U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:46 PM

44 posts, read 152,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I've been giving this a lot of thought since yesterday. When I come to Delaware, I'm buying a house. I'll pay a nice transfer tax to the Delaware economy and when I shop and entertain myself, I'll be supporting the business community as well. I'll re-register my cars and pay the tariff ... and once a year, I'll pay my taxes to Delaware even though we earned our money in New York. I think I might actually be a good thing for the state.

I'm not looking to change anything. I'm coming to Delaware because I like the state the way it is. I don't want to make it over as a second New York. If I liked it in New York, I'd stay in New York. I've chosen Delaware because it's the kind of place in which I want to live and I don't want to change it.

I am aware that enough transplants like me will cause new roads and intrastructure to be built, adding traffic and noise. I am also aware that there will be a percentage of people who come to Delaware who are not the nicest people in the world - but I'll bet there are a few there who've already been there for life who aren't all that nice to begin with.

I think that on the whole, my relocation to Delaware will be a positive thing for my wife and I and for whatever new friends we make, whether native or transplant. For those who might chose not to befriend me because I'm a newcomer, all I can say it they'll never know what they're missing.

Charley
Well said Charlie!
I feel exactly the same! My wife (movn2del) and I are sick of NY. We're looking to change our way of life, not having anyone else change theirs. I've met a few people in Kent county and I have to say, I was made to feel very welcome. All we want is a nice quiet place to live and a better environment to raise our 2 beautiful little girls. I think we've found it in Delaware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,551,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfmbh View Post
Well said Charlie!
I feel exactly the same! My wife (movn2del) and I are sick of NY. We're looking to change our way of life, not having anyone else change theirs. I've met a few people in Kent county and I have to say, I was made to feel very welcome. All we want is a nice quiet place to live and a better environment to raise our 2 beautiful little girls. I think we've found it in Delaware!
Most of the people in DE are nice. There are a few that talk badly about people moving to the state and how rude they are. but like charley said There are some that are already here that are pretty rude as well. Good and bad in all.

I would hope I would never make anyone feel less than welcome.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:07 PM

64 posts, read 118,907 times
Don't let contact anonymity fool ya, there are great peeps here. There are many people who hang out on forums like this behind fake screen name and trash everyone and everything in order to make themselves feel better. This can cause a bad representation of areas in and around here cause people see that and are put off.

Delaware is the kewlest really it is....

Old 04-28-2008, 04:08 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,551,020 times
Well put charley.
We just paid a hefty check to the state of De today for our taxes. that is money they would not have if he hadn't moved here. Not to mention when we registered the car...Wow..another hefty check.
[quote=CMTAD;3602469]I've been giving this a lot of thought since

I certainly dont' want this area to turn into another Philly. That is why we moved here. this area has a certain charm.

Oh I know moving to de was a positive thing for bill and I.

I

Old 04-28-2008, 04:24 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,977,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_from_DE View Post
Don't let contact anonymity fool ya, there are great peeps here. There are many people who hang out on forums like this behind fake screen name and trash everyone and everything in order to make themselves feel better. This can cause a bad representation of areas in and around here cause people see that and are put off.

Delaware is the kewlest really it is....
Hi Chase.

I've met a number of the people who post here in person and they are absolutely top notch! You should have seen us at lunch at "Where Pigs Fly" last month. It was like we'd all known each other for forty years!!

Charley

Old 04-28-2008, 04:37 PM

64 posts, read 118,907 times
no no im not saying the regular posters here, didn't mean to come off like that, you guys are A OK in my book, seem like a great group and i would like to come to a meet and greet in the future for sure.

I was just saying in general, there are troll everywhere online, don't let them paint a bad picture, specially if you frequent the New Journal forum, you will know what i mean....lol

This place is moderated quite nicely and in a situation like that, "the cream rises to the top"

Old 04-28-2008, 04:41 PM

7,332 posts, read 10,765,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Hi Chase.

I've met a number of the people who post here in person and they are absolutely top notch! You should have seen us at lunch at "Where Pigs Fly" last month. It was like we'd all known each other for forty years!!
Charley
Charley, I want you to know how much I enjoyed that lunch, also! You are one special person, and if I offended you in any way, regarding "newcomers" "driving habits" or other, I am truly sorry. I would never intentionally hurt you. We need more people like you! Do you have that Delaware license plate on your car yet? Are you drinking coffee out of your Delaware coffee cup? Wish you lived here now! Consider this regarding our lunch.....ME.....being the only local in attendance, being the oldest of the bunch at 67 years old, being a more than full time business owner and planning never to retire, I was taking a chance meeting a bunch of people, some for the second time, whom I have nothing in common with. Everybody was from 'somewhere' else, everybody was either retired or not working, and everybody was talking about their move to Delaware! I have been trying my best to be welcoming. My only complaint was my chicken had gristle in it!

Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Charley, I want you to know how much I enjoyed that lunch, also! You are one special person, and if I offended you in any way, regarding "newcomers" "driving habits" or other, I am truly sorry. I would never intentionally hurt you. We need more people like you! Do you have that Delaware license plate on your car yet? Are you drinking coffee out of your Delaware coffee cup? Wish you lived here now! Consider this regarding our lunch.....ME.....being the only local in attendance, being the oldest of the bunch at 67 years old, being a more than full time business owner and planning never to retire, I was taking a chance meeting a bunch of people, some for the second time, whom I have nothing in common with. Everybody was from 'somewhere' else, everybody was either retired or not working, and everybody was talking about their move to Delaware! I have been trying my best to be welcoming. My only complaint was my chicken had gristle in it!
In New York, we actually use front and rear license plates so there is no place for the Delaware plate. Therefore I have it in a very prominent place on the main shelf on my sports bar downstairs - right smack in the middle. You can't miss it!

The coffee mug is sitting right in front of me and has the Delaware state flag sitting in it, flying proudly on my desk. (Also in it are the little green coins. Don't ask me why ) It is too important a cup to be soiled with coffee!!

Trust me ... I wish I was there now also. I imagine what life will be like there almost every day. Not a day goes by where Marlene and I don't talk about Delaware in some context. Mentally we are sooooooo ready!!

Charley

P.S. And yes, I still have the recipe for musrat. I have no intention of either making it, or ordering it, or eating it ... but I am keeping the recipe.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:50 PM

7,332 posts, read 10,765,686 times
Quote:
no no im not saying the regular posters here, didn't mean to come off like that, you guys are A OK in my book, seem like a great group and i would like to come to a meet and greet in the future for sure.
Chase.....Charley's coming back the first of August....maybe we can work something out when he gets here and you can join in. A group of women go to lunch regularly in Kent County, but I (being a working girl) can't just tell my clients my deadlines will not be met. In addition, I attend professional meetings related to my business, almost every week, and that takes priority, unfortunately.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I was just saying in general, there are troll everywhere online, don't let them paint a bad picture, specially if you frequent the New Journal forum, you will know what i mean....lol

This place is moderated quite nicely and in a situation like that, "the cream rises to the top"
Oh we have a few who troll through occassionally, although that number does seem to have lessened over time. I think that as they see we really don't pay much attention to them, they sort of just wander out ... and that's OK with me.

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or