Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 07:54 PM

9,681 posts, read 14,153,430 times

Advertisements

In my line of work, countless deeds and legal descriptions cross my desk. Delaware's industry is primarily agriculture. Many Delaware farmers who've subdivided their land into building lots, but choose to keep the bulk of the land as strictly agriculture, have decided to add standard language in their deeds/legal descriptions when they create a minor subdivision, with the intention of selling a lot, or lots. The reason for this, is many out-of-staters move to Delaware, love it here, then start complaining about noise, manure, chickens, machinery, and everything else that goes with Delaware's farming industry. From past experience, farmers have learned to give 'fair warning' to those not wanting to live around farm type activities, odors, and such. I've even seen farmers posting signs on their properties, with some of this language, when a subdivision is approved next to their farm (at least one in Magnolia). I'm including here, language I've seen, so that if you intend to move to Delaware, you will not be surprised to see something like this in a legal description or deed, or posted on farm land. Before you buy a property in Delaware, check the deed, legal description, and restrictions. In addition, living within a subdivision will not protect you from the neighboring farmers going about their business. Deeds, legal descriptions and restrictions are recorded documents, and may be examined at the County Buildings in any of the 3 counties.

This property is located in the vicinity of land used primarily for agricultural purposes on which normal agricultural uses and activities have been afforded the highest priority use status. It can be anticipated that such agricultural uses and activities may now or in the future involve noise, dust, manure, and other odors, the use of agricultural chemical and nightime farm operations. The use and enjoyment of this property is expressly conditioned on acceptance of any annoyance or inconvenience which may result from such normal agricultural uses and activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 PM

243 posts, read 912,149 times
Please ................. people move into farming communities and expect not to have the...........ammenities of the farms.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,579,086 times
Delly, your great knowledge of deeds just is amazing.
I remember the first time a family member was telling me about the smells coming her way. Being from the Jersey Shore it was not something she was use too........
I wonder, do you get use to it after awhile.......or not? I think she still to this day doesn't know exactly what its from.......LOL

Old 05-13-2008, 04:31 PM

9,681 posts, read 14,153,430 times
Well, Summering......real estate, people relocating, mortgages, appraisals, bankruptcies, deeds, legal descriptions, plat maps, FEMA maps, real estate sales contracts, and everything that goes with real estate, is my life 24/7, and I've been doing this since 1982. So, I'm not amazing, by any means.....just have worked in the business forever and I do what comes naturally. I always like to put what I know out there, to try and help people, if I can, and I actually figured C-D would have been a good avenue to assist newcomers. It doesn't hurt that I've been here since dirt, either.

To tell you the truth, I don't get accustomed to chicken smells, at all. I prefer not to deal with that odor, but that's life in Delaware. The orchards down the road from us have beautiful apples, peaches, strawberries, and other produce. They must fertilize those ..... naturally. Then there's cabbage.....When the cabbage is harvested, and the cabbage leaves rot, it is a horrible smell drifting through our little town. We are experts in recognizing the different odors!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,579,086 times
That is so funny.
I think it is great that you have lived in the state of DE all of your life.
I really enjoy going to visit DE every summer.
You are a good help to newcomers on CD.........and you've" been here since dirt" LOL

Old 05-14-2008, 06:41 PM

903 posts, read 3,493,568 times
Glad you posted this topic, Delly, as hubby and I are in the market now for our "permanent" home here in DE. Having moved here from rural NC, I will have to agree that certain agricultural odors do not grow on ya, no matter how long you're exposed to them! And you're right, folks that have lived in the country learn to identify the good, the bad, and the... plain old stinky!

After while, even the dirt obtains certain fragrances... ah, good, "clean" country air!

Mary

Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 PM

314 posts, read 927,582 times
Maryland and even its rural counties have right to farm laws...I thought delaware has these too....makes it in the deed kind of redundant but not a bad idea to inform right from the start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware