U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:44 AM

902 posts, read 3,214,624 times

Advertisements

I love WBOC... darn it, I missed the noon broadcast! And I too hope they've got it wrong.. camping at Killens Pond with 3,000 boy scouts in the RAIN is not my idea of fun for this Saturday night! Better dig out the rain gear, along with the tents, etc. Hoorah!

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 12:33 PM

243 posts, read 835,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Thanks Delly for posting this info! We would love to go, as we are trying to soak up DE history as fast as we can. Sadly, we won't be able to get to much of this, as we will be camping with the Boy Scouts!

Movn2del, perhaps we'll be there together next year!

Mary
Perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
It is a really beautiful event, but I'm a little concerned about the weather forecast for the weekend. I'll be working there with some friends. Our daughter danced the May Pole dance, also, with Marion Tracy Dance Studio, many years ago. There's more to do in Dover and Kent County than people think, I've found. I've also worked at the Agriculture Museum, and that was interesting........especially meeting all the newcomers who've never seen a tractor or combine close up!
That would be me. hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
I love WBOC... darn it, I missed the noon broadcast! And I too hope they've got it wrong.. camping at Killens Pond with 3,000 boy scouts in the RAIN is not my idea of fun for this Saturday night! Better dig out the rain gear, along with the tents, etc. Hoorah!

Mary
Let's all pray for good weather. It just might work. Maybe the rain will hold off till Sunday night when all is done.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 PM

16 posts, read 47,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Oh, gee! You've noticed that too, huh? How about the 'big guy' with the wide mouth? We had 'the dish' once, for a very short time, and couldn't get WBOC. We had to switch back to cable, just for that station. The entertainment value is priceless! Bless his heart, Scorchy Tawes died, but that also was a trip back in time.
I don't know anyone who didn't love Scorchy, for you non southern Delawareans thats pronounced ScAArchy.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 PM

902 posts, read 3,214,624 times
Hey Delly,

Thanks for the reminder to go visit the Agriculture Museum... been meaning to do that since we moved here! Bet it was interesting... all the wonder on those city-folks faces at their first close up to a tractor, combine, plow, etc.

A few weeks ago, the boys and I ventured down to the John Deere dealer in Harrington; looks like they have some interesting museum out back of the show room/repair shop. Would have loved walking through there, but it was pouring rain that day.

What I have seen advertised about Old Dover Days takes me back to my hometown in Ohio... quite old little town it is. The summer I was 9, the town celebrated its sesquicentennial (sp?)... 150 years, I do believe. My how time flies... coming up on 200 in about 10 years! We must put that on our family calendar!

You should have seen my city hubby's face the first time he met a cow... and our dog barked at the poop on the ground! And then, a few years later, I thought he was going to have a coronary when I "introduced" our oldest child to a mama pig (sow)! Thought we were headed for divorce court over that one! I tried to tell him, the babies were suckling, so mama was sleepin'! As long as our son didn't disturb the piglets, the mama would just snore/root away! THAT was worth a batch of gray hair on his (hubby's) head!

Mary

Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 PM

7,332 posts, read 10,765,686 times
Dover Days kickoff was wonderful today, and the Lantern Tour is this evening! I've attended the walking tour in the past, which is around The Green area and historic buildings. The stories about mansions, public buildings, murders, hangings, ghosts, and other, gave me a whole new perspective regarding Historic Dover.

Tomorrow the parade starts at 9:30 a.m.. The City is braced for visitors, locals, young and old, and a weekend of fun. Saturday might be a good day to get off the computer, and experience this beautiful 75th anniversary event!
Here are some photos from last year, which are on the City of Dover public web site. City of Dover - Dover Guide - Photos from around Dover - Old Dover Days (http://www.cityofdover.com/information/gallery/olddoverdays - broken link)

Old 05-03-2008, 06:35 AM

7,332 posts, read 10,765,686 times
I'm off to the Dover Days festivities, taking an umbrella, and looking forward to meeting and talking with tons of new people!
Spice is the variety of life! Pick flowers by the wayside and Relish each day as if it's your last!

Old 05-03-2008, 07:05 PM

243 posts, read 835,969 times
I hope you had good weather for Old Dover Days. I'm sorry I'm not in Delaware yet. Next year for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware