U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:25 AM

271 posts, read 653,507 times
Default Noble's Pond

Yesterday, a friend told me that she and husband stopped by NP sometime fairly recently, and were very favorably impressed with Noble's Pond. Prior to this, neither of them had any inclination whatsoever to move into a 55+ community. Now they are considering the possibility for the future. They're old enough, both 59, but she said they will wait a few years, and are most interested in the land farther from the road, which she described a "quite lovely."

I drive past Noble's Pond now and then, and now I'm worried about losing motivation to move out-of-state (eventually) if we stop in! Since our primary reason for moving is to get closer to family, this most likely won't be a problem, but don't know that I want to take the chance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 AM

15,508 posts, read 7,449,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
Yesterday, a friend told me that she and husband stopped by NP sometime fairly recently, and were very favorably impressed with Noble's Pond. Prior to this, neither of them had any inclination whatsoever to move into a 55+ community. Now they are considering the possibility for the future. They're old enough, both 59, but she said they will wait a few years, and are most interested in the land farther from the road, which she described a "quite lovely."

I drive past Noble's Pond now and then, and now I'm worried about losing motivation to move out-of-state (eventually) if we stop in! Since our primary reason for moving is to get closer to family, this most likely won't be a problem, but don't know that I want to take the chance!

Hi Annie,
Nobles Pond is a lovely place. This is where Charley is thinking of moving too when his wife retires. Both my husband and I loved the concept of a 55+ community. We have lived in one now for over a year and it is has been wonderful.
They have 55+ communities in every state. Not sure where you family lives but they are all over. It is a great way to connect and have fun. We get together with neighbors and play cards, go out to eat, movies, gym and pool.
to me it is a great way to spend your retirement. Less work for mother/father and more time for fun.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hi Annie,
Nobles Pond is a lovely place. This is where Charley is thinking of moving too when his wife retires. Both my husband and I loved the concept of a 55+ community. We have lived in one now for over a year and it is has been wonderful.
They have 55+ communities in every state. Not sure where you family lives but they are all over. It is a great way to connect and have fun. We get together with neighbors and play cards, go out to eat, movies, gym and pool.
to me it is a great way to spend your retirement. Less work for mother/father and more time for fun.
Eliza, our family lives all over the country! I wonder if 55+ communities are turning up everywhere these days. We had, for ourselves, been thinking more along the lines of traditional housing, but with lawn cutting, snow shoveling, provided. We know several people who dwell in that sort of situation. But....I'm so impressed that our fussy friends are pleased with Noble's Pond!

I know you've mentioned where you're living, but can't remember the name. Let me know, and I'll tell them to check out it out too!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Eliza, our family lives all over the country! I wonder if 55+ communities are turning up everywhere these days. We had, for ourselves, been thinking more along the lines of traditional housing, but with lawn cutting, snow shoveling, provided. We know several people who dwell in that sort of situation. But....I'm so impressed that our fussy friends are pleased with Noble's Pond!

I know you've mentioned where you're living, but can't remember the name. Let me know, and I'll tell them to check out it out too!
Hi Annie,
Where we live is not as upscale as Nobles Pond but it is still nice. We live in southern Meadows in Magnolia. there are 55+ communities springing up all over the place. Some are land lease and some you own the land. that is a personal choice. Nobles is land lease. some people just dont' want the headache of lawn cutting and such. It's almost like living in a resort. Im sure some would beg to differ because it is not for everyone.
We love it though. Especially in the summer with the pool. You and hubby should visit a few but dont' jump into it. Scout around and take time to think it over. I never thought retirement could be this good. Never thought I would retire at the age I did either.
I personally know friends that have visited Nobles and they were extremely impressed.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hi Annie,
Where we live is not as upscale as Nobles Pond but it is still nice. We live in southern Meadows in Magnolia. there are 55+ communities springing up all over the place. Some are land lease and some you own the land. that is a personal choice. Nobles is land lease. some people just dont' want the headache of lawn cutting and such. It's almost like living in a resort. Im sure some would beg to differ because it is not for everyone.
We love it though. Especially in the summer with the pool. You and hubby should visit a few but dont' jump into it. Scout around and take time to think it over. I never thought retirement could be this good. Never thought I would retire at the age I did either.
I personally know friends that have visited Nobles and they were extremely impressed.
Magnolia has some lovely country roads. We'll have to steer our friends in your direction....after they get over Noble's Pond anyway! Right now, they're entranced!

We are a couple years closer to senior citizen status then they are, and feel the need to be closer to family (no family in Delaware), as well as to other things and services we see the possibility of requiring as we age. Hey, everybody's ageing, aren't they? From the moment of birth?

We don't see ourselves putting this house on the market until the housing market improves though, and that looks like a couple of years or more. I do see the Dover area changing and I know that various things are gradually improving, so who knows for certain where we will end up ourselves? (Husband and I had a long talk about this last night. He was discouraged after reviewing the tax situations in 5 of the 6 states we've been considering.)

Old 04-30-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Magnolia has some lovely country roads. We'll have to steer our friends in your direction....after they get over Noble's Pond anyway! Right now, they're entranced!

We don't see ourselves putting this house on the market until the housing market improves though, and that looks like a couple of years or more. I do see the Dover area changing and I know that various things are gradually improving, so who knows for certain where we will end up ourselves? (Husband and I had a long talk about this last night. He was discouraged after reviewing the tax situations in 5 of the 6 states we've been considering.)
Oh yes, Magnolia is lovely. We just love the ruralness.

You are best holding off till the market improves if you can. Most definatley!!!
We moved here from PA because of the taxes. Yet, Pa isnt' that bad. They dont' tax your pension at all.
It took us 3 years of investigating to see where our destination would be. And wha la........here we are.
Yes we do age but we are not getting older but we are getting better

Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 AM

902 posts, read 2,436,617 times
I have heard from several sources that Nobles Pond is a lovely community. Since my folks are soon to be moving to DE, I have been checking into the 55+ communities for them. For our family, with all things to consider, it does not seem the 55+ community is right for my folks.

I had not heard of the concept until moving to DE, but it seems in further exploration, 55+ is the wave of the "senior" future. Interesting, from all angles, to say the least.

Anniebleu, glad to hear your friends are enchanted... hope all works out well for them regardless of their final decision. And as for you and hubby, I hope you too are so enchanted with the new face of DE you are seeing, and stay for a while! We're going to have to plan a lunch around you're availability, either way!

Mary

Old 04-30-2008, 10:18 AM

Eliza, really no choice for us when it comes to holding off until the housing market improves. We need to get our price on this house in order to be able to afford a house, even a smaller one, where we're likely to be moving. It certainly is hard to beat Delaware when it comes to taxes!

Mary, so we...as above...will definitely be here for a while! I so hope to get to one or more of those lunches, which always sound like so much fun! I expected to be out of town (out of state) today, but a last minute schedule revision. Ordinarily, it's tough to find a free day. In fact, this one isn't free either. I am devoting some of the time I should be working here at the computer to playing on this forum.

I wonder if Charley explored 55+ communities in other states. (?) I wasn't aware of their existence until I started seeing signs in Kent County!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,175,603 times
Quote:
I wonder if Charley explored 55+ communities in other states. (?) I wasn't aware of their existence until I started seeing signs in Kent County!
I actually started reviewing, visiting and eliminating other states before I started looking at specific communities. I finally started looking at communities when the choices were down to Delaware or Pennsylvania. I was scheduled to see a few in Pennsylvania but when I learned more about tax and weather (winters in "Happy Valley" have too much snow for me), I eliminated Pennsylvania.

So the total depth of my experience in looking at 55+ communities is limited to the one state where I intend to reside.

Charley

Old 04-30-2008, 11:46 AM

4,550 posts, read 5,646,401 times
Annie.......I have an idea.
Dover Days, Sunday, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. The House and Garden Tour
This seems rather strange to me, but Nobles Pond is listed on the House and Garden Tour. (see schedule in that thread). Shuttles leave The Green continuously, and NP has 7 models available for viewing, they say. My point is, Sunday, if you don't want to board the shuttle, or pay $15 for the whole tour, this might be your chance to check Noble's Pond out on your own, since they'll probably be busy. I'm of the sort, I would want to look, but not be held hostage, or be on the receiving end of a sales pitch..... Kind of incognito! Just an idea.

Also, Noble's Pond consists of very nice modulars. Some of these 55+ communities have doublewide manufactured homes. It just depends on what you want. They are quite different, in regard to quality of construction and lending requirements, Manufactured homes come with a motor vehicle title, and are subject to approval by the County, before they can be considered real estate. But, they are always considered "manufactured". Modulars (BOCA Code) are considered stick built, and have no motor vehicle title. But, I guess you know all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware