sale when the elderly owners passed and some of them love to party hard and raise Cain on summer weekends. Not all, but some. State police were regular visitors at some of the nearby homes because they were so loud. They would invite twenty-some people to stay the weekend with them in their 1200 sq.ft. home and you would hear cars in and out all night long. They finally got a clue after the HOA fined them for noise violations, but the endless visitors all weekend long remain which is noise that will not stop.

We had issues with slumlords renting to convicted felons and other various dirtbags in here as well, but the HOA finally revised the by laws and required criminal background checks for renters because it was such a huge problem with the constant state police in and out or probation officers having to (literally) chase them down. MUCH better renters in here now, mostly families or elderly people. Anyway, just figured I'd share this because I am impressed that you have found a good realtor who also wants to find a peaceful home for you and not just cash in.

Last edited by DelawareLiz; 10-15-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 12:19 PM

85 posts, read 131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
From my on-the-job experience, I have found that part timers rent to weekly renters mostly during the summer months. Great income!
yeah. nothing like having transients where you live.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:22 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,937,586 times
In our community of 115 homes, we have many 10 renters of which only 2 created a problem. Most of them are long term rentals. Of the remaining 2 our board made the owners aware of the problems and in one case there were two loud parties before the owner changed his screening policy and it has been over 3 years since we had a problem there. In fact, the people over the past three years have been extraordinary. The other case has been permanently resolved as once he could not rent to a baseball team or park 8 cars, he sold and the new owners are permanent residents.

The HOA board and your CC&R's hold the keys to what can be done to alleviate problems. The board told the two homes that in such a residential area we could not allow loud parties into the wee hours of the night and large numbers of non related people to rent. They were informed that accordingly they would lose the use of both the indoor and outdoor pool and clubhouse, fitness room and tennis court if there was another incident. They could do this because we had a solid board that wanted to have a peaceful community and the bylaws & CC&r's were behind us.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:30 AM

77 posts, read 99,066 times
We're considering a move as well. But given recent events and the consensus of oh, 97% of the world's climate scientists, does it give anyone pause to purchase a home and property at sea level? What's the deal with flood insurance in the area? Is it available? Required? Affordable?

Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 AM

19,924 posts, read 8,826,306 times
Problems with rentals are created by property owners not properly screening who they rent to.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:32 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,937,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242 View Post
We're considering a move as well. But given recent events and the consensus of oh, 97% of the world's climate scientists, does it give anyone pause to purchase a home and property at sea level? What's the deal with flood insurance in the area? Is it available? Required? Affordable?
Yes, it is available. FEMA released a new flood map a few years back. If you are looking to purchase, you can look your home plot up or ask your realtor. Most people that can afford to build at the water put the homes up on pilings to keep it save. That said, there are a number of plots/homes in a waterfront community near me that are not in the flood zone.

Old 10-16-2018, 06:53 AM

9,688 posts, read 14,163,479 times
Delaware Flood Planning Tool

Here's an easy map to search out flood plain areas. You can either type in address, or....maybe it's easier to go to the blue squares on the right and click, click, click to enlarge the area, or roll your mouse wheel in an area to enlarge. On the left, it will tell you if the property is in a designated flood plain area.

For my work, I pay for flood certification information, but this link matches the info I receive from my paid subscription.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:48 PM

829 posts, read 621,992 times
Thanks for sharing and posting that site, rdlr - I've never seen one specifically for Delaware and this seems very current.

Before we put down a deposit on a house, I checked the FEMA Flood Map. https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home as I didn't know about the DE site, which I find much easier to navigate.

I'll admit that I AM a little nervous about our decision to build a home in Sussex County, but what is done is done. According to the FEMA map, we're in the same Flood Zone (X) at the address in DE as we are here in Maryland, so I'm just going to hope for the best. When we buy the Homeowners insurance prior to settlement, I plan to get flood insurance unless it's outrageous, but I understand that the premium for most homes is ~$400, though I don't know how true that is.

For anyone who is considering a Schell Brothers home and isn't on their email list, I thought I'd mention the open house for their Design Center is this coming Saturday from 3-5:00PM. I would think if you called them or visited one of their model homes, you could get invited. We went a few years ago and it was very interesting to see.

Last edited by lyndyb; 10-16-2018 at 06:01 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 06:30 PM

77 posts, read 99,066 times
Those flood zone maps don't factor in what the climate scientists are overwhelmingly telling us - that as soon as 2030 to 2040 what is currently at sea level could be a few inches deep - permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware