Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,000,613 times

Advertisements

Laural, A crab net looks sorta like a butterfly net on steroids. It has deeper more solid netting and a longer handle.

Crabbing with a hand line is very simple. Clamp or tie some half rotted meat (now you know what crabs find yummy....still wanna eat 'em?!!??? ) on the end of a sturdy cord. Lower it into the murky water. When you feel some tugs, the crab is nibblin' on the bait. Since they are greedy little critters, they hang on until you can raise them enough to scoop them into your net. Then you dump it into a bushel basket with a lid. The operative words there....."with a lid".

There is a legal size limit. It used to be four inches across the shell from point to point. I think only males are to be harvested, but that's just from memory. I sexed crabs by looking at their undersides. The lines in the shells are different for each gender.

I never set pots. We'll, havta wait for that info so we both can learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 AM

9,717 posts, read 14,252,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Laural, A crab net looks sorta like a butterfly net on steroids. It has deeper more solid netting and a longer handle.
Crabbing with a hand line is very simple. Clamp or tie some half rotted meat (now you know what crabs find yummy....still wanna eat 'em?!!??? ) on the end of a sturdy cord. Lower it into the murky water. When you feel some tugs, the crab is nibblin' on the bait. Since they are greedy little critters, they hang on until you can raise them enough to scoop them into your net. Then you dump it into a bushel basket with a lid. The operative words there....."with a lid".There is a legal size limit. It used to be four inches across the shell from point to point. I think only males are to be harvested, but that's just from memory. I sexed crabs by looking at their undersides. The lines in the shells are different for each gender. I never set pots. We'll, havta wait for that info so we both can learn.
Well said, rockky! We have a friend living on Indian River and stay down there sometimes. They have a long dock extending out into the water. In the evenings, we tie turkey or chicken necks to a couple dozen crab pots (Laural....they are called that, but look like cages) tie heavy gauge rope on each pot, lower them into the water, and check them about 10 a.m. the next morning. Sort them (release little ones and females) and have steamed crabs for lunch.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 PM

16 posts, read 55,001 times
Quote:

Crabbing with a hand line is very simple. Clamp or tie some half rotted meat (now you know what crabs find yummy....still wanna eat 'em?!!??? ) on the end of a sturdy cord. Lower it into the murky water. When you feel some tugs, the crab is nibblin' on the bait. Since they are greedy little critters, they hang on until you can raise them enough to scoop them into your net. Then you dump it into a bushel basket with a lid. The operative words there....."with a lid".

There is a legal size limit. It used to be four inches across the shell from point to point. I think only males are to be harvested, but that's just from memory. I sexed crabs by looking at their undersides. The lines in the shells are different for each gender.

I never set pots. We'll, havta wait for that info so we both can learn.
Excellent instructions, but be sure to pull the line up S L O W L Y.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM

392 posts, read 990,416 times
I was taught very early to throw back the females.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 PM

51 posts, read 174,391 times
anyone that puts onions in crabcakes should be shot!

oops sorry I am old school here

Last edited by eastcoastblunder; 04-30-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 02:28 PM

51 posts, read 174,391 times
10 crab lines ten foot long
10 half to one ounce sinkers
10 chicken necks or 5 turkey necks halved

Tie the weight on the string end. They tie the bait to that end. Tie the other end to the dock or something that is secure. Watch for the lines to start going out and get tight. This is the crab trying to steal the bait away. Take the string and gently pull the string in. You want to have your net down in the water so when the bait reaches towards the top and you see the crab you can swoop up from under it and catch it in the net. Immediately return undersized crabs to the water. You may not save them to toss them out all at one time later. Store the crabs in a cooler with ice or a basket with lid that is secured and out of the sun with a wet cloth over the crabs for shade. The recipe you got earlier was for boiled crabs. You can also steam them. I prefer them steamed but to each his own.

You don't want to cook dead crabs because they rot inside fast and they just get mushy anyway.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 PM

64 posts, read 141,287 times
good advice east coast, steamed is better to me as well.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:59 PM

9,717 posts, read 14,252,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastblunder View Post
10 crab lines ten foot long
10 half to one ounce sinkers
10 chicken necks or 5 turkey necks halved
Looks like we have an expert, here! Thank you eastcoastblunder (not a blunder in my book)

Old 04-30-2008, 07:13 PM

81 posts, read 492,091 times
Quote:
dumpling, I have memories of crabbing in IR bay before the big storm of '62. (Of course I recall being an infant. ) There was a small marina near the inlet. It had a rickety old dock that went out. We sat on there and pulled in soooo many crabs. The storm took it all away.

Another time we took a boat out. The tide was going out, and we were not strong enough to row against it. So we got out and pushed the boat back to the marina. Yep. Sloppy bottom! We probably could have clammed with our toes, but our interest in sea food was trying to not be sea food at that point. Ha!

We were only there for a week each summer at that time. Still, it's a large part of my childhood memories. Back when you could actually drive to Rehoboth and find a parking space in season! It was a big deal sending post cards from the little post office that was in Bill's store in Bethany. Whoops...sorry for the drift.

....misty water colored memories....of the way things were.
I remember as a kid my family would go clamming at Holt's Landing. My brothers would clam with their feet.

Parking in Rehoboth...yup, those were the good old days

Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,000,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsdumpling View Post
I remember as a kid my family would go clamming at Holt's Landing. My brothers would clam with their feet.

Parking in Rehoboth...yup, those were the good old days
Doesn't everyone clam with their feet?? Wear old socks and feel them out with your toes....right?

The last time I was at Holt's Landing there were so many horseshoe crabs it looked like a war zone. I think they are protected now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware