U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:03 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,112,319 times

Advertisements

Gosh, Oh Me..........at first I thought you meant the genuine June Bugs.......
You did mean the school kids right?

I usually love to see the teens, they are so much fun........so into enjoying life.
The first ones in the ocean every year at Surfside in SC are......a group of college
kids. We all giggle together.
One year, we still had coats on, it was a cold day. Those kids went in all the way. I mean not just a dip. It was practically after sunset too.........
They laughed, we laughed........those were the days!!!
After having pneumonia for two months this winter, I can't even bare the thought of it.
Burrrrrr......
Oh let me know new and exciting..........and anything two really little fellows might like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 AM

7,332 posts, read 10,765,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
If you feel like walking the beach nearly alone, drive north to just before Dewey. Pull in at Key Box and/or Tower Beaches. If you wait until after 6:00 pm there isn't a fee. You may see some fishermen and a few other walkers that time of day. They close the gates at dusk, but dusk isn't until after 8:00 in June.
Tower Road, Key Box......>>>Sigh>>> Memories of days gone by...When I was a little kid, 5-12 years old, we camped on those roads. We had an old pick-up truck, drove to the water's edge, and set up an old army tent. My mom and dad slept in the tent, and my sister and I slept in the back of the pick up truck, on straw covered with a big quilt. The next morning, we cooked eggs/bacon over a camp fire, and cleaned our frying pan in the sand. After breakfast, we surf fished for hours, and collected beautiful sea shells. The next 3-4 campers next to us were our neighbors in Smyrna, and we always saw the same people there....all locals.Treasured memories, for me. Now, there are tons of strange people, admission fees, designated parking and camping areas.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:06 AM

271 posts, read 902,240 times
If anybody's an early bird, it's still fun to arrive at Key Box, or one of the other roads, even in the touristy season. You often find you have the beach to yourself, or almost to yourself, until late morning. Take a picnic, enjoy it, then head for home while most people are still arriving.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:07 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,551,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
If anybody's an early bird, it's still fun to arrive at Key Box, or one of the other roads, even in the touristy season. You often find you have the beach to yourself, or almost to yourself, until late morning. Take a picnic, enjoy it, then head for home while most people are still arriving.
How early Annie? And where is Key Box located?

Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Annie! Guess I'll reb up the old pick up, drive it to the water's edge, pop up the old, tattered army tent, start a fire on the beach, cook my eggs, and enjoy myself! I'll call you to arrange my bail bond!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:12 AM

1,646 posts, read 4,463,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Tower Road, Key Box......>>>Sigh>>> Memories of days gone by...When I was a little kid, 5-12 years old, we camped on those roads. We had an old pick-up truck, drove to the water's edge, and set up an old army tent. My mom and dad slept in the tent, and my sister and I slept in the back of the pick up truck, on straw covered with a big quilt. The next morning, we cooked eggs/bacon over a camp fire, and cleaned our frying pan in the sand. After breakfast, we surf fished for hours, and collected beautiful sea shells. The next 3-4 campers next to us were our neighbors in Smyrna, and we always saw the same people there....all locals.Treasured memories, for me. Now, there are tons of strange people, admission fees, designated parking and camping areas.

And self-sealing jiffy johns/porta potties....with me inside.

Delly, when I was a kid we always went on the beach at the end of Ocean View Parkway. Just beside Addy Sea. Well, they tried to make Addy Sea look Victorian. Back then it was a big, old, seaside house with lace curtain blowing in the sea breeze. There was nearly no one on the beach in August. I have the old 8MM to prove it. We rented a cottage at the end of the Parkway (LOL!.....a sand covered lane) near what was then a two-lane road. Now it's a four-lane highway. I think 3 R's road must be named after the original owners of those cottages. Well, I'd like to think that it is anyway.

Do you remember how visible the huge, granite boulders use to be? The ones holding the beach together with the immense oak beams around them? I guess they're still there somewhere. I may be in for a shock. I haven't seen the beach since the 'improvements' they made last year.

Sleeping outdoors...making breakfast on the beach....surf fishing and looking for shells......ahhhhh.....we are lucky to be old enough to remember such wonderful opportunities. They don't exist anymore.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 AM

Delly and Rockky

Not QUITE the same as you remember from back in the olden days, I agree! But we have done this for the past 30 years. That is, pack a picnic, and get ourselves there early. Years ago, it was with the kids--up until they hit their teen years and lost interest in early excursions with parents! We still take ourselves there now and then. Last time, hubby found some beautiful, large whelks.

ElizaMary, I'm referring to Delaware Seashore Park, which is just south of Dewey Beach on Rte. 1. Going south, on the left are a number of roads which lead to the ocean dunes. (On the right, roads to the bay.) No lifeguards in most of these areas, by the way.

I guess we usually get there around 8 a.m. Next time, we'll go at 7 and scare Delly off the beach.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:34 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,551,020 times
[
ElizaMary, I'm referring to Delaware Seashore Park, which is just south of Dewey Beach on Rte. 1. Going south, on the left are a number of roads which lead to the ocean dunes. (On the right, roads to the bay.) No lifeguards in most of these areas, by the way.

I guess we usually get there around 8 a.m. Next time, we'll go at 7 and scare Delly off the beach. [/quote]

LOL........Something tells me she doesn't scare easily.

so this is Way down in Dewey Beach huh. I'm not familiar. Still getting my feet wet with Rehobeth.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
[

I guess we usually get there around 8 a.m. Next time, we'll go at 7 and scare Delly off the beach.
LOL........Something tells me she doesn't scare easily.

so this is Way down in Dewey Beach huh. I'm not familiar. Still getting my feet wet with Rehobeth.[/quote]

Eliza, Dewey borders Rehoboth! There's not even a gap between them, at least not that I've ever noticed! And the ride through Dewey only takes a couple minutes, so when you're in Rehoboth, I'd guess that you're not more than 3 miles north of the Park.

Think you're right about Delly not being easy to scare. I suspect the same could be said about Rockky. Seriously now, I'd like to sit and listen to the two of them reminisce. I think that would be a major treat.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Think you're right about Delly not being easy to scare. I suspect the same could be said about Rockky. Seriously now, I'd like to sit and listen to the two of them reminisce. I think that would be a major treat.
The Roc is tough, too! And, I say that lovingly
Actually, we have an appointment to meet and do just that!

Yep, Roc....I remember all of those boulders, climbing over them, and the 'way it was'........
So many new people think that when they get to Rehoboth Beach, that's the end of the line. Actually, the best is past Rehoboth, and along the bay/ocean. I ride with my windows down, hearing the surf to the east, and the bay waters sloshing to the west. That's the narrowest part of the State, for those not knowing. It's an absolutely beautiful drive, and how about that view from Indian River Bridge? Priceless! We've had vacation rentals in North Fenwick, which is gorgeous, also.....much better than the Rehoboth Beach chaos, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or