U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 PM

81 posts, read 467,496 times

Advertisements

My husband has only lived here for 1 1/2 years. I've been visiting places that I haven't been in a while just to show him around. We went to Holts during the winter, not much going on except a few birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:40 PM

5,430 posts, read 10,493,536 times
Thanks for the recipes HoneyCrisp/ A little secret guys I live 50 miles north of you and we pulled in my friends commercial pot before and we had 15 keeper crabs in it. A keeper in NJ is 4 1/2 inches from point to point on the top shell. We used mosbunker fish or manhadden is the scientific name. The bay water is 55 degrees. If they are out in Jersey they must be out in Delaware. Get the traps and droplines and as we say fish em up. Enjoy it's a great fun pastime to enjoy as adults and especially children. Good luck-Jersey Man.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:48 AM

51 posts, read 157,488 times
When I was a kid we would go up to the old Ferry Dock's in Claiborne, MD. There was a lot of shoal water around there with cabbage grass. We'd just walk through the grass and watch for crabs to run. No bait. Just a net and a basket in an inner tube. That was about 43 years ago so I told my age there. My entire family would go and we'd bring home a couple bushels of large crabs plus get some "doublers".

The best crabbing is in the morning before the sun gets overhead and again in the evening after it's started to go down and cooled some. You are nearly wasting your time in the afternoon unless you are out on the water in deeper water.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:18 AM

7,332 posts, read 10,763,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Doesn't everyone clam with their feet?? Wear old socks and feel them out with your toes....right?
The last time I was at Holt's Landing there were so many horseshoe crabs it looked like a war zone. I think they are protected now.
dumpling..........Yeah, anyway at all, to get fresh seafood! My dad went out near Woodland Beach, Smyrna to find snapper turtles for soup. He just trudged around in the muddy waters with his net, tall rubber boots and big gloves.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:59 AM

376 posts, read 879,304 times
Excellent crabbing instructions here. I agree on the onions.....No No No Onions in crab cakes.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:48 AM

7,332 posts, read 10,763,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleM View Post
Excellent crabbing instructions here. I agree on the onions.....No No No Onions in crab cakes.
Maybe in Paula's or Rachael Ray's kitchen. But, I agree "innovative" is OUT, when it comes to crab cakes!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:14 AM

1,646 posts, read 4,463,252 times
I've been told that some of those really big, nice looking, restaurant cakes have baking soda or baking powder in them. It's easy to be fooled.

Yep, lots of backfin (I guess lump is too expensive), no filler, small amount of binder, and a hint of spice. That's it!!!

When you're hooked, take out a second mortgage on your house to feed the habit.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 AM

4,129 posts, read 13,275,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Thanks for the recipes HoneyCrisp/ A little secret guys I live 50 miles north of you and we pulled in my friends commercial pot before and we had 15 keeper crabs in it. A keeper in NJ is 4 1/2 inches from point to point on the top shell. We used mosbunker fish or manhadden is the scientific name. The bay water is 55 degrees. If they are out in Jersey they must be out in Delaware. Get the traps and droplines and as we say fish em up. Enjoy it's a great fun pastime to enjoy as adults and especially children. Good luck-Jersey Man.
Thanks, Jersey Man. I'm a ways more north than you so any crabbing here will have to wait (in fact, pretty darn cold here today, just got back from walking my dogs and it's definitely jacket weather, brrr!). Soon will be heading to the Outer Banks for a few days and will definitely keep your pointers and tips (as well as everyone else's) in mind. Gotta agree w you, everyone crabbing sure seems to enjoy it, that seems to be half the fun (besides eating them!). THx and take care -

Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM

1,646 posts, read 4,463,252 times
I went snoopin' on line for some crab cake recipes. I read this discussion and thought it was interesting.

I love the historical angle.

Filler-minimal crabcake recipe? - Home Cooking - Chowhound

Old 05-01-2008, 10:07 AM

51 posts, read 157,488 times
This is how I make mine. Sometimes I use the dry mustard and then some times I use the wet mustard when I'm in the mood for that taste. Some people want the crab cake to be white inside and don't use much spice. I've put my spice at medium here and if you like them with more zip then add another tsp. of old bay.
1 LB lump crab (rinsed if pasteurized)
2-3 slices of good bread crust removed and in tiny pieces.
1/2 cup Mayo
1 egg beaten
1 tsp. dry mustard or for Baltimore style use 2 TBS. Prepared mustard.
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (if you use too much it turns them gray)
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes or 1 TBS. fresh parsley chopped
few grinds of cracked pepper
1 heaping tsp. old bay seasoning (not crab spice because that has too much salt)

Make sure the crab doesn't have shell. (gently don't break up the lumps)
Mix seasonings and wet ingredients. Pour mix over crab meat and very gently combine. Gently add the bread crumbs. Let it sit a few minutes and then patty up.
This makes 4 big or 6 medium crab cakes. Pan fry in vegetable oil for a few minutes on each side or broil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware