U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2008, 10:44 PM

51 posts, read 121,008 times

Advertisements

I can come translate if it helps! First he has to drop all the G's that are in words ending in ing. That means he's runnin, swimmin, jumpin, and NASCARin! LOL Rocky is right on with the comments!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 05:17 AM

4,593 posts, read 5,888,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
When you listen to the guys talk about goin' to the Georgetown Far Hall for the ayster feed...well, they sure do get excited about it. Aysters, hart bolled eggs, and berr????!!??? Ugh! That's enough reason to keep women away without making it a rule!
Roc.....You do know, don't you, that on the very same night 'the guys' are at their Georgetown private party, 'the gals' are at Lewes, having their private party..... shrm'p 'n berr.....??? The guys' event pales in comparison to that of the gals'. .... boiled eggs in beet juice.....anyone?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,258,266 times
Yep! I did know about the gals havin' their own hoopala. I also heard that the male waiters barely make it out alive. Talk about friendly DE!!! LOL! I'm sure that's an exaggeration. Right?!?

Now that red beet egg (or pickled egg thing) is very PA Dutch. They are good!! I don't even like hard cooked eggs, but red beet eggs make great deviled eggs. Pretty presentation with all the color.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 AM

65 posts, read 166,718 times
When my hubby and I moved to WV from NJ we thought we would be greeted with open arms...ha-not so much. I still to this day feel like a big dope when I try to be nice to someone here(WV) and just get a blank stare back at me. My hubby doesn't even bother anymore.
Needless to say we have become a bit reserved and somewhat cold towards people!
All that is out the window everytime we visit DE. People are so friendly, at first we didn't know how to act!!!lol. My hubby and I came to the realization that we are just jadded from our experiences and we have to open up once again.
We had better open up fast as we are moving to DE in less than a month. What is so funny and refreshing is that our new n'bors are so nice that we are on a first name basis with all of them and we haven't even moved into our new home yet!
Tabitha
Happy Primary Day!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachanyone View Post
All that is out the window everytime we visit DE. People are so friendly, at first we didn't know how to act!!!lol. My hubby and I came to the realization that we are just jadded from our experiences and we have to open up once again.
Beach..........Please put a bug in your husband's ear for me! If a 68ish, slow talking, clean cut guy, with a great big smile, starts up a conversation with your husband at the gas pump, tell him to humor my husband! He just won't quit, and never gets embarrassed when people just jump in their cars and drive away! I'm beginning to think it's a challenge for him! ....Kind of like......fishing!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 PM

LoL,
I will tell my hubby to humor your until mine has adjusted to normal, friendly people again.
Tabitha

Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachanyone View Post
LoL,
I will tell my hubby to humor your until mine has adjusted to normal, friendly people again.
Tabitha
O.K. It's a deal

Old 05-07-2008, 09:29 AM

1,032 posts, read 2,005,489 times
Delaware Maryland and VA all are much friendlier than PA and NY..

South Jersey seems to be very friendly where as North Jersey is really snotty.

It's all relative, but Delawareans will tend to talk to ANYONE around them. I think it's nice.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Delaware Maryland and VA all are much friendlier than PA and NY..

South Jersey seems to be very friendly where as North Jersey is really snotty.

It's all relative, but Delawareans will tend to talk to ANYONE around them. I think it's nice.
That is funny! I think the exact opposite (except about DE). I have found thru living in MD, WV, NY, NJ and soon to be moving to DE that>>>
1) MD people are ok
2)WV people are very unfriendly to outsiders and change
3) NYers are in their own little world
4) NJ people think they are "elitist", but warm up very nicely... I am a Jersey native so maybe I am somewhat partial.
5) DE people seel to be all that wrapped into one. The most friendly, open to new people "coming into their town", and just a happy go lucky kind of laid back attitude.
This is just MHO pertaining to my own experiences.
Tabitha

Old 05-09-2008, 01:02 AM

902 posts, read 2,487,251 times
Hey gang,

I too have found the vast majority of Delawareans to be quite open, friendly, and all around "down home" folks! VERY much like the area in southern Ohio (western, not eastern) I am originally from.

Now, as I posted elsewhere, the folks in central NC (no further locator necessary) were MUCH less friendly, despite the reputation for southern hospitality! Even after 15 years there, we never quite fit in or were as welcomed as we have been here in less than a year!

As far as the "language" goes... I think I'd better pull out my copy of Jeff Foxworthy's "Redneck Dictionary"... I do believe I'll put it to use HERE much more than we ever did in NC! Mainly because of nice folks like Delly's hubby wantin' to chat at the gas pumps! And yep, I've met the man, and he's wonderful! If he weren't already taken, and just a tad too old for me, not to mention I'M taken, he would CERTAINLY be my kinda guy!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware