Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 784 times

Advertisements

I have a current 8th grader and this Fall we will tour and apply to high schools. Our feeder HS is McKean.

My child is highly gifted in Math and Science and the goal is to establish a firm base for college studies. We are looking at a possible engineering major so undergrad might be at U of D before graduate school further afield.

So far we have been lucky with our schools and I have not felt the need to spend money on private school. Now that high school is rolling around the argument that many Delaware leaders attended private school is starting to make me think more about private school.

The question:

If you had the option to choose between a top public high school program at (Cab, DMA, Newark Charter, Charter of Wilmington, Conrad, Dickerson IB) or private (Tatnall, Tower Hill, St. Andrews, Friends, Archmere, Salesianum, Sanford) which would you choose? St. Andrews has been strongly recommended as a possible good fit due to their teaching methods so I am especially curious about about it since it is a boarding school.

Cab and Charter of Wilmington are listed as the top public high schools in the state. If we get into one of those is there still an argument for private school? In particular, St, Andrews?

All feedback and views are welcome. I know many of my friends are currently asking similar questions for their children so hopefully this thread will help others as well.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 01:05 PM

314 posts, read 554,624 times
The more appropriate question to ask if, "How difficult would it be for my child to be accepted into either Wilmington Charter Newark Charter, Cab or Conrad?"

Is your child currently in a position where he or she has the option to choose between the four?

Realistically, I would apply for all four with the hopes that your child gets accepted into one of them. Those are all top tier schools where admissions are competitive.

Regarding, the private schools, I'd probably go with the one that's the least expensive.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times
Private and it’s not even close, those kids get a head start on every public school student just in connections they make with friends and their parents. The respect those kids get from peers, colleges, and employers is crazy.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:25 PM

314 posts, read 554,624 times
Private is not even close if you are wealthy enough to where tuition cost is not an issue. Take Sanford for example. It costs $28k a year to send your child there for high school. That's more than what I paid over two years for a master's degree at UD.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:58 PM

194 posts, read 181,138 times
Save your money for college! CSW, Cab, Conrad are top notch not just in state but all 3 made the top 20 schools in the Greater Philly Metro area. They all contain top flight students who will push each other to excel.
Newark Charter also has top flight students, however if your feeder is McKean you most likely do not live within its 5 mile preference zone.

I will tell you most definitely have a private back up in mind if your students name is not pulled in the lottery for magnet or charter. Keep in mind, it is a LOTTERY!! While you have to have certain scores and recommendations to gain admittance to the lottery, after that it is all just luck of the draw! Last year alone 120 Red Clay students were put on the waitlist for CSW. Red Clay students have preference. Over 500 were on the waitlist beyond Red Clay students. Cab is by audition so must be talented in one of their arts programs. Conrad again comes down to a lottery draw after requirements were met.

I would take DMA off the list for any serious math and science students, they are doing away with AP’s there. They have had low passing rates now for years. They do their classes in a semester like college and for math especially I do not think this is helpful for students. Dickinson IB I personally would also take off the list. IB is a great program but not for a budding engineer.

Definitely tour all the schools with your student and see what they like best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: