U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:39 PM

243 posts, read 599,263 times
Question Friendly people in Delaware or not?

I've seen this question posted in different ways and in different threads. I have to say, from my husband's and my personal experience, we have experienced nothing but nice people in Delaware. I have heard from some people that people aren't friendly in Delaware. Here is my take on it, for those who care. My husband and I are nice and friendly people. People tend to be nice and friendly toward us, I guess because we are nice and friendly to them. I think you get what you give. I think if someone extends themself with a wave, a hello or some other nicety, it is required to return it and pass it along to others. I'm a happier person when I initiate this behavior rather than returning it. Yes, it is disheartening when I initiate and the other person doesn't return it, but I figure the person who doesn't return the nicety probably hasn't experienced it before. This may or may not be true, but it's how I like to view it and it works for me. Let me add, this does not just pertain to Delaware, it's all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,740,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movn2del View Post
I've seen this question posted in different ways and in different threads. I have to say, from my husband's and my personal experience, we have experienced nothing but nice people in Delaware.
Great post, movin! I'm glad you are having good experiences. For the most part, I've had good experiences with people moving into the state. I think the occasional bad apple will be found most anywhere. And, I do the same, always speak to strangers first. Sometimes, they look at me like I have 3 heads, though!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:00 PM

243 posts, read 599,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Great post, movin! I'm glad you are having good experiences. For the most part, I've had good experiences with people moving into the state. I think the occasional bad apple will be found most anywhere. And, I do the same, always speak to strangers first. Sometimes, they look at me like I have 3 heads, though!
I chuckled when I saw your post. There are many times I think people think I have 3 heads. When I walk through Manhattan, I just go where I'm going and make sure not to bump into anyone. I never say hello, wave or anything. There are too many people that are too crowded together and it would take forever to get anywhere. Also, in Manhattan, the people who talk to you are usually either looking to sell you something or get you to give them money, so it's best to pretend they aren't there. This is one of the reasons we are moving to Delaware. We want more friendly, open space. When I'm sitting in my yard, I greet whoever passes by. When I'm walking and see someone outside, I say hello, good morning or good afternoon. I think some of the Delawareans are in fear of "us" trying to change Delaware. Some of "us" are, I guess. By "us" I mean transplants. I don't understand why anyone would move to an area they like and then try to change it into where they came from. Attempting to do that would only wind up making the place you like, a copy of the place you left, with all it's problems.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:17 PM

51 posts, read 119,552 times
I think most people are friendly around here. With the scary headlines in the news I think that many people are keeping more to themselves so maybe if they don't seem friendly they are just afraid of other people. Best to just give a big smile and someone's bound to smile back!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastblunder View Post
I think most people are friendly around here. With the scary headlines in the news I think that many people are keeping more to themselves so maybe if they don't seem friendly they are just afraid of other people. Best to just give a big smile and someone's bound to smile back!
That's what I'm thinking, eastcoast.....lots of people moving here seem to be afraid to talk, maybe coming from a bad neighborhood! That's usually how I can tell if they are from out of state. My husband's worse than me! He will walk right up to somebody if they have a Philly shirt, NY Yankees shirt, and start talking about the last game. Of course the person thinks he's got something wrong with him, and walks away. Then my husband asks me....."Wonder what ails that guy"......

Old 05-05-2008, 09:45 AM

16 posts, read 34,489 times
Delly,

They prolly don't understand him. Have him carry an English to Kent/Sussex county dictionary with him and have him let them borrow it will he is speaking to them.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remike2 View Post
Delly,

They prolly don't understand him. Have him carry an English to Kent/Sussex county dictionary with him and have him let them borrow it will he is speaking to them.
"Now, that there is funny! I don't care what anybody says!"
(quote from guess who?)

Kent/Sussex dialog.....as in giving directions:
down chair, over yonder, down the road apiece, 'cross the field and drainage ditch, commence past WalMart, near the Four Corners, by the old Rudnick Farm....... No wonder they run away!

I'm usually embarrassed when this happens to my husband, who just doesn't get it! He thinks they are in either in a big hurry because they just stole something from the store, or have a hearing problem. I keep telling my husband..."They don't want to talk with you, because they don't KNOW you".

Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 PM

16 posts, read 34,489 times
Your husband sounds like a great guy.

I bet there a lot of folks who would not be able to connect with Rundick farm.
They also would not know it was just around the corner from Punch and Run

Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Your husband sounds like a great guy.

I bet there a lot of folks who would not be able to connect with Rundick farm.
They also would not know it was just around the corner from Punch and Run
Yep, Thanks! He is a great person, and believes anything anybody tells him! He even jogged harness horses around the old Rudnick track, and I mucked out the stalls!

Old 05-05-2008, 03:24 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,214,611 times
Quote:
Delly,

Now, that's funny!!! remike, I get such a kick of of listening to the different dialects from all over the country. I enjoy them, and I wish they weren't changing. Thanks to TV, we are all going to sound the same. That's just plain dull. When you listen to the guys talk about goin' to the Georgetown Far Hall for the ayster feed...well, they sure do get excited about it. Aysters, hart bolled eggs, and berr????!!??? Ugh! That's enough reason to keep women away without making it a rule!

I always thought the locals in Sussex where friendly. It took me awhile to get used to the rather friendly way men address women. "Dear", "Honey", "Darlin'"....it's really quite harmless, but I bet it's done less and less now.

When I moved to Kent County in 2005 I was surprised how friendly folks were just in a store. I often got smiles and a nice, "Hello". I was pleased with how social many people seemed to be. I got to thinking about it when I saw the title of this thread. You know what....they didn't change. I did. I ran into some not nice situations. I probably stopped looking at people. I became defensive and, frankly, frightened at times around Dover. It wasn't the majority of people who were skeevy, but I became less open to being friendly. In general, yes, many people were openly friendly. I just got sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware