U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:21 PM

243 posts, read 837,013 times

Advertisements

I've read that illegal drugs are a real problem. I've also read that they aren't really a problem. Which one is it? I just want to know the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:19 PM

14 posts, read 48,597 times
Movn2del,

Where exactly are looking to move to in Delaware? I have lived in Delaware for quite a few years and illegal drugs are not near as much of a problem as they were in Pennsylvania where I used to live. The presence of illegal drugs is not a major issue, you rarely hear about it, even in the news. I am not saying that it is nonexistent, but it is not something that you should be concerned about.

Hope this helps!

Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 04-16-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 90,377 times
Delaware's position on the I-95 corridor and it's relatively close proximity to Philadelphia does mean illegal drugs are easier to procure and sell on the black market than they would be in some other areas. Wilmington has been ranked as one of the worst cities in the county when it comes to heroin abuse, if I recall correctly. But, as with anywhere else, drugs are part of this world and if people want them, they will find a way to get them. I do, however, feel that a large percentage of crime in New Castle County (particularly Wilmington) is, in some way shape or form, tied to drug sales and/or consumption. This goes for a lot of bigger cities as well, but, in my opinion, it seems somewhat prevalent in Wilmington.

I would not let anything you hear about Delaware in regards to illicit drug use deter you from being interested in this state. There are always going to be people everywhere in the world doing drugs; it's a fact of life.

I honestly think this state has so many good aspects and qualities that to judge it on such a narrow subject would be a shame.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:56 AM

243 posts, read 837,013 times
Thank you Catrina and insurednotoriety for your input on this matter. I'm aware that drugs are available to those who really want to find them. I'm looking in Kent County. Currently, I live in a suburb of New York City. It seems over the last 5 years we have had a tremendous increase in our area. I'm trying to stay as far away from it as possible! I'm not letting anything deter my moving, just gathering information. Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 AM

693 posts, read 2,617,125 times
Try the Dover Post online. The police reports will give you a good idea where the problem areas are.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 AM

14 posts, read 48,597 times
You are very welcome! I would imagine that NYC would be much worse than here. You really do not here about it in the news or even via word of mouth often. The reason why I asked where is because there are probably areas in the city of Wilmington that would have a higher drug issue.

Kent County is a good place to live, if you are looking to scale back, it is more of a mellow, relaxed atmosphere. Here in Kent County, we also have something called Liveable Delaware which is a program that is intended to relate to "Smart Growth". Pretty much, they are trying to make sure that the growth does not get out of control and that there is a certain percentage of land per dwelling.

Have you been to Kent County? Depending on where you want to live, you can live in more of a rural setting (a bit more land and usually septic) or you can live closer to the towns, which is usually less land, however, you are closer to stores and schools and have central or city sewer and water which is nice.

Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 04-16-2008 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: to comply with the TOS

Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM

16 posts, read 47,717 times
I am a retired Dover Police officer and try to keep up with crime statistics associated with this lovely community and while there certainly is drug related crime it is very much contained by one of the best Police departments in the State.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 AM

693 posts, read 2,617,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remike2 View Post
I am a retired Dover Police officer and try to keep up with crime statistics associated with this lovely community and while there certainly is drug related crime it is very much contained by one of the best Police departments in the State.
Thank you for sharing this with us. It's good to know that we are in good hands. Every city has it's questionable areas and it's comforting to know that our police department is on top of things.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,990,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remike2 View Post
You are exactly the person to whom I'd like to address a question.

The "crime statistics" on City Data and in other places rate Smyrna a 7 out of 10 for crime. We cannot figure out how this can be. Is there anything you can do to help explain how Smyrna rates a 7? My contention has always been that the small size of the town skews the data - but that's just been a guess on my part. If you can shed some light, many of us would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.
Charley

Old 04-16-2008, 11:39 AM

16 posts, read 47,717 times
Charley,

Can you lead me to the City Data screen you are referring to? I am not sure
what the 7 out of a possible 10 translates to.

Thanks, Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware