Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:55 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
The last time we drove to New York (which was a couple of years ago) I thought people were being friendly when I was trying to get in the correct lane, to get on the George Washington Bridge. Everybody was honking and waving, and I was waving back. My husband said....... "they are not waving to you to be friendly......they are honking at you to get out of their way, and they are making obscene gestures"
I know where I'm not welcome!
Too funny! Most are really are friendly, in upstate NY (hopefully they don't give wrong directions! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 02:45 PM

243 posts, read 914,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post

I've even had a conversation with my neighbor at my 4 ft high fence, I've only seen that in the movies. LOL
I thought my husband and I were the only ones that did this. Our fence is 5ft but we alwas talk to our neighbors over it!

Quote:
Glad things are working out for your Laurel. That's funny.....friendly people surprising you! And, actually, we locals are surprised when we are walking towards someone, and when we get closer, that person avoids eye contact! That's a sure giveaway they are not from around here. But, we don't let them get away with it and say Good Morning, or something. Many newcomers act a little suspicious and seem afraid to speak to us. But, maybe from where they come, they have good reason. They'll change their ways, in time.
Must make eye contact. Very important. Shows sincerity. I've always believed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I'm sure that as in every other state in the nation, there are going to be some people who will be happy to receive me as a newbie in Delaware, and some who will not be happy about another New Yorker coming to invade their space, clog their roads, abuse their services or whatever the complaint du jour might be.

In my visits to Delaware in the past several years, I've been very lucky to have met extremely friendly individuals who seemed genuinely welcoming when I shared my plans with them. For me, the strategy is a simple one. I'll be able to distinguish those who welcome me from those who are not interested, and do my best to show those who welcomed me that I was worth their welcome. For those not interested in me, I wish them a long and happy life and say "bye bye". It's their loss.

I do presume I will meet many more welcoming folks than the other.

Charley
I'm with you Charley 100 percent! I hope people accept me for who I am. If they can't, it's their loss because I'm a good person to have as a friend. I'd like me as a friend and that's what counts in my book.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:31 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,669,488 times
I'm with you Charley 100 percent! I hope people accept me for who I am. If they can't, it's their loss because I'm a good person to have as a friend. I'd like me as a friend and that's what counts in my book.[/quote]

I second this!!!! 100%

Old 05-18-2008, 03:33 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movn2del View Post
I'd like me as a friend and that's what counts in my book.
I have a feeling I'd like you as a friend too!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:38 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Back to Friendly people in Delaware....
Everybody has an opinion. But, what constitutes "people in Delaware" ???
Our Delaware population is such a mish-mash, that "people in Delaware" consists of "people from everywhere" and native Delawareans are in the minority.
(Not saying that's different from any other state). We've all becoming "generic".

Last edited by rdlr; 05-18-2008 at 06:14 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 05:54 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Too funny! Most are really are friendly, in upstate NY (hopefully they don't give wrong directions! )
No, Honeycrisp....I didn't slow down enough to converse with anybody. This was high traffic volumne... GW Bridge area. Talk about a fish outta water!

When we got to Connecticut, I found some people very friendly....and quite similar to my neighbors in our Delaware small town.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling I'd like you as a friend too!
Awww shucks. Thanks
Quote:
Back to Friendly people in Delaware....
Everybody has an opinion. But, what constitutes "people in Delaware" ???
Our Delaware population is such a mish-mash, that "people in Delaware" consists of "people from everywhere" and native Delawareans are in the minority.
(Not saying that's different from any other state). We've all becoming "generic".
My .02 = Delaware is changing and I would define it as people who live in Delaware. Hopefully the people who are coming to live there will keep the friendly attitudes that exist in Delaware and not the attitudes they are moving from, if they are negative. It would be a real shame if Delaware would lose it's friendliness. The friendliness is one of the things I enjoy.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
My .02 = Delaware is changing and I would define it as people who live in Delaware. It would be a real shame if Delaware would lose it's friendliness. The friendliness is one of the things I enjoy.
Well, since you're the original poster, it's your definition that counts. From my point of view, once you move in and pay your taxes and register your car, you're a Delawarean. I wouldn't worry about the state losing it's friendliness. It seems to be attracting friendly people and we'll do our best to keep that reputation true ... once I get there, of course. Right now, I'm busy "living on City Data" and in New York

Charley

Old 05-18-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Well, since you're the original poster, it's your definition that counts. From my point of view, once you move in and pay your taxes and register your car, you're a Delawarean. I wouldn't worry about the state losing it's friendliness. It seems to be attracting friendly people and we'll do our best to keep that reputation true ... once I get there, of course. Right now, I'm busy "living on City Data" and in New York

Charley
Hey Charley.....Everybody's opinion counts in my book I do worry about the state losing its friendliness. There is no reason in the world for people to be unfriendly. It doesn't take any extra effort. If it does, it shouldn't. Let the friendliness keep rollin'. I'm also living on City Data and in New York but not for long. 'bout another 10 weeks. I'm sorta countin'. Can't wait.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Hey Charley.....Everybody's opinion counts in my book I do worry about the state losing its friendliness. There is no reason in the world for people to be unfriendly. It doesn't take any extra effort. If it does, it shouldn't. Let the friendliness keep rollin'. I'm also living on City Data and in New York but not for long. 'bout another 10 weeks. I'm sorta countin'. Can't wait.
I love your enthusiasm. If people like you keep moving in, then when I finally get there, I'll have nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware