Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 03:45 PM

829 posts, read 628,671 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this isn't an appropriate thread, but while visiting friends today (we still live in Maryland), they told us Jimmy's Grille in Rehoboth is closing. I looked it up and found the following article. SO disappointed, as we just loved the restaurant and were really looking forward to it being on a regular rotation, as we won't live far from there.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...-dec-29/172135
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 03:38 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
Is their Bridgeville location closed as well?

Old 12-30-2018, 06:28 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
NJBoy--believe it just reopened. It was closed for health code violations.

I am disappointed over Jimmy's in Rehoboth closing as well. We like good, down home cooking with decent portions and prices and that's what we got every single time. Not a lot of that around here--mostly fancy pants places that have servings the size of an appetizer. We enjoyed their tasty chicken, limas and dumplings, and ohhhh...that coconut cake!

Jimmy's was one of our go to places in the beach area. I liked it better than its competitor, which is Cracker Barrel.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:34 AM

The former web site of the Jimmy's Grille in Rehoboth now shows only the Dewey location and Catering. However, there is a separate web site for Jimmy's in Bridgeville. That may be because the comments of the Cape Gazette article - and some reviews indicate the Bridgeville location was sold earlier in 2018.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:39 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Us, too, Beachliz! Actually, Jimmy's Grille in Rehoboth, was our only reason to make a special "eating" trip to the beach area from Kent County, Delaware. You're right, the beach eateries/restaurants are nothing but money magnets, in our opinion. Hearty meals are hard to find down there. We went to Jimmy's Grille in Bridgeville, one time and didn't like it.

Rudy's, in Harrington, is our local hearty meal choice. Can't beat their weekday Blue Ribbon Special: 2 eggs, 2 strips/bacon, 2 link sausages, 2 pancakes, hot tea or coffee for under $4.00......quick service, no frills, just happy people. Last week we were at Rudy's and my husband asked the jolly guy who greeted us if we could have "that" table. "Absolutely" the greeter said, "that one is a $50 table and the best! The other one is a $5 table, but from looking at you, I know money is no object."

Last edited by rdlr; 12-30-2018 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 12-30-2018, 07:18 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Count me in among the stunned people. I often had meetings there and they were always busy. I would agree with RDLR, locals here, myself included get taken every day because of where we live. My sister is in for the holidays and was ASTOUNDED by the cost of our produce, which I have found to be high. We headed up to the Dover area and Produce Junction and we loaded up for 1/10 of the cost of what it would normally cost.

I am not a fan of the food in Cracker Barrel and our other go to has always been Crystals. I am sad to see Jimmies go.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:20 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
Yep, rdlr, we are simple people......we don't need expensive meals, a big house, hired help....nope. Husband was raised on southern cooking coming from a rural Sussex and Appalachian Tennessee family, and I was raised on comfort food and tasty treats by an Italian baker. Good, nicely seasoned, and hearty meals suit our needs. We do have some great seafood buffets nearby in OCMD, but wow--how the prices have gone up!

Cottage Cafe and Frankford Diner are our go to places when we want cheaper, filling meals under $30 for two people. However, we have to sit in the bar and get there before 6 to get the happy hour prices.

Nuts--I stock up on produce when we leave the area as well. Produce Junction is very good, but wow---fruits and veggies are much cheaper up in Amish areas in southern PA. Not as much chemically sprayed produce as well.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:26 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
I like Produce Junction very much, but tend to get carried away! Once, it was bananas, 10 lbs for $2.00 and I couldn't resist. Needless to say.........I looked like a bloated banana for awhile!

And in season, we buy from the Amish communities outside Dover. Like you said, Liz, no chemicals and very fresh produce, especially kale, broccoli and strawberries.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:18 AM

Thanks for sharing the information on good locations for fresh produce - I will definitely remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: