U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 09:33 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,561,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
Hahahaha the one that kidnapped you?

yep that is the one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 PM

405 posts, read 1,251,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
yep that is the one
You got to especially watch out for the little girls, they are especially tricky.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,561,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
You got to especially watch out for the little girls, they are especially tricky.
Oh yes they are This one has both Pops and nana wrapped around her little finger.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:03 AM

902 posts, read 3,217,362 times
My gosh, I was up half the night having fun reading this thread! Its been a crazy week at our house, and I will spend all of Mother's Day catching up on the computer.

I think I posted early on in the thread... we don't have ANY pets right now (lease restriction). However, the boys and I just spent Saturday afternoon doing the volunteer orientation at Kent County SPCA! We are hoping to log a ton of hours this summer, as we signed up for helping in just about every area they need people. That way, our son with autism can get much more used to dogs, and perhaps we will be on the inside track when our time is right to adopt.

What adorable pictures everyone has posted! Thanks for sharing your kidz pics and stories! Can't wait to have some of our own to share, even if they are from the shelter!

As luck would have it, I picked up a lot of reading material while at the shelter. I would suggest searching the websites of the SPCA's... Kent County's site is being worked on the add links as quickly as the lady can get to it. Laural, since you are WAY up in Middletown, most of what I found may be a bit far.. but a lot of the resources are near Dover, so maybe not.

Tidbury Dog Park Association is having a Dog Day on May 17th; 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sounds like a big day and fun should be had for all! Also, the Kent County SPCA will be having a "No Flea" Market in a few weeks (I have to check their site for the date) to raise funds for flea prevention for the shelter; they just had a rabies clinic yeterday and kept the vet quite busy! Just a few things I can recall this morning.

For the newcomers, you should be able to easily find out the restrictions for the dogs at the beaches; when the boys and I went to the Polar Bear Plunge for Special Olympics that was held at Rehobeth in February, there were TONS of dogs on leashes! Back then, I did not take the time to check out animal restrictions, as I was too busy enticing MY animals (yep, the boys) out of the van to go support the silly people jumping into the ocean!

While it does seem that DE is quite dog friendly, it also seems the animal shelters are being very aggressive in seeking out and clamping down on the bad guys too. That is encouraging to me, as animal abusers get away with too much in my opinion! I won't go further on that negative train of thought, since it IS Mother's Day!

And Laural (I think it was your post), you are so right about multiple dogs are easier to take care of than one kid... we too may get our kennel license when we do buy a house in preparation of the kids flying the coop! Our strategy is a good one... get the boys to help with all the setup, which will take a few years, then once we start fostering the animals from the shelter, the boys should be finished with the work and want to move away from home! Think that will work?????

Mary

Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 PM

243 posts, read 836,668 times
Be careful Marych. Everybody that gets animals and has kids thinks the kids will help. All that leads to is disappointment when the kids don't help, or help less than expected. Our kids were supposed to help with the first dog, then the second dog. If we are lucky, they may fill an empty water bowl on occasion, when asked or told to do so.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:09 PM

7,357 posts, read 10,794,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movn2del View Post
Be careful Marych. Everybody that gets animals and has kids thinks the kids will help. All that leads to is disappointment when the kids don't help, or help less than expected. Our kids were supposed to help with the first dog, then the second dog. If we are lucky, they may fill an empty water bowl on occasion, when asked or told to do so.
Dogs are a breeze, in my opinion! We had a 160 acre farm and bought our kids pets........ horses, turtles (one of the horses ate one of the turtles) , ducks, geese, chickens, calves to show at the State Fair, pigs to show at the State Fair, chicks, rabbits, and goats. When each kid turned 16 and received their driver's license, the hubby and I were stuck with all of the "pets" which included mucking out the stalls, and keeping their sheds clean.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 PM

902 posts, read 3,217,362 times
Oh yeah! Our first "kids" were our golden retrievers! I'm a gluton for punishment... suppose it comes from my farm roots, right Delly? Although a goat would be good... may have to think about that one! When we first moved to NC, 15 years ago, our dogs thought they were goats, as the neighbor had a pair of pygmy goats. They were all a riot when they got together to play!

Mary

Old 05-13-2008, 12:30 AM

7,357 posts, read 10,794,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Oh yeah! Our first "kids" were our golden retrievers! I'm a gluton for punishment... suppose it comes from my farm roots, right Delly? Although a goat would be good... may have to think about that one! When we first moved to NC, 15 years ago, our dogs thought they were goats, as the neighbor had a pair of pygmy goats. They were all a riot when they got together to play!
Mary
Only in Mary's Life! Wish you had photos of that scene! Did the dogs climb up on little houses with the goats?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 AM

243 posts, read 836,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Dogs are a breeze, in my opinion! We had a 160 acre farm and bought our kids pets........ horses, turtles (one of the horses ate one of the turtles) , ducks, geese, chickens, calves to show at the State Fair, pigs to show at the State Fair, chicks, rabbits, and goats. When each kid turned 16 and received their driver's license, the hubby and I were stuck with all of the "pets" which included mucking out the stalls, and keeping their sheds clean.
Sounds like a lot of fun. Hubby spoke with kids about getting a horse, when we first started talking about moving. One of our children said we couldn't because the dogs would get mad at us. Hubby talked about getting a pot bellied pig at one time. I love the dogs but told hubby that if we got another animal, he could move into the garage with all of them.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 AM

405 posts, read 1,251,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movn2del View Post
Hubby talked about getting a pot bellied pig at one time.
I thought about getting a pot bellied pig too, but after some research you don't know how big they will get, some get huge! But pigs are extremely intelligent. I would love one if I knew it was gonna stay small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware