U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:52 PM

243 posts, read 835,941 times

Advertisements

Hi Rachlyn I feel like we are pals already! I truly wish you the best of luck in your hunt. I know it's a long hard road. The good news is the payoff is immeasurable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 PM

902 posts, read 3,214,449 times
Wow, ladies! Its been fun catchin' up on my reading here on C-D! Hubby still works in NY, while the kids and I are settling in and lovin' it here in DE. And you're both right, he's doing it for the money right now. Hopefully, if his work goes good for the next 5 years, he'll be able to hang up that hat and make the big jump to DE with us. We'll see!

As far as companies moving out of Manhattan... I have seen some trend in that direction in the last 10 years or so. With the internet and other "modern technologies" developing, and with the advent of 9/11, I think a LOT of the giant corporations are re-thinking the necessity to be in the BIG CITY. NY will always attract certain industries, as we all know it is hard to change some mindsets. And the idea of increasing tolls (by the mayor) is ludicrous, in my opinion. There are plenty of people who have no choice by to commute or even drive into the city everyday; lets just hurt the little guy a little more, Mr. Mayor! GRRRRR!

Mary

Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 AM

17 posts, read 53,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movn2del View Post
Hi Rachlyn I feel like we are pals already! I truly wish you the best of luck in your hunt. I know it's a long hard road. The good news is the payoff is immeasurable!
Hi Movn2del!

Yes, I feel the same way! and thank you for paving the way for me...

Old 05-19-2008, 10:01 AM

17 posts, read 53,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
As far as companies moving out of Manhattan... I have seen some trend in that direction in the last 10 years or so. With the internet and other "modern technologies" developing, and with the advent of 9/11, I think a LOT of the giant corporations are re-thinking the necessity to be in the BIG CITY. NY will always attract certain industries, as we all know it is hard to change some mindsets. And the idea of increasing tolls (by the mayor) is ludicrous, in my opinion. There are plenty of people who have no choice by to commute or even drive into the city everyday; lets just hurt the little guy a little more, Mr. Mayor! GRRRRR!

Mary

Hi MaryCh,

I totally agree with you! it does come down to the Mayor "hurting the little guy"... and running the "little guy" out of town... I believe that is why so many people are leaving... to find a better quality of life elsewhere... The Mayor just does not either get it or care! As much as I love NY and all of its diversity, I know that it is not the be all and end all... and there is better out there. I have to tell you, when we get to the "Yellow Bridge" and we're crossing over the canal, I get such a feeling of excitement and home, all at once! Can you tell I'm looking forward to the move?!!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:42 PM

902 posts, read 3,214,449 times
Hey Rachlyn,

No doubt you ARE looking forward to moving! And our son with autism calls the "Yellow Bridge" the "Golden Bridge"! We too notice a difference once we are south of the canal.. even noticed that when searching for a place to settle here in DE. Eerie, huh?

Mary

Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 AM

7,332 posts, read 10,763,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Hey Rachlyn,

No doubt you ARE looking forward to moving! And our son with autism calls the "Yellow Bridge" the "Golden Bridge"! We too notice a difference once we are south of the canal.. even noticed that when searching for a place to settle here in DE. Eerie, huh?
Mary
Mary....don't know if I mentioned this, probably did, in all of my ramblings.....
In Delaware, you're either "above the ditch" or "below the ditch" when speaking of the Chesapeake-Delaware Canal (yellow/golden bridge). Some say below the ditch is "lower-slower" but that's incorrect, and heaven knows, you don't want to be incorrect and look uninformed "lower-slower" is absolutely reserved for those people in Sussex County. But, I digress..... zzzzzzzzzz http://www.westlord.com/smiles/sleep/001.gif (broken link)

Delly

Last edited by rdlr; 05-23-2008 at 02:11 AM..

Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,330 times
Thinking of moving to Delaware but need information about commutte to NY train or bus and the amount ,good school ,good neighbourhood and what the tax look like.Thinking of new construction with about 4-5bedrooms,280 -320,000.Thanks for the infor.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:48 AM

12,605 posts, read 28,041,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saatayero1 View Post
Thinking of moving to Delaware but need information about commutte to NY train or bus and the amount ,good school ,good neighbourhood and what the tax look like.Thinking of new construction with about 4-5bedrooms,280 -320,000.Thanks for the infor.
I'm not sure why this old thread was bumped up, but I'd like to suggest that you start a new thread saatayero1 if you would like some info.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,189 times
Is there a train that goes from Wilmington to Smyrna, DE?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM

12,605 posts, read 28,041,317 times
No. As far as I know, there is no rail service south of Newark.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware