Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,654 times

Advertisements

Hey there Delawarians!

Im thinking of moving to Delaware this Fall. More specifically, the Millsboro area. Can you tell me - is it a safe area. I am reading all kinds of crazy things on the web. Indicating crime/drugs are high.

And what is this im hearing/reading about brown recluse spiders and black widow spiders? Copperhead snakes in basements.

On the flip side - how about restaurants, shopping, entertainment....

If you can shed some light and let me know if this move is a good one. I want to know all the gritty details from good to bad.

Thanks!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 12:51 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,886,598 times
Hi! I grew up in Oak Orchard, just east of Millsboro. I haven't lived out that way since 2001, but I'm still in the area often for shopping and dining.

Drugs and crime--yes, some spotty drug areas, mostly apartments/rentals right in town on the east side of 113. There are some random drug homes west of 113 as well, but not as many. There is a methadone clinic and some sort of halfway house behind the Dunkin' that attracts some sketchy people who you might see wandering around near the Dunkin' or walking up and down the highway. They typically just keep to themselves. The likelihood of somebody being the victim of a violent crime who is not involved in drugs is slim there, but it has occurred on a rare occasion. Theft would be my biggest concern, but just keep things locked up. I wouldn't let the rare chance of crime deter me from living there if I found a home I really liked near other homeowners (key word: homeowners). Now, Georgetown (up the highway) on the other hand.....not a place I'd choose to relocate.

Shopping and dining--great for it! BJ's, multiple grocery and drug stores. New Ashley furniture store, banks, all the fast food places you can dream of. It's not a fine dining area, but Frankford Diner down the highway is really good and so is Porto's. A Texas Roadhouse is coming soon which excites me. Their Dunkin' is pretty solid as well.

Yes, we have black widows and brown recluses, but I've been bitten by one once in my lifetime (brown recluse) and I'm still here to tell about it. I don't consider them to be an issue. Copperheads....seen one in my lifetime and I am literally outside every single day running/cycling, often times in the woods. They are pretty docile and not very aggressive. You'd literally have to step on one for it to bite. I've lived in DE all my life (45 years) and never had a snake in my home.

Entertainment---might head to the beach or Salisbury for that. I will warn you that route 113 is pretty congested during rush hours. Millsboro is really growing by leaps and bounds, and of course traffic comes with that. Hope this helps....

Old 06-17-2020, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 7,654 times
Thank you for all the information you provided! Would you recommend another area in lieu of Millsboro - that may be a contender? Any thoughts would be helpful. Fall will be here before you know it and I would really like to get a jump on things asap. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Old 06-17-2020, 09:39 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,886,598 times
You're welcome .
Definitely avoid Georgetown. There is Selbyville just south of there, it's pretty decent but I wouldn't want to live right in town--outskirts are better. If you want to be closer to the beach but not right in the middle of all the chaos, then check out Milton.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 13,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post

Shopping and dining--great for it! BJ's, multiple grocery and drug stores. New Ashley furniture store, banks, all the fast food places you can dream of. It's not a fine dining area, but Frankford Diner down the highway is really good and so is Porto's. A Texas Roadhouse is coming soon which excites me. Their Dunkin' is pretty solid as well.
Do people in Millsboro and Sussex Co. often remark that they wish there was a Kohl's or Target so you would not have to go to Dover or Salisbury?

Also, I am not familiar with the mall in Dover, but are trips up to Christiana common for people living in Southern Delaware?

(BTW I'm a longtime lurker on the Delaware forum, considering various locations for a relocation since my job covers Delaware)

Old 10-04-2020, 03:32 PM

13,034 posts, read 17,902,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen32 View Post
Do people in Millsboro and Sussex Co. often remark that they wish there was a Kohl's or Target so you would not have to go to Dover or Salisbury?

Also, I am not familiar with the mall in Dover, but are trips up to Christiana common for people living in Southern Delaware?

(BTW I'm a longtime lurker on the Delaware forum, considering various locations for a relocation since my job covers Delaware)
I think that answer depends upon a lot of factors that are unknown to us at this point. For example. Are you a shopper? How old are you? What is important to you? Is having the latest fashion trend important to you?

I live in Rehoboth and am retired. I could give a rats patootie about fashion or shopping and have enough clothing to survive and we do have the Tanger outlets here if you need something. In 8 years, I have gone to Christiana mall twice. Once to get my mac book and the second time to return an apple watch that I had received and did not want.

I did have a Kohl's where I came from and if it were here I would go there if I needed something, but I would not drive to Christiana for it.

So, you get what I am driving at, I am not saying that people don't drive there at all, it is more of a choice based upon what your individual needs are. If I answered yes, to the questions I asked you, I would not move to southern Delaware because in addition to being too far away from things I love to do, the 1.5 hours lost in the car from here would get very old fast.

I do miss Trader Joe's here, but, in the past if I had to meet a family member in Wilmington, I would always swing by and grab a few things. Or if we had company coming they would get a shopping list in advance of their visit and that took care of a lot of it.

I came from Long Island where you have everything you want in multiples within 10 minutes. My sister used to visit us and I would drive to say Dover to Produce Junction every now and again. She would think I was crazy because it was so far away. I always replied, it really isn't that far. She relocated here last year and recently we were talking about that very thing and she said, you know you really do get used to doing with what you have locally and you are right 40 minutes is not that far.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:51 PM

9,673 posts, read 14,140,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen32 View Post

Delaware is only 96 miles long! I'm not a mall shopper, so I would never drive to Christiana for that. But, in my business, I drive the entire length of Delaware almost every day, North to South, and East to West. No big deal for me. My home/office is in Kent County so I zip up Rt. 1 to north Wilmington, exit where I need to be, then head down to Rehoboth, Bethany, and Ocean view on Coastal Hwy. I know which times there's less traffic, but even in traffic, it's easier driving up and down Delaware than in the big cities/states. So, I have my choices of shopping anywhere in Delaware, but I still have everything I need right here in Dover.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:16 AM

Thank you nuts2uiam for your insights which is what I was looking for! I have vacationed at the Delaware beaches for several years and always wonder with all the retirees moving to the area, if they feel it's a trade-off to maybe not have their former favorite store or chain restaurant close-by - or at least an adjustment. It's nice that Millsboro has a BJ's, Ashley Furniture, and Chick-fil-a! I'm sure growth will continue, and I would not be relocating to DE for work until 2022 at the earliest anyway. Currently have Millsboro area on my radar as well as Pike Creek Valley, Middletown, and areas around Dover like Magnolia and Camden.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:22 AM

Thank you rdlr for your comments! Sounds like you put a lot of miles on your car, but you are right it is much easier to traverse Delaware than many states. I am more familiar with the beaches and the Wilmington area but hope to explore the Dover area more sometime next year. Friends of mine in Magnolia area really like the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware