Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 AM

271 posts, read 995,575 times

Advertisements

Charley, your approach to research was brilliant. We are very scattered in our approach, I'm afraid. One week we're thinking that we need to visit, or re-visit, areas where family live; next week, we're thinking we don't need to be living right next to family--just within easier reach; and since my husband's recent and thorough analysis of taxes in various states being considered, we're even thinking that we'd better stay put in the Dover area. I think we'll start researching the 55+ communities situation in several other states.

Delly, looks like somebody at NP is acquainted with someone on the Dover Days planning committee! Good idea, and I concur re being "held hostage." Unfortunately though, this weekend is already too busy. I knew next to nothing about modulars and the contrast with manufactured, so thank you!
You share a tremendous amount of information with this forum, I've noticed. We have family in other states who have bought homes in neighborhoods, not 55+ communities, where, for an annual fee, lawn mowing, basic landscaping, and snow removal is provided. Do you know if this sort of thing exists in Delaware?

Thanks to you both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
Delly, looks like somebody at NP is acquainted with someone on the Dover Days planning committee! Good idea, and I concur re being "held hostage." Unfortunately though, this weekend is already too busy. I knew next to nothing about modulars and the contrast with manufactured, so thank you!
You share a tremendous amount of information with this forum, I've noticed. We have family in other states who have bought homes in neighborhoods, not 55+ communities, where, for an annual fee, lawn mowing, basic landscaping, and snow removal is provided. Do you know if this sort of thing exists in Delaware?Thanks to you both!
Thank you, Annie. Yes, most 55+ communities will take care of the exterior amenities of properties. Charley is the expert here, and he can elaborate on that, i.e. Homeowners Assoc. Fee, etc. Some 55+ communities are leasehold (rent the land) and some are held in fee simple interest (own the land), as you know. I would think that would narrow down your choices from the beginning. Noble's Pond houses are on rented land. Then narrow down your choice of construction, i.e. modular or manufactured. And of course, location is always an issue. Thankfully, school districts don't matter to 55+ people. Whatever your choice, I know you are astute enough to have your attorney review any documents regarding land leases. There's no substitute for peace of mind.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
Charley, your approach to research was brilliant.

Delly, looks like somebody at NP is acquainted with someone on the Dover Days planning committee!

Thanks to you both!
Thanks.

Nobles Pond is running an Open House this weekend and as part of the program, they are busing interested individuals to the Dover Days celebration. They sent out the details to their mailing list. Here is a copy of what they sent:

http://www.noblespondhomes.com/postcard.pdf

Just a note: I am not affiliated with, related to, or deriving any benefits by talking about what I know about Nobles Pond. (Just in case anyone who doesn't know me sees all the conversation and gets the wrong idea.)

Charley

Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Thank you, Annie. Yes, most 55+ communities will take care of the exterior amenities of properties. Charley is the expert here, and he can elaborate on that, i.e. Homeowners Assoc. Fee, etc. Some 55+ communities are leasehold (rent the land) and some are held in fee simple interest (own the land), as you know. I would think that would narrow down your choices from the beginning. Noble's Pond houses are on rented land. Then narrow down your choice of construction, i.e. modular or manufactured. And of course, location is always an issue. Thankfully, school districts don't matter to 55+ people. Whatever your choice, I know you are astute enough to have your attorney review any documents regarding land leases. There's no substitute for peace of mind.
Delly, I've probably given the impression that we've been interested in 55+ communities for some time but, in fact, we barely even knew they existed until our friends raved about Nobles Pond quite recently. Even now, we think we're more likely to move to a traditional house, though smaller than this one, and neighborhood. We do now plan to include 55+'s in our explorations, but I'm trying to find out if the housing situation two of our relatives have bought into in the past few years exists here. They're traditional stick-built houses, no age requirements, no clubhouses, but you pay a fee for lawn, landscaping, and snow removal. I know that it's always possible to hire people to do these things, but I think this is a better idea.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Thanks.

Nobles Pond is running an Open House this weekend and as part of the program, they are busing interested individuals to the Dover Days celebration. They sent out the details to their mailing list. Here is a copy of what they sent:

http://www.noblespondhomes.com/postcard.pdf

Just a note: I am not affiliated with, related to, or deriving any benefits by talking about what I know about Nobles Pond. (Just in case anyone who doesn't know me sees all the conversation and gets the wrong idea.)

Charley
Charley, I think this is very enterprising of Nobles Pond, and both a convenience and gas-saver for those who may be interested. (I couldn't get anywhere, for whatever reason, when I clicked the link.)

Old 05-01-2008, 01:02 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
Charley, I think this is very enterprising of Nobles Pond, and both a convenience and gas-saver for those who may be interested. (I couldn't get anywhere, for whatever reason, when I clicked the link.)
You need Adobe in order to read from that link. You go go to the Nobles Pond website, and click on the link. Perhaps it would open better from the website than from my message, assuming of course that you have Adobe.

Charley

Old 05-01-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
but I'm trying to find out if the housing situation two of our relatives have bought into in the past few years exists here. They're traditional stick-built houses, no age requirements, no clubhouses, but you pay a fee for lawn, landscaping, and snow removal. I know that it's always possible to hire people to do these things, but I think this is a better idea.
There are many of those communities around here, Annie. Most subdivisions are Planned Unit Developments (PUD) and you pay a Homeowners Association Fee, which can range between $25 to $450/year. In these communities, the county requires that there be some Open Space set aside from the residential building area, and a storm drainage facility. Then, there's the entrance, counted as open space, and a sign or brick/stone wall identifying the subdivision.The H.O.A. fee upkeeps the open space. Sometimes there's a clubhouse, sometimes not. And usually snow removal is part of that yearly H.O.A. fee. Landscaping/grass cutting must be done by a private company, unless you are in a Condo community. Many in these communities use the same company, and they do the whole community in one day. But the yearly fee pays for all those other things. I'll have to stretch my memory, but I believe there is one new community near Camden where they take care of the landscaping and grass cutting, also, for that fee. So, all of these exterior amenities are not just found in 55+ communities. The 55+ communities appear to be attractive to people who may want to be with people their own age, with organized activities, or a clubhouse for recreation. But communities, other than 55+, offer many of the same conveniences. Sorry to ramble on, so, but I tend to do that. I believe this is what you are referring to, but let me know if I've gone off the track here!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:51 PM

55 posts, read 182,165 times
Default nevada49

I was in Delaware a couple of weeks ago looking at retirement places. 55+ is the way to go, in my opinion; I am not interested in any other kind of place. I looked at Nobles Pond and there is no sales pressure at all - they give you a paper with descriptions of the houses in the model village and you tour them yourself. They even gave me a cold drink (soda) as it was very warm the day I was there. I liked Nobles Pond and the clubhouse is great. I am abougt 2 or 3 years away from buying and moving and I am sure it will be very nice by then, with the pool in and so on. I really liked Barclay Farms in Camden, DE. which is down to the last few houses for sale; it is a nice-sized complex of about 200 houses with a pool, spa, exercise room, etc., about 1-1/2 miles from Route 13 and all the shopping, restaurants, and maybe 3 miles from Dover Downs (horse racing and slots). For anyone looking for fun shopping in that area, try Ollie's Bargain Outlet on Route 13 in either Dover or Camden (right side of route 13 when heading south). A closeout store with great prices and a nice mix of merchandise and sales tax free of course. Happy house hunting to all! I also looked at Southern Meadows in Magnolia and it was very nice as well, quiet with friendly residents. I could happily live at any of these places.

Eileen in CT

Old 05-02-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Delly, I've probably given the impression that we've been interested in 55+ communities for some time but, in fact, we barely even knew they existed until our friends raved about Nobles Pond quite recently. Even now, we think we're more likely to move to a traditional house, though smaller than this one, and neighborhood. We do now plan to include 55+'s in our explorations, but I'm trying to find out if the housing situation two of our relatives have bought into in the past few years exists here. They're traditional stick-built houses, no age requirements, no clubhouses, but you pay a fee for lawn, landscaping, and snow removal. I know that it's always possible to hire people to do these things, but I think this is a better idea.
Annie.....Investigate Longacre Village, south of Camden on U.S.Route 13, for the same amenities Noble's Pond offers (including lawn care) but you own your land. It is a 55+ community, and I know you specifically are not looking for that, but it might be worth looking in to.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:16 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada49 View Post
I was in Delaware a couple of weeks ago looking at retirement places. 55+ is the way to go, in my opinion; I am not interested in any other kind of place. I looked at Nobles Pond and there is no sales pressure at all - they give you a paper with descriptions of the houses in the model village and you tour them yourself. They even gave me a cold drink (soda) as it was very warm the day I was there. I liked Nobles Pond and the clubhouse is great. I am abougt 2 or 3 years away from buying and moving and I am sure it will be very nice by then, with the pool in and so on. I really liked Barclay Farms in Camden, DE. which is down to the last few houses for sale; it is a nice-sized complex of about 200 houses with a pool, spa, exercise room, etc., about 1-1/2 miles from Route 13 and all the shopping, restaurants, and maybe 3 miles from Dover Downs (horse racing and slots). For anyone looking for fun shopping in that area, try Ollie's Bargain Outlet on Route 13 in either Dover or Camden (right side of route 13 when heading south). A closeout store with great prices and a nice mix of merchandise and sales tax free of course. Happy house hunting to all! I also looked at Southern Meadows in Magnolia and it was very nice as well, quiet with friendly residents. I could happily live at any of these places.

Eileen in CT
Hi EIleen............Again, sorry I missed your visit.
there are many folks that fall in love with Nobles pond. Bill and I were going to drive up just for curiosity sake.
There are a few posters that have Nobles on their mind for their big move.
From you posts, I see you really hit it off with Camden. It is a nice area and I have always that too. We do most of our shopping in the Wal mart. One stop shopping cuz they have everything.
Glad you had a successful trip. Take care..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware