Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 06:23 PM

128 posts, read 347,509 times

Advertisements

Hi - sorry, if this is a dumb question (below). Of 3 houses we've owned, not one of them had/have an HOA, and we were/are surely on our own when it came/comes to anything to do with the lawn.

Now that we're in our mid-50's+ and seriously thinking about moving to Delaware, basically all of the houses and communities we've liked (have only looked online so far) have HOAs and do include many amenities, such as snow removal and lawn maintenance (etc.).

At least one listing said getting a backyard fence may be allowed by the HOA. So... If you have a backyard fence and the HOA covers lawn maintenance, do you let them in your backyard to mow and stuff, or do you forfeit that if you put up a fence in the back and you have to do that yourself?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 06:29 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Every HOA will have different rules (CC&R's) Covenants, Conditions and Restriction's and you would have to ask that question of each community.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Every HOA will have different rules (CC&R's) Covenants, Conditions and Restriction's and you would have to ask that question of each community.
True. What does yours say?

P.S. We want a fence because we have two furry family members...doggies (pomeranians)...lol.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Our's does not include mowing so we didn't have that problem. As I said, if you find a community that you are interested in you will have to ask that question. Now I will offer this to chew on. We lost our dog last year and had a lawn service. We always made it a practice to check the gate afar they finished just to be sure they locked it. My point is that even if the community will mow for you - you need to double check the gate. In some communities, you can't put up a fence at all. In fact, that is the case in many near me.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Our's does not include mowing so we didn't have that problem. As I said, if you find a community that you are interested in you will have to ask that question. Now I will offer this to chew on. We lost our dog last year and had a lawn service. We always made it a practice to check the gate afar they finished just to be sure they locked it. My point is that even if the community will mow for you - you need to double check the gate. In some communities, you can't put up a fence at all. In fact, that is the case in many near me.
Oh, no! Sorry about your dog. Yes -- for sure...we're ultra careful with ours, but you can never be too careful.

We'll definitely ask ahead about fences because it's literally a deal-breaker if we can't have a fenced-in back yard. And about the mowing part. Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 AM

6 posts, read 5,893 times
Are there any areas of DE that don’t have HOAs? I don’t want to live in one but every house I look at online has an HOA. Maybe DE has to be removed from my list of possible states to live in.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyInPA View Post
Are there any areas of DE that don’t have HOAs? I don’t want to live in one but every house I look at online has an HOA. Maybe DE has to be removed from my list of possible states to live in.
There are areas here that don't have them. I suggest you narrow your area down first and then get a realtor to help you. Just so you know. Some HOA's have very few rules and minor charges like maybe $60 per year, so don't rule a place out simply because it is an HOA. They all operate differently.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:12 PM

829 posts, read 628,671 times
I don't know if you're interested in a new home or a resale, but while they have HOA fees, I know of three that have relatively low HOA fees: Resales - Wagamons West Shores in Milton - ~$300/year and resales & new construction: The Estates at Reddenwood in Milton - $64/month - Schell Brothers, and Bay Pines in Lewes - Capstone Homes - $40/month. Due to the low HOA fees, you won't find a clubhouse or pool at these developments, as typically the more amenities, the higher your HOA fee.

You may have better luck in finding a home without an HOA by buying a single house that isn't in a development. Good luck finding what you're looking for!!

Old 02-25-2019, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 5,893 times
Thanks.

I don’t want a HOA because if I wanted rules and regulations I’d rent. I want a fenced in yard and to hire my own landscaper. I don’t care about a community pool or clubhouse, I want a hot tub in my yard. I don’t want to be told, sorry you can’t paint your house that color because it’s not an approved color. I don’t want to be told, sorry you can’t hang a flag. I don’t want to be told you can only have one dog, or not that breed. Jeez, it’s like living with your parents but instead of 2 you have 100. ☹️

Old 02-25-2019, 02:13 PM

213 posts, read 216,446 times
Reasonable rules benefit everyone. Even if you moved to the wilds of Alaska, there are rules , and Troopers there to enforce them. It is noted that some HOAs have very restrictive rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: