U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 02:37 PM

7,314 posts, read 10,734,997 times

Advertisements

It has come to my attention, that earlier this morning at Legislative Hall in Dover, the Bond Bill Committee met, hearing a request from the President of Delaware Technical and Community College for $20 million in funding. Senator Skip Venables (D) Laural, Delaware, with subsequent agreement from Representative Lofink, made an impassioned plea for his colleagues to join him in supporting an increase in the Delaware real estate transfer tax to fund DTCC capital construction. Senator Venables said this needs to be done, regardless of the consequences. The increase they are pushing for is .28%, which will have an effect on buyers and sellers, in an already declining real estate market. An increase in real estate transfer tax could be an easy mark for a General Assembly strapped with a serious financial crisis.

If you are interested in joining me, and hundreds of others at Legislative Hall to oppose this increase, the day is Thursday, May 8th. Sorry, I do not yet have a time that this will take place.
Delly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 03:05 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,967,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
It has come to my attention, that earlier this morning at Legislative Hall in Dover, the Bond Bill Committee met, hearing a request from the President of Delaware Technical and Community College for $20 million in funding. Senator Skip Venables (D) Laural, Delaware, with subsequent agreement from Representative Lofink, made an impassioned plea for his colleagues to join him in supporting an increase in the Delaware real estate transfer tax to fund DTCC capital construction. Senator Venables said this needs to be done, regardless of the consequences. The increase they are pushing for is .28%, which will have an effect on buyers and sellers, in an already declining real estate market. An increase in real estate transfer tax could be an easy mark for a General Assembly strapped with a serious financial crisis.

If you are interested in joining me, and hundreds of others at Legislative Hall to oppose this increase, the day is Thursday, May 8th. Sorry, I do not yet have a time that this will take place.
Delly
Well that's a bummer!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 AM

It appears legislators may be considering this increase very seriously. On a $175,000 median priced house, currently the transfer tax is 3%, or $5,250, split between buyer and seller. The bill, which was introduced, will raise the transfer tax another .28%, which would add another $490 to that transfer tax on a $175,000 home. On a $300,000 home, with the passage of this bill, DTT will be $9,840.

"Even though we're going to have revenue enhancers for the general budget, I hope my colleagues see fit to include the realty tax increase" said Bond Bill Committee co-chair Sen. Robert L. Venables, Sr. (D) Laurel. The tax increase would generate $22 million a year, they say, although the sagging housing market probably would decrease that estimate.

I'll be at Legislative Hall today, and every day until May 8th, with my ear to the ground. You can bet, I will be asking a lot of questions, as to which legislators are in favor of passing this bill. One at a time, I will be speaking with each of them, personally.
Delly

Old 05-01-2008, 06:38 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,457,756 times
Delly, Didn't the state set up some sort of free, higher education for all high school graduates with at least a C average? Only Del Tech is supposed to receive all these students. Del Tech will have a need for capital funds in the near future. Lots of incoming students.

On the surface it seems to be a noble attempt. However, since the state is saying that they are broke and laying off public school teachers (K-12), perhaps now is not the time to fund a higher education program.

Orlando George use to be a state rep. See if you can discover what his yearly salary might be compared with comparable institutions. Not trying to defame anyone's character here. Just pointing out how small state politics seem to work in DE....in my opinion.

Don't forget to hit up the wavering votes. Maybe you'll get more support there.

Let us know how you make out.

And now I should get off the soap box and shut up. I really am not an expert on the subject....just have a personal outlook.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 AM

Rockky....Thank you for chiming in! I typically don't climb up on a political soap box, either. But when something this important comes up, I feel it's my duty as a citizen to give it serious time and thought, especially since the real estate industry has played a major part in my life. Besides, I can work in these trips to Legislative Hall quite easily, being self-employed. I don't plan to buy or sell, so this won't have an effect on me. Where my business is concerned, the increase in DTT won't matter....this won't stop buyers' and sellers' reactions in the marketplace (I'm not in real estate sales). Since most of our real estate activity takes place in the form of newcomers relocating to Delaware, this should be of interest to them. But, maybe not. I understand other states are much more expensive in which to live, so this little drop in the bucket in transfer tax to pay, probably is of little interest to most.

While I have read some about Del Tech's programs, and their budgets, I'm not well versed on that subject. My focus is on the DTT, and those legislators intending to vote for this bill. .......... I'm on my way to Legislative Hall, now. Thank you, again, for your post, Rockky.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 AM

Delly, The powers that be in DE usually stick something like this on the tail end of another bill and get it through at the last fiscal moment. Suddenly everyone is shocked.

I still think DE politics are strange. It's not just the last minute addendums to bills. I think that's sort of common. It's the weird political maneuvering with what seems to be no checks and balances....lots of power to a few people.

Hey, while you're at it, could you check on the status of the crumbling Indian River Bridge and the progress on its replacement.....now that they are going to begin tearing down the hundred of thousands of dollars of poorly planned and unstable prep work already done for a bridge that isn't coming. I really don't mean to make light of this issue. Can you imagine the humanitarian and fiscal impact on the state if and when that bridge goes?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Delly, The powers that be in DE usually stick something like this on the tail end of another bill and get it through at the last fiscal moment. Suddenly everyone is shocked. I still think DE politics are strange. It's not just the last minute addendums to bills. I think that's sort of common. It's the weird political maneuvering with what seems to be no checks and balances....lots of power to a few people.
Hey, while you're at it, could you check on the status of the crumbling Indian River Bridge and the progress on its replacement.....now that they are going to begin tearing down the hundred of thousands of dollars of poorly planned and unstable prep work already done for a bridge that isn't coming. I really don't mean to make light of this issue. Can you imagine the humanitarian and fiscal impact on the state if and when that bridge goes?
I wandered the Legislative Hall Chambers for a couple of hours, picked some brains, and had some discussions with my Representative, and others. I understand what you're saying about the way these bills are "sneaked" through (my term, not yours). Tomorrow, around the same time, I'll be back at Legislative Hall again to try and hammer my opinions home. May 8th is the big day!

Yes, the Indian River Bridge was a costly mistake, and our taxes are going to waste, because of some incompetents' planning. I'll check the status on that.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 AM

Delly, I just took a look at the DE State web site. The members of the Education Committee are there. DTCC President's daughter is on the committee and is a co sponsor of Senate Bill #167 (a companion bill to #293...the one that got the ball rolling on this). The rest of the list of names would be people who, for various reasons (some personal), would vote in favor of this bill. The sponsor of #167 is Lofink and co sponsored by Venables.

House bill #293....says "Fiscal Note not required". That's sorta like saying 'is there a financial impact?' You may want to question this. No impact on whom? It's nit picking, but could take you somewhere else.

Lofink has his own problems right now (with nepotism), although all deny any direct part in the situation.

I'm very middle of the road when it comes to politics. I wish more people could and would take an active interest in what is happening in the state. It looks as if things aren't going to change soon with the up coming election. And the beat goes on in DE politics!!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 AM

Roc....You've done some very good research. Thank you!

I'm out the door on appointments, then I'm stopping by Legislative Hall, maybe after lunch, to dig around. I'll be attending Legislative Action Day, on Thursday, May 8th and joining many at the Delaware General Assembly. If this bill passes, the whines will come later. That's a pretty big increase in DTT, in my opinion. While I'm not a political activist (I once was ) I think this bill is a big deal and will affect us all, at one time or another.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:45 PM

902 posts, read 3,211,523 times
Hey there Delly,

I was tied up in a class today, or else you would have seen me at Legislative Hall! Been there a few times already working on disabilities awareness, thanks to our son with autism.

As hubby and I are working on buying a home here in DE (not our first in our lifetime, but hopefully our last), I for one would LOVE to hear how this turned out! PLEASE post an update.. we inquiring minds need to know.

You... a political activist??? I may need some pointers, as a group of us from another forum are planning a trip to DC in June... yep, for autism related issues on the federal level. So as not to steal your thread... I'll stop there.

Please let us know the results of today's activities in Dover.

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware