Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 04:25 PM

82 posts, read 165,676 times

Advertisements

I Retired to Dagsboro DE in 2018, (out side of City limits) and at first you don't notice it. I guess your laulled in by the beaches, but the whole Sussex DE looks terrible. Theres litter/ trash everywhere, the main and the side roads/ streets. What a shame, all the Tax revenue the State of DE takes in from the beaches and the lower part of the State looks like crap. I complained to Del Dot and the message I received back was basically do it yourself. Anyway just wondered if anyone else has noticed. I will try to provide pictures in the future.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:41 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,639 times
In southern NJ they use prisoners to keep route 55 clean. They also cut grass near entrance/exit ramps. They all appear happy to be out in the fresh air..

Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 AM

They do have the prisoners now and then picking up litter, but I've never seen them on the back streets. But it's a continual job, litter needs picked up almost year round, not just now and then. But all the money DE makes from the Beaches and the State looks like crap. Not to mention the abandon homes you see or the homes that need a good Code Enforcement inspection. If your moving to DE (to save money, you will pay a price) and your leaving an area that is clean and has home owners that take pride in their property, then you in for a rude awakening.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:08 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Jim Man not sure where you currently are speaking about, possibly where you live or what you have done (other than to complain to Del Dot) to get the situation remedied. Look up your representatives and write to them and if you can include photos. That will get you action. I can tell you that I have the opposite impression in terms of how clean things are here.

IF I get back up on my soap box for a second, it is the old story:

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:09 PM

Nuts2uaim, I respect your reply and it makes sense. But I did contact my Rep, his email reply was, "I to am upset with the litter in Sussex De, but there are 2 individual holding up a plan to clean it up". But if you could just drive around and take a good look at things you may have a different opinion, thanks.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:39 PM

171 posts, read 109,386 times
jim,

I am near Dagsboro (new transplant also) and have no suggestions but if you copied that Reps reply in your last post verbatim please let us know who that is....

Old 11-08-2019, 06:44 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times
we finished our all-volunteer adopt-a-highway contract on Thursday.
and, of course, you might not be able to tell it, today.
but....we did something. try it because it might work.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:30 AM

jjdeadhead-- this is his reply--I will not give his name due to privacy act. "I agree with you totally about the trash problem and have created 2 different task forces to create strategies to deal with it. It is a very complicated issue, but we have a small but significant number of people who just don't seem to care about how the area they live in looks. I will continue to try and change hearts and minds".

Old 11-09-2019, 08:46 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdeadhead View Post
jim,

I am near Dagsboro (new transplant also) and have no suggestions but if you copied that Reps reply in your last post verbatim please let us know who that is....
I'd correct the errors and mail it back to the guy.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:47 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Slightly off topic and i am only mentioning it because the term "code enforcement" was brought up.

However, we have a ton of students that visit the area in the summer to work in a variety of jobs and our businesses need these students to open every day. The students work in hotels as housekeepers, laundry rooms, wait staff, life guards and in many retail's shops. There was a situation that I became aware of this summer and suffice to say as an American, I was embarrassed for my nation that someone would take advantage of a foreign student (or any person) like they did. I worked my way up through every office in Sussex County and what I was told was that "Kent County and New Castle County have code enforcement officers who make house visits when a report is turned in. However, Sussex County does not have any code enforcers." We tried every department including the Fire Marshal and the Dept. of Health and were told that very same thing repeatedly. The closest we were able to get was if it were a vermin or infectious Disease problem, then the Dept. of Health could send someone and the Fire Marshall said if it were a commercial building they could dispatch someone. We contacted one concerned party that worked in the State Dept of Justice who said, They could retire wealthy if they got a quarter for the complaints they get of this type. End of story.....we have codes just no enforcers.

I would suggest writing that rep again and say that you are sending a note to the newspaper editorial section for further comment. I am far from a rabble rouser, but sometimes that is your only avenue to effect change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware