U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:20 AM

17 posts, read 53,727 times

Advertisements

Hi Mary - I continue to be impressed with all of you!! especially after I read one of the suggestions to go on to the "Talking Delaware" website - it's so exciting - INFORMATION!!!

So far the only things that I can't seem to find out are...

1. the commuting time from Smyrna or Kent County to Philadelphia by car
2. is it better to drive to Wilmington and take the train from there?
(I understand that by Amtrak it's about 15 minutes)
3. are there buses that commute from Wilmington to Philadelphia; and
4. is there an express bus from Kenty County or New Castle County to
Philadelphia.

Thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:23 PM

7,320 posts, read 10,748,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachlyn View Post
1. the commuting time from Smyrna or Kent County to Philadelphia by car
2. is it better to drive to Wilmington and take the train from there?
(I understand that by Amtrak it's about 15 minutes)
3. are there buses that commute from Wilmington to Philadelphia; and
4. is there an express bus from Kenty County or New Castle County to
Philadelphia.
Thanks in Advance!
Hi Rachlyn
1)From Dover (about 8-9 miles-maybe less- south of Smyrna) if I take Route 1 By-Pass, it will take me 2 hours to get to Philly. That's if I do the speed limit, go after 9 a.m. or before 6 a.m., and not lunch time or 4-5 p.m. when people are driving home from work. I go to Center City, Wills Eye Hospital, about once every couple of months, and you probably know, that's a block or so from Independence Hall
2)Sometimes, I drive to Wilmington and take the train from there to Philly, then subways to my destination. But, usually, I drive all the way to Philadelphia in my own car.
3)Wilmington has a bus station, but I can't remember if they changed the location or not. I remember it traveling from Wilmington to Philadelphia. Sorry I can't help you with that.
4)Yes. We have buses leaving Dover (not express ) which travel to Wilmington. I think you have to change buses to get to Philadelphia at that point, but again, I'm not sure.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I wanted to respond.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisMichelle View Post
All I'm saying is if someone takes the time to do research and give you a thorough response to your question(s)/concern(s), one should have the decency to reply or to say "thank you".
Hi IrisMichelle!
I would like to thank you for all the knowledge you are offering. I understand, and want you to know that you are appreciated. I know you are a wealth of information!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Hi Delly!

Thank you so much for the information! as I told Elizamary on another post, I think Answer/Option #2 would be the best bet for us because it seems to be the fastest commute and hassle-free... I currently commute to the city from Long Island which is about a 90 minute ride.. I can't take more than that! but it looks like the commute to Wilmington and then the train ride would fall right in that time frame (give or take - hopefully take!)...

Old 05-12-2008, 02:21 PM

376 posts, read 878,812 times
MapQuest will give you directions, mileage & communting times.

MapQuest: Maps, Directions, Gas Prices & Business Directory

Old 05-12-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachlyn View Post
Hi Delly!

Thank you so much for the information! as I told Elizamary on another post, I think Answer/Option #2 would be the best bet for us because it seems to be the fastest commute and hassle-free... I currently commute to the city from Long Island which is about a 90 minute ride.. I can't take more than that! but it looks like the commute to Wilmington and then the train ride would fall right in that time frame (give or take - hopefully take!)...
Great! Sounds like you've got it figured out!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 PM

243 posts, read 835,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
I'm glad this Forum has been helpful to you, Eileen. Clarification on Where Pigs Fly: At that luncheon, all 9-10 from the Forum attending were either newcomers to Delaware, or had not moved here yet, except me. WPF was their choice. I think they love it there, but locals I know are a little lukewarm about the place. But, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I lunched with my opinionated group of locals last week, and our first choice was Niko's, a family style Greek restaurant in Dover. Different strokes, huh? That's great you are being so thorough checking Delaware out. As you've read here, there are plus and minuses here, as is the case everywhere!
We also saw Where Pigs Fly when we were there. We didn't eat there. When we get to DE, we will have to try some of the local spots. As a matter of fact, we are looking forward to it!

Rachlyn, from another New Yorker, DE is wonderful. We will be moving over the summer. In contract and waiting for closing.

Last edited by movn2del; 05-12-2008 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 05-12-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movn2del View Post
We also saw Where Pigs Fly when we were there. We didn't eat there. When we get to DE, we will have to try some of the local spots. As a matter of fact, we are looking forward to it!

Rachlyn, from another New Yorker, DE is wonderful. We will be moving over the summer. In contract and waiting for closing.
You'll soon narrow down your favorites. PA (posts here) likes one that I haven't been to, called Family Restaurant, I think. It's right next to McDonalds on Rt. 13, but it's the McDonalds just north of Carroll's Corner (or State Street Extended). There are tons of nice little hideaways to eat, and you'll slowly discover them all!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 PM

243 posts, read 835,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
You'll soon narrow down your favorites. PA (posts here) likes one that I haven't been to, called Family Restaurant, I think. It's right next to McDonalds on Rt. 13, but it's the McDonalds just north of Carroll's Corner (or State Street Extended). There are tons of nice little hideaways to eat, and you'll slowly discover them all!
I posted that we ate at Family Restaurant. We only went there for breakfast. We thought it was a nice restaurant, decor, service and such. The food was good and the lunch and dinner menu looked like it could be good. Like home cooking. There is a picture I posted on the photo thread of the restaurant.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 AM

Hi Everyone!

CaroleM, thanks for the suggestion - I have to admit that I went to Mapquest first and got an idea of timing from Smyrna to... Everywhere! but I wanted to get information or shortcuts from people that have or are already doing the commute to see which option is best...

Delly, I'm getting there and I have to say that you Ladies have really reassured me/us that this is the RIGHT move!!! I'm trying to contain myself!

Movn2del, Congratulations! I hope all goes smoothly with the closing and the actual move! and we'll be right behind you - we're hoping to be there by the holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware