U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 AM

11 posts, read 24,285 times

Advertisements

New here. I've been reading the post for some time now and just wanted to say thanks to all the people that post. The information that I have received here has helped my wife and I make a very difficult decision. Moving from what we know in NJ to something completely new. Yes another New Jerseyian looking to get out.
Is Magnolia for us? We are in our late 30's with a 18 month old son and looking to have more children soon. We have learned that C.R. school district is good. We just would like to know how family oriented and safe Magnolia is. We've been there a few time and love the open feel of the town.We do not mind having to drive to get to the stores. We also have house searched in the neighborhoods off Irish Hill Rd and have seen some really nice ones. We are looking for the opportunity for my son to have friends around his age but for my wife and I we get along with just about anyone at any age. Any input will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 11:20 AM

7,324 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Magnolia is a little town with 4 corners, and that's it. The 19962 zip code encompasses many miles around Magnolia. As per Kent County's Comprehensive Building Plan, the Magnolia area is within the Kent County Growth Zone, so that area will be even more heavily developed, and many more subdivisions have been approved. The Dover Air Force Base Flight Path goes directly over the Town of Magnolia and surrounding area, which stretches north to Kits Hummock and Pickering Beach, and south to Frederica. Many people love the Magnolia area, and subdivisions/homes are attractive in that area, for the most part.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:41 PM

137 posts, read 281,868 times
Default Irish Hill Rd

Some of the subdivisions on Irish Hill Rd aren't in Magnolia. They would have a Felton 19943 ZIP code. I know that the Pinehurst sub on Irish Hill Rd has lots of families with young children, many of them military from the Air Force Base in Dover. It's a fairly new (just a couple years old) subdivision. Our son lives there with 3 little ones. The oldest is in Kindergarten and goes to school in Felton. So far son and d-i-l seem satisfied with the school.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
Some of the subdivisions on Irish Hill Rd aren't in Magnolia. They would have a Felton 19943 ZIP code. I know that the Pinehurst sub on Irish Hill Rd has lots of families with young children, many of them military from the Air Force Base in Dover. It's a fairly new (just a couple years old) subdivision. Our son lives there with 3 little ones. The oldest is in Kindergarten and goes to school in Felton. So far son and d-i-l seem satisfied with the school.
Exactly, Sanddollar!......the south-west side of Irish Hill Road, in fact. That's in the Lake Forest School District. We have school choice in Delaware, also, for anybody having specific preferences.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,546,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollar View Post
great..info..jonalyn

Old 04-10-2008, 01:03 PM

Thanks all for the info. I did not realize the town line for Magnolia and Felton. Good to know.
Delly---what do you mean by school choices? And does anyone know what month is the cut off for starting school in Delaware. My son b-day is October and he misses the cut off here, which means he would have to wait until the following year to start kindergarden. We have a few years to go for school but would like to know. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo0408 View Post
Thanks all for the info. I did not realize the town line for Magnolia and Felton. Good to know.
Delly---what do you mean by school choices? And does anyone know what month is the cut off for starting school in Delaware. My son b-day is October and he misses the cut off here, which means he would have to wait until the following year to start kindergarden. We have a few years to go for school but would like to know. Thanks.
School choice? If you live in the Caesar Rodney School District, and want your child to go to Lake Forest, that's o.k. You are responsible for transportation, though, and you will still pay Caesar Rodney School taxes, but not Lake Forest School taxes. I know lots of families that do that, or even transfer their kids in the middle of the year to another school district, if they are unhappy with their particular school. No one has ever told me there's a registration or other fee for this. I remember when I sold real estate many years ago, that was a great selling point. Don't like the school district, but love the house? No problem! Some neighborhoods car pull to the school of their choice.

As far as public kindergarten registration, that is usually in June/July. The sooner the better, though.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:41 PM

That is a great selling point. Thank You. As far as the kindergarden question let me try to be more clear. Here in NJ if a child turns,let say 5 years old up until September 30th 2008 they can be enrolled for the upcoming school year 08/09. Any child that turns 5 after October 1st,2008 has to wait until the following school year 09/10 to enroll. This may not be the case in Delaware...just curious.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo0408 View Post
That is a great selling point. Thank You. As far as the kindergarden question let me try to be more clear. Here in NJ if a child turns,let say 5 years old up until September 30th 2008 they can be enrolled for the upcoming school year 08/09. Any child that turns 5 after October 1st,2008 has to wait until the following school year 09/10 to enroll. This may not be the case in Delaware...just curious.
Oh, O.K. Tim........It's been awhile since I thought about registration for kindergarten! My grandchildren are even older than that!

Here's the link for Caesar Rodney School District. I think this is what you need. Hope this helps, and ask away, if you want more information.
Student Registration (http://www.cr.k12.de.us/StudentsAndFamily/StudentRegistration.html - broken link)

Here's another link for Caesar Rodney School District, Tim : Caesar Rodney School District

Old 04-10-2008, 06:43 PM

Thank you so much Delly. You are the world of information. Looking back at my posts it looks like I need to go back to kindergarten (T not d) to learn to spell. but we'll save that for another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware