Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 AM

271 posts, read 995,575 times

Advertisements

I'm welcoming myself back to my thread with thanks to all of you who have made such valuable, insightful, and often amusing contributions! I'm afraid I'm way behind on reading at the forum, as usual.

I think Charley and Delly and others have, here or there, alluded to what I have come to think is probably the most important reason to choose a 55+ community. I have known of a number of our friends to leave towns where they've spent many years, including Dover--but many others in various states--with visions of settling in and being part of a welcoming community. The reality for too many of them who've moved into a traditional neighborhood, or in some cases houses on a bit of acreage outside of town, has been that they find the community rather closed to them. A couple of our friends have said that they finally found enough friends, but that it took them several years. Some have said that they are still pretty much on their own after five or more years. They have invited people over, seemed to be welcomed, but things didn't, ultimately, work out. A number of variations on this story.

When you become part of a 55+ community, you are likely to have people who've done the same thing you have and are more than happy to find out "who" you are and to welcome you. I think Elizamary has described how it has worked out this way for her, and how she welcomes newcomers.

As Delly says, I think it's primarily out-of-staters who move into local 55+ communities. All, or most of them, newcomers to Delaware and all, or most, eager to welcome and be welcomed.

Charley, if you've read this far , a question for you. Does Noble's Pond have all 800 lots marked at this point? Could someone now choose a plot well back from the road? (Sorry if you've answered this elsewhere.) I'm not asking for us, though with a couple years ahead of us before we move, who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
Charley, if you've read this far , a question for you. Does Noble's Pond have all 800 lots marked at this point? Could someone now choose a plot well back from the road? (Sorry if you've answered this elsewhere.) I'm not asking for us, though with a couple years ahead of us before we move, who knows?
You described the issue of making new friends very well. Having moved into a traditional neighborhood in my own county, my wife and I were considered newcomers for many years and it wasn't until some of the old residents died off or moved out that I was able to bond with some of the newcomers. Some of the old-timers still barely acknowledge me and we've now been in this house for 19 years.

I do not know whether all 800 lots have been marked. I know that phase one is built and that they have started phase two. I don't know how many phases there will be. I do know that this is year two of an "eight-to-ten year plan".

Charley

Old 05-07-2008, 03:27 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
When you become part of a 55+ community, you are likely to have people who've done the same thing you have and are more than happy to find out "who" you are and to welcome you. I think Elizamary has described how it has worked out this way for her, and how she welcomes newcomers.

As Delly says, I think it's primarily out-of-staters who move into local 55+ communities. All, or most of them, newcomers to Delaware and all, or most, eager to welcome and be welcomed.

Bingo........you win

Annie....you described it exactly how it is for us. As an out of stater and a newcomer to DE both my husband and I want to be welcomed and we are both eager to welcome anyone.
I have to say, most of DE has been welcoming with a very few exceptions.
it has been great.
We just got back from a trip to maine and it is sooooo good to be home.
I love my home And yes, this is definately home.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM

55 posts, read 182,165 times
For the last several years, I have known I would only buy next in a 55+ community. I am in a 96-unit condo complex now and have seen all the kinds of bad neighbors a person can imagine. We each get one assigned parking space with our unit number painted in it, plus there are visitor spaces around the parking lots. But people move in with 2 or 3 cars and figure they will just take other people's parking spaces; so someone comes home, finds a car in their only space and has to figure where in the 96 units the driver is; if it's a visitor and an unfamiliar car, good luck! Plus loud motorcycles, loud car radios, screaming kids, etc. I want my own driveway and garage and neighbors over 55 years old. I figure most people who buy in complexes like that are like me, and want a quiet environment. I showed photos of the places I visited to a co-worker and told her how quiet they were, nice friendly people, and she said "it sounds like Heaven". They are not building too many of these places near where I am and the ones they are building run from mid-$200's with no amenities to over half a million dollars and most have no pools, clubhouses, recreation facilities, etc. So I know I have to relocate to a lower-cost of living area when I retire and I would not even look at anything that was not a 55+ complex.

Eileen in CT

Old 05-08-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada49 View Post
For the last several years, I have known I would only buy next in a 55+ community. I am in a 96-unit condo complex now and have seen all the kinds of bad neighbors a person can imagine. We each get one assigned parking space with our unit number painted in it, plus there are visitor spaces around the parking lots. But people move in with 2 or 3 cars and figure they will just take other people's parking spaces; so someone comes home, finds a car in their only space and has to figure where in the 96 units the driver is; if it's a visitor and an unfamiliar car, good luck! Plus loud motorcycles, loud car radios, screaming kids, etc. I want my own driveway and garage and neighbors over 55 years old. I figure most people who buy in complexes like that are like me, and want a quiet environment. I showed photos of the places I visited to a co-worker and told her how quiet they were, nice friendly people, and she said "it sounds like Heaven". They are not building too many of these places near where I am and the ones they are building run from mid-$200's with no amenities to over half a million dollars and most have no pools, clubhouses, recreation facilities, etc. So I know I have to relocate to a lower-cost of living area when I retire and I would not even look at anything that was not a 55+ complex.

Eileen in CT
Eileen.........I hear you loud and clear. before we considered a 55+, we knew loads that bought into them. Some have a home in a 55+ in florida. down there for 6 months and up here for 6 months. That was my orginal plan but then changed our minds for it turns out not to be what we wanted.
55+ communities are really not that new. One in particular in Pa has been around since 1970. My aunt bought in one years ago. Like you said, you have your own home, driveway, less matinence and a community in which you can socialize if you wish. Most of all the homes are not that expensive.
another thing, we had considered a community near Allentown that was not a 55+ community. When we visited during the summer and checked out the pool, that did it. Loads of kids splashing, yelling and of course having fun. That is all well and good but I wanted peace and quiet.
55+ communities are in every state. florida and Arizona are or were two of the popular states for seniors to buy.
We wanted a state that had more seasonal weather with mild winters. DE was it for us.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:54 AM

956 posts, read 1,234,812 times
I hope you won't mind a total stranger chiming in! I was searching for information on Noble's Pond for some friends and came upon this thread (from Googling!) and this and another one I found about land leasing has been so helpful!!! Having read so many posts by some of you, I almost felt I'd gotten to know you.

I wanted to thank all of you who have contributed so much great information so I registered mostly to say that.

I was at Noble's Pond over the May 2nd weekend with some close friends who are seriously considering moving there from Maryland. We were all so impressed with it and fell in love with one particular model that hopefully they'll end up buying when some more sections open up. If they do, I get to go back and enjoy it, too!

My husband and I moved here to Florida from the NE 8 years ago. We did NOT buy in a 55+ community for the very same reasons some of you mention. We felt it was too confining, we wanted young people around, etc.,etc. But it's the next best thing to that because it offers almost everything that a 55+ would except not quite as grand and glorious a clubhouse. But we still have events, parties, water aerobics, a physical fitness center, bank, hair salon ... even a small marketplace. It has never attracted a lot of young people and a lot of people around here think it is a 55+.

If the time comes to move again (hopefully North), we would choose a 55+ in a heartbeat and from what I hear there are a ton of benefits in choosing Delaware. There's really nothing cliquey, clubby, or stodgy about a 55+ community. Only one person has to be over 55 and let's face it, that's not very old these days since we're living into our 80's and 90's. Us retired folks are now very active and love good fun as much as the next guy. Grandkids and families come to visit so you never get the feeling you're living in a closed environment. We know a lot of people in 50+ communities and they absolutely love it. Of course, the more amenities offered, the higher the monthly fees. We have a guarded gate which is very expensive.

So that's my 2 cents! Wherever we move when we retire, we want to become part of a community, meet new friends and stay active. Usually the best way to do that is in a 55+ community because everyone is in the same boat. Our street in this community was all built at the same time so we all moved in together. Moving into a new community always makes meeting people easier. After that it's the luck of the draw ... we were just fortunate, but I'd never take a chance in anything but a 55+ in the future.

Good luck to all of you and, Charley, I hope you find your dream house at Noble's Pond.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I hope you won't mind a total stranger chiming in!
We all started as total strangers - so welcome aboard ... and thanks for your good wishes.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM

Hi and Welcome to CD Delaware forum.

YOu can chime in anytime your wish. We all welcome newbies. I myself love meeting new people.
We live in a 55+ community and have for a 15 months now. Our community is small and we are pretty much like family. Hubby and I love it. I might add, moving from PA it's much easier on our pocketbook

You brought out a good point about 55 being the new 35. People are living longer. I'm in my 60's and very active. We use the gym at the clubhouse on a regular basis. The pool all summer is a real treat. Sure you pay land lease on some communities but you also have amnenties and no taxes on the land.

For us it is like living in a resort. The cut our grass, we have a 2 car garaqe, use of pool, gym activities. Always people to talk to. IF I have to walk out my home for a second, I'm gone an hour. This one comes over to say hi, that one and another. Very friendly community. It is new and there are a few kinks to iron out but we have noregrets

There are pros and cons about 55+ but most people are smart enough to know what they want and what they dont' want.

Nobles is a grand community. That was built after we b ought in this one but ours is nice too.

Quote:
I hope you won't mind a total stranger chiming in! I was searching for information on Noble's Pond for some friends and came upon this thread (from Googling!) and this and another one I found about land leasing has been so helpful!!! Having read so many posts by some of you, I almost felt I'd gotten to know you.

I wanted to thank all of you who have contributed so much great information so I registered mostly to say that.

I was at Noble's Pond over the May 2nd weekend with some close friends who are seriously considering moving there from Maryland. We were all so impressed with it and fell in love with one particular model that hopefully they'll end up buying when some more sections open up. If they do, I get to go back and enjoy it, too!

My husband and I moved here to Florida from the NE 8 years ago. We did NOT buy in a 55+ community for the very same reasons some of you mention. We felt it was too confining, we wanted young people around, etc.,etc. But it's the next best thing to that because it offers almost everything that a 55+ would except not quite as grand and glorious a clubhouse. But we still have events, parties, water aerobics, a physical fitness center, bank, hair salon ... even a small marketplace. It has never attracted a lot of young people and a lot of people around here think it is a 55+.

If the time comes to move again (hopefully North), we would choose a 55+ in a heartbeat and from what I hear there are a ton of benefits in choosing Delaware. There's really nothing cliquey, clubby, or stodgy about a 55+ community. Only one person has to be over 55 and let's face it, that's not very old these days since we're living into our 80's and 90's. Us retired folks are now very active and love good fun as much as the next guy. Grandkids and families come to visit so you never get the feeling you're living in a closed environment. We know a lot of people in 50+ communities and they absolutely love it. Of course, the more amenities offered, the higher the monthly fees. We have a guarded gate which is very expensive.

So that's my 2 cents! Wherever we move when we retire, we want to become part of a community, meet new friends and stay active. Usually the best way to do that is in a 55+ community because everyone is in the same boat. Our street in this community was all built at the same time so we all moved in together. Moving into a new community always makes meeting people easier. After that it's the luck of the draw ... we were just fortunate, but I'd never take a chance in anything but a 55+ in the future.

Good luck to all of you and, Charley, I hope you find your dream house at Noble's Pond.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:40 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,812 times
Charley, Elizamary ... thanks so much for the warm welcome! I guess I better get over to the Florida forum where maybe I can be of some help to someone.

But I was drawn to this thread because of my friends having just looked at Noble's Pond. They are going to look further in the area just to be sure they're getting a balanced view. I forwarded this thread to them, Elizamary, so they'll pick up on some of the other communities mentioned.

I was impressed that the owner at Noble's Pond built the clubhouse early on and I thought it was fabulous. I was curious why they needed the entire upstairs for offices and if I were looking for myself, that would be one of my questions. And my friends were sorry there wasn't also an indoor pool which they had seen at another development.

But overall it looks like it will be a wonderful community. Love the look of all the homes from the outside, the porches. For those of us watching our pennies, one of the benefits of the land lease seems to be getting so much more house for your money. We just fell in love with the Gladwyne/Wynnewood. It was amazing!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Charley, Elizamary ... thanks so much for the warm welcome! I guess I better get over to the Florida forum where maybe I can be of some help to someone.

But I was drawn to this thread because of my friends having just looked at Noble's Pond. They are going to look further in the area just to be sure they're getting a balanced view. I forwarded this thread to them, Elizamary, so they'll pick up on some of the other communities mentioned.

I was impressed that the owner at Noble's Pond built the clubhouse early on and I thought it was fabulous. I was curious why they needed the entire upstairs for offices and if I were looking for myself, that would be one of my questions. And my friends were sorry there wasn't also an indoor pool which they had seen at another development.

But overall it looks like it will be a wonderful community. Love the look of all the homes from the outside, the porches. For those of us watching our pennies, one of the benefits of the land lease seems to be getting so much more house for your money. We just fell in love with the Gladwyne/Wynnewood. It was amazing!!!
The Gladwynne is amazing. We've set our sites on something smaller, probably the Berkshire.

We're also interested in taking a look at the Champions Club in Magnolia. They have a new "Americana Series" that looks interesting. The homes are smaller, but we want to see them anyway.

Charley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware