U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2008, 07:33 AM

1,999 posts, read 6,613,105 times

Advertisements

1. Are there alot of mom and pop type restaurants where you can get a dinner for under $15 in Wilmington that would be in safe areas to eat at? Anybody have an idea of the average price of a dinner at most places is there? I have found this actually varies according to the area.
Are there alot of franchises there (McDonalds, Arbys, etc.) or are the restaurants mostly mom and pop types in Wilmington?
2. I gather it is cold there--or coat weather--for about 7 months of the year. Is this correct?
3. Delaware personality of the people: Like NYC? More in-your-face than Southern hospitality I gather or am I wrong? Are the people there direct and straightforward like in Chicago or NY? Or are they closed mouthed, smile in your face and say nothing--although they may talk about you as you walk away--as they are in many parts of the South?
From the attitudes of the members on this particular board, I gather it is more direct and straightforward and in-your-face or is this just a few here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:18 AM

445 posts, read 901,432 times
In my two years in DE, I have handed out Halloween candy in shorts n' flip flops both years and mowed the grass for the last time in early December and the first time in late March. Jacket season here is four month, at most five. And most of that time is light jacket season. But, it is also dependent on where you are coming from. For me, a transplanted Chicagoan, my "real" winter jacket remains unused until I travel to colder climates. If you come here from Atlanta, yea it will feel cold. Coldest temp in my two winters here has been about zero. Total snow in two years; maybe 8-10 inches.

The states personality is very diverse. Wilmington and Northern Delaware in general is likely as you guessed. Philly influenced, more direct, I95 corridor like. But as you pass Route 40 on your way south the change begins and by the time you cross the canal you have entered the south. NASCAR, monster trucks, Waffle House and sweet tea kind of south. The beach are less so with the mass of new residents from Boston to DC.

Good luck with your quest.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,613,105 times
Wow...interesting State.
Yes, I read about how you have such cold there and I, too, am originally from Chicago. If you are wearing flip flops at Halloween and cutting the grass in December and cut the grass for the first time in March, well..my kind of winter. Cool!!!! Can you imagine wearing flip flops trick or treating in Chicago? You would catch a first class cold.
This State is interesting as all getout for such a small place. I cannot wait to see for myself...

Old 04-07-2008, 01:43 AM

4,632 posts, read 5,990,347 times
Hi Tootsie!
As a born/raised Delawarean, I'd like to put in my 2 cents. Delaware has been gradually changing, because of the influx of newbies from surrounding states. While I believe it is still a cordial state (and thought to be by transplants) it certainly isn't like I remember it to be. I'm seeing more rude drivers, and people less likely to have eye contact, even if I'm standing next to them in a grocery line. Generally speaking, out-of-staters are very easy to identify, and because we are getting them ALL, it has impacted the way we live. No longer do I see all the people I grew up with, every day. And, if I do see them on occasion, it's like a family reunion, with the topic of conversation being.....How things have changed, and not for the good.

jdoll has it right about the weather and the areas of Delaware, in regard to friendliness. Below the ditch (Chesapeake-Delaware Canal) life is pretty simple in Kent County, but not as it once was. When I go down to the beach area, only on work, I see plenty of attitudes which, apparently, were brought from nearby states. A look at the tax rolls shows that about 5-10% of Delawareans own property in Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach and Bethany Beach. As kids, we would often vacation down at Indian River Inlet on Keybox Road, pop open a tent, and enjoy the clear, clean, ocean, Monday and Tuesday, almost every week. Now that beach area is off limits, except for a small State Park area, and no camping is allowed. The last time I swam in any of that ocean was over 30 years ago, and that's pretty much the way it is with other locals. The water is murky, Rehoboth Beach is dirty, and sea gulls will swoop down and snatch a slice of pizza right out of your hand. I try to stay open minded and friendly, but some locals resent the masses of newcomers. The newer bumper stickers I've seen are really rude. Maybe the ones with those bumper stickers think they're locals because they've been here 10 years . We now live in a small town in Kent County, and we previously farmed 200 acres of land here, where we raised our children. This little town is one of the last "unaffected" areas I know of, and we have town meetings with about 10 people in attendance, punch and cookies for dessert, and a New Year's Day breakfast at someone's house to kick off the year. We sweep our own streets and sidewalks, organize our own parties, parades, activities, and readily remind each other...."don't sweep your grass clippings in the storm drains because it will clog things up" !! When a newcomer moves into town, we all know it. They not only sweep, but blatantly blow their grass clippings directly into the storm drains. If you tell them not to, expect the worse.

Last edited by rdlr; 04-07-2008 at 02:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware